South America - Cruise Terminals/Airports - Free WiFi

Jade13

We will be in South America in a week. Our itinerary is below.

Does anyone know which ports will have free WiFi. Additionally, we will be spending some time in the Lima airport.

31 Mar 2012

Valparaiso (Santiago), Chile

Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile

Arica, Chile

General San Martin (Pisco), Peru

Callao (Lima), Peru ON

Guayaquil, Ecuador VC

Manta, Ecuador VC

Fuerte Amador, Panama ON TR

Fuerte Amador, Panama TR

Enter Panama Canal Balboa CO

San Blas Islands, Panama TR

Cruising San Blas Archipelago CO

Georgetown, Cayman Islands TR

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

New York, New York, US

Edited by Jade13

I'd personally be surprised if any ports have free Wi-Fi (at least which would reach the ship), apart from maybe (maybe) Ft. Lauderdale and New York City. You may find free or low-cost WiFi in some restaurants, etc. in some of the ports; at the least you should find LAN cafes in many of the ports (it's what we did when we cruised from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso 3 years ago, in order to avoid the expensive, and slow, Internet service on the ship). I wouldn't expect free many places. If you search with your laptop you may find some unknown services, but be very careful with that (as you would be in airports, etc.).

Edited by Fattony

Most of the ports we visited did not have free internet. Ask the crew where to get the most reasonable internet. They are very good at letting you know where you can get more reliable reasonable internet.

So far every hotel we are going to in Peru - Cusco, Sacred Valley, restaurant for lunch, and MP has free wiFi. I thought maybe we could find other hotspots.

So far every hotel we are going to in Peru - Cusco, Sacred Valley, restaurant for lunch, and MP has free wiFi. I thought maybe we could find other hotspots.

Hotels and ports (which may cater more to cargo ships than cruise ships anyway) quite different. 3 years ago we relied on LAN cafes, but you may find more free Wi-Fi than in the past. Caveat emptor when using unknown services, of course. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

At Grand Cayman, we had great WIFI connection at the Guy Harvey restaurant overlooking the main street and the bay. Of course, we had a couple of drinks there too! We also noticed some cruise staff on the main street utilizing what appeared to be a hot spot.

Try googling this topic - I found free WIFI spots in Europe last year that way.

• 3 years later...
We will be in South America in a week. Our itinerary is below.

Does anyone know which ports will have free WiFi. Additionally, we will be spending some time in the Lima airport.

31 Mar 2012

Valparaiso (Santiago), Chile

Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile

Arica, Chile

General San Martin (Pisco), Peru

Callao (Lima), Peru ON

Guayaquil, Ecuador VC

Manta, Ecuador VC

Fuerte Amador, Panama ON TR

Fuerte Amador, Panama TR

Enter Panama Canal Balboa CO

San Blas Islands, Panama TR

Cruising San Blas Archipelago CO

Georgetown, Cayman Islands TR

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

New York, New York, US

Hi, I was wondering if you ever find out if Valparaiso cruise terminal has free or cheap WiFi? Also, I will be walking off with my luggage and disembarking in Valpraiso and am wondering how long does it take from the time I leave the ship, take the shuttle to cruise terminal, go through security, customs, etc.. . to the time I can exit the terminal to meet my driver/guide. If you know the answer, I would appreciate any info/input you can give me as I will be going there very soon.

Thank you so much.

We have been to many of these ports. I don't know for sure if any have wifi, but I doubt if they do.

Most of the ports have either a modest terminal or no real terminal. We found an internet cafe in La Serena near the town square.

Hi, I was wondering if you ever find out if Valparaiso cruise terminal has free or cheap WiFi? .....

Thank you so much.

We were on a B2B2B South American series last spring. We had a turnaround day in Valparaiso in March, 2015 and at that time there a fee based WiFi kiosk in the cruise terminal. Signs were in both English and Spanish, and the kiosk was located near the food booth. We didn't use it, but saw a number of staff and crew members there.

We were on a B2B2B South American series last spring. We had a turnaround day in Valparaiso in March, 2015 and at that time there a fee based WiFi kiosk in the cruise terminal. Signs were in both English and Spanish, and the kiosk was located near the food booth. We didn't use it, but saw a number of staff and crew members there.

Thank you so so much.