This is a contest....

Ziggy7

Welcome back cruisinjudy, we've missed your posts :)

I am confused, I thought a pilot brought the ship in to dock and took it out before they turned it over to the Captain ??? Am I wrong ????

If I'm not mistaken the pilot advises/directs the Captain as to where the ship goes as it passes thru the shipping channels. The Captain gives the orders to the helmsman based on the pilots directions. But I think the docking is out of the pilots directions and totally in the Captains hands. Unfortunatly the Captian will probably pay the price for this accident.

Ziggy, 2rg's understanding is the same as mine. I've always been led to believe the pilot (who supposedly best knows the approach to the harbor) directs the captain into port and then the captain "parks" the ship at the quay.

If I'm not mistaken the pilot advises/directs the Captain as to where the ship goes as it passes thru the shipping channels. The Captain gives the orders to the helmsman based on the pilots directions. But I think the docking is out of the pilots directions and totally in the Captains hands. Unfortunatly the Captian will probably pay the price for this accident.
Thank You very much for explaining that :)

The big question is about the 4-knot current. If it's a predictable thing resulting from tides, then both the captain and pilot should have had knowledge of it. If it was caused by recent weather, then the pilot should have had the knowledge and told the captain. The wind itself would have been evident, although it may have suddenly increased just as they were docking.

Costa Maya is still a rather new cruise port, and so knowledge of currents under all conditions may not be as complete as for long-established ports.

As for the captain, he may get off with a blemish in his record if he otherwise has a clean record and he could not have foreseen the current. After all, cruise lines don't want to skip ports, or be late docking more often than they really have to since that costs $$$ also. In the grand scheme of things, this, although highly visible and embarrassing, has to be classed as a 'minor' incident and a captain can probably survive if he has just one on his record.

Archived