When cruising out of Miami

PaddleAddict

Its a crap shoot really. Miami can be a pain, but FLL is further from the port. So you have to take the extra time (and expense) to get to the port. So I'd go by where you can get the most affordable flight. You can even go to West Palm Beach and take the train. There's a train (forget the name) that travels between WPB->FLL->MIA...so you can get very affordable transportation from FLL and WPB if you really wanted to go to the trouble.

Is it better to fly into Ft. Lauderdale? How far is it from the port of Miami?

I have heard bad things about the Miami airport.

Price wise it's better. We saved about $100 each on our flights and we booked them 2 months in advance..

But like they said it's 45 minutes away from the port, that's the only negative I can come up with.

Price wise it's better. We saved about $100 each on our flights and we booked them 2 months in advance..

But like they said it's 45 minutes away from the port, that's the only negative I can come up with.

regarding the distance, Carnival will take to to the ship from either airport. $15 from Miami and $30 from Fort Lauderdale.

So I would add those in and see whats best in price. For me, all the research I did shows me Fort Lauderdale is the better value even considering the extra $15 to Carnival to take me to the port.

(I only looked at when I am leaving so I am not sure it Fort Lauderdale is typically cheaper)

We fly into FLL when we cruise out of Miami. For us, it's much cheaper.

We use www.ridesas.com to get from FLL to Miami. I think it's about $15pp.

It is more convenient to fly into MIA.

I'd price it out for both airports and transportation back and forth and see what works best for you.

regarding the distance, Carnival will take to to the ship from either airport. $15 from Miami and $30 from Fort Lauderdale.

So I would add those in and see whats best in price. For me, all the research I did shows me Fort Lauderdale is the better value even considering the extra $15 to Carnival to take me to the port.

(I only looked at when I am leaving so I am not sure it Fort Lauderdale is typically cheaper)

We actually found a shuttle for $11pp because it's a pretty big group of us.

& I guess I should have mentioned that FLL is probably cheaper for me than Miami b/c it's closer to me [i live in GA]

We fly into FLL when we cruise out of Miami. For us, it's much cheaper.

We use www.ridesas.com to get from FLL to Miami. I think it's about $15pp.

It is more convenient to fly into MIA.

I'd price it out for both airports and transportation back and forth and see what works best for you.

We do the same with the addition of coming in a day early/staying a day after and staying at Embassy Suites FLL. SAS picks us up at the hotel and gets us to POM and reverse when we get back usually within 30-45 minutes.

Love the Miami airport. Never had a problem. Get off the plane. Get my luggage, walk out the door (take a deep breath of HOT South Florida air...awwww) jump in my $24 dollar cab and I'm at the cruise port in no time at all. Easy!!

Yes, it is.

i find FLL must easier on the travel fatigue. MIA is huge and you can walk what seems like miles if there's a gate change. but either one will get you to and from (after the sailing),the port as the previous posters stated (either by carnival transfer or private shuttle taxi).

it depends on your personal preference. i have a smaller airport near my home that has flights to FLL, but not MIA. after awhile, i stopped traveling to the city airports to get flights to MIA. it just didn't make any sense for me to stick with the added stress of leaving my house 2 to 3 hours earlier than necessary to build in time for potential traffic and security line issues when all i needed to deal with was a fairly short ride once i arrived.

i take a shuttle or taxi to my hotel on arrival the day before, and take the carnival transfer on the way back after the cruise. it works perfectly. the ride (to me) is shorter than the ride from MCO to port canaveral.

I've flown into both and never had a problem either way.

I do like not having that 45 minute ride from FLL airport that is avoided by flying into MIA. And nowadays, from here anyway, there is minimal difference in fares to fly to either (FLL is getting crazy, MIA is stable - crazy)

I am in the same situation for January of 2013 and was wondering if you then stay overnight in FLL or MIA as we are going in a day early?

I would prefer FLL for both, but was wondering if that is a PAIN in the morning get to POM?

Thanks!!

We always go at least a day early and stay in Miami.

Just makes for a shorter ride to the ship.

The Miami airport experience for us has always been perfectly fine, no problems or delays. Sometimes it's a bit cheaper to fly into FLL, but you need to factor in the transportation costs to & from MIA if you do that.

We live near the GA/FL line and the rates to fly from JAX to MIA are unreal. We are crusing in July and the cost was $300 per person for roundtrip JAX to MIA plus the charge for luggage.... In comparison, to fly from JAX to FLL using southwest, it was only $191 per person. This also included free bags. Even if we pay more to get from FLL to MIA by shuttle, taxi, etc, the cost to fly into FLL makes more sense.

In the longrun, we decided just to drive to MIA and not fly.

Archived