How/when do I remove gratuities

m2dd's

We have never sailed with carnival but have done several other cruises:D

We like to pay our servers and stewards directly on the last night of our trip in cash. We do not want it added to our sail account. Does carnival give you envelopes like some other lines do or do I need to bring my own?

BTW- We always pay the recommended amount plus extras along the way so I'm not asking to start a debate on tipping just how to do it in cash and not have it charged to my sail account.

TIA

You would go to Guest Services. I'm sure they will be able to tell you how to tip all the other people that are part of the tip pool other than your head waiter, team waiter, assistant waiter, cabin steward, morning assistant cabin steward and evening assistant cabin steward.

Perhaps you should bring a roll of dimes or nickles to pass out in the Lido buffet to tip what ever service staff happens to be there during the meals or snacks you plan on having up there or at any of the other venue's where you might have to be picked up after.

But I suppose it would be difficult to keep track of all of those people if you're wanting to wait until the end of the week to pay your tips. Maybe for the portion of the tips that aren't intended for the dining room waitstaff or the cabin steward teams you could leave those tips on your S&S card so everyone else would get their fare share.

I'm not asking to start a debate on tipping

Good luck with that!

Yes' date=' you can remove your tips by going to Guest Relations.

You can also try to schedule a [u']Behind the Scenes Tour[/u] so that you can meet all the people that you will be stiffing by removing the tips!:rolleyes:

We like to pay our servers and stewards directly on the last night of our trip in cash. We do not want it added to our sail account. Does carnival give you envelopes like some other lines do or do I need to bring my own?

BTW- We always pay the recommended amount plus extras along the way so I'm not asking to start a debate on tipping just how to do it in cash and not have it charged to my sail account.

TIA

You've been on this site a while, right? You've read why auto tips are there, right? You know you are omitting other important people necessary for your cruise comfort and enjoyment if you remove auto tips, right? If you were a "behind the scene" worker and lost out wages because you removed auto tips, and knew only your steward got a tip and you helped that steward get that tip, how would you feel getting shut off?

Ohh boy.

Since its almost lunch, I'll grab the popcorn while I'm at it.:rolleyes:

I would never remove the tips. They work so hard!!! I always add more on top of what's already taken.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but this has been discussed before. :oI hope you understand that those tips are in place for a reason. It would be almost impossible to track down ALL of the ppl that serve you while your enjoying your vacation.

Giving extra makes my heart smile. But that's just me.

Whatever you do,truly I do hope you have a wonderful vacation:)

Good luck with that!

Yes, you can remove your tips by going to Guest Relations.

You can also try to schedule a Behind the Scenes Tour so that you can meet all the people that you will be stiffing by removing the tips!:O

Hmmm... This would make me sad to see!!

TIA

"I'm not asking to start a debate .... " Sure. I believe you. ;)

TIA

Absolutely. Just go to guest services and have them remove them. When asked, just let them know your tipping preference.

And don't let anyone here guilt you into thinking your method is anything less than acceptable. Some workers like this as it gets them their money quicker.

I don't know how Carnival handles this, but on a recent NCL trip the person next to me at the customer service desk tried to remove tips for the same reason. She was told about all the other people that would get stiffed, and they suggested she only remove half, which she did. Not sure if they then direct that half just to the behind the scenes people, or if everyone got only 50%

I know this is a little off topic but I really like the way NCL handles this issue and wish that Carnival would do the same thing. On NCL when a passenger removes the auto-tips, any cash that is given to an employee must be turned in to be distributed amongst the group the same way an auto tip would be distributed. Any tip given in excess of the standard amount is kept by the employee who received it.

In some cultures it is not customary to tip. I generally do not leave a tip when I stay in hotel rooms in the US. I never get the room cleaned, on a daily basis. I leave the room clean, trash in the receptical. All I need is towels. I would assume working in a hotel room, as a legal legit employee you must be making at least minimum wage.

I do tip on cruises, but I am not a big fan of the rising suggested tipping amount.

Do whatever works for you.

If you don't want the gratuities added to your Sign & sail account, why not pre-pay them instead? That way no one gets "stiffed", and you can always pay an additional gratuity in cash to the staff members of your choice at the end of your cruise. Ta-Da! Problem solved!:D

Absolutely. Just go to guest services and have them remove them. When asked, just let them know your tipping preference.

And don't let anyone here guilt you into thinking your method is anything less than acceptable. Some workers like this as it gets them their money quicker.

And some behind the scenes workers will be upset about working for nothing!

Can we use our OBC towards tips?

Since the OBC goes on your S&S account as a "plus", and the auto-tips, along with your onboard purchases, would technically be lumped together as a "minus", then the answer would be "yes".

Since the OBC goes on your S&S account as a "plus", and the auto-tips, along with your onboard purchases, would technically be lumped together as a "minus", then the answer would be "yes".

Thanks we will have a OBC with our new booking, we dont drink we are not doing any excursions just taking it easy so the OBC wont be used so I thought it would be great if we could apply them to our tips.

It's only $11.50 per day per person. so to me it's no big deal, and i always tip extra. Where else can you get all of this good servise for $11.50 per day ? just my 2 cent worth.

Thats 320 a week for a family of 4, which is more then im willing to pay for a cruise fare not including taxes.

Archived