Chairs for Sleeping

NanaAnn

We are new to cruising. DH recently had shoulder replacement and has had a rapid decline with arthritis in his back so he can only sleep comfortably in a Lazyboy. Does Princess have these available?

The only chair I can think of that would be close is the reclining deck chair on Caribe deck and mini-suite balconies. The chair has a higher back than regular balcony chairs and it does recline somewhat. It does not have support for lower legs and it is not padded.

There should be enough room in a regular cabin to accommodate the chair at night. There would be plenty of room in a mini-suite.

Lew

You could try to experiment at home with pillows to see if you can get a good configuration that would make it more comfortable and then ask the steward for that many extra pillows, I do that. the only hotel I've been in that had a recliner was a drury inn in Denver, and it was a business cat room.

You got me thinking though, I wonder if the captain has a recliner:D

Thank you, everyone! I think those ideas might work. The pillow idea also made me wonder if a wedge would work. Has anyone tried that?

If there is anyone else out there who has needs for hotel recliners, DH has found that many hotels, are able to accommodate, if asked. Yes, Drury Inns and Candlewood Suites, too, have recliners in most rooms.

For the sake of your husband please make sure you have a workable solution before you reserve a cruise. Otherwise he might have a very uncomfortable time and may not want to go again. There are deck loungers and other chairs on the ship BUT they are rather large and would not fit in most cabins. This sounds like a medical problem that someone with Princess should be able to help with. Make sure you get confirmation of anything said over the phone before putting any money down. Hope the both of you have a great cruise and enjoy yourselves.

Call either "special needs at sea" or "care vacations" to see if they will rent you a recliner. If they rent them then call the special needs desk at Princess and they will remove one of the twin beds giving you enough room for the chair. I think it would be extremely tight to have a standard room (anything less than a suite really) with a chair.

Wow! Even more great ideas. We are in a minisuite as I thought the extra room might be needed so we should be okay there. I will call Princess closer to our sail date when we have a better handle on his needs. We asked his orthopedist about even going, and he told us to "go for it!". This is the vacation we have dreamed of for at least 20 of our 35 years together. DH has a positive attitude and pushes himself. We aren't going to let the challenges get in our way!

Just as a follow up what we ended up doing for my father-in-law is bringing one of the bed pillows that prop you up and also ordering an egg crate pad and lots of extra pillows. He was able to sleep comfortably using these items to help cushion and prop him up even though we weren't able to get a recliner for him.

I bring the reclining deck chair in at night and either use the chair in the room or the bed as a footrest. I also put a pillow behind my head. This has worked for me on several cruises.

It has been posted that the reclining chairs on the deck have been removed and replace with nonreclining chairs. Check our the post about New Deck furniture on the Grand. I have not seem any reclining chairs on Princess ships.

We are new to cruising. DH recently had shoulder replacement and has had a rapid decline with arthritis in his back so he can only sleep comfortably in a Lazyboy. Does Princess have these available?

I am so understanding of what you are going through. My husband had a shoulder replacement a week ago. The cabins ( even the suites) do not have anything close to a lazy-boy. While it is very possible you can make him comfortable in bed, sitting during the day may be difficult. The doctor told him to wait at leaset 6 months to cruise as it would be a nighmare if the soulder dislocated.

It has been posted that the reclining chairs on the deck have been removed and replace with nonreclining chairs. Check our the post about New Deck furniture on the Grand. I have not seem any reclining chairs on Princess ships.

I recently sailed on the Golden on Caribe deck and the back of the chair had three different positions on it. I looked at the pictures in the other post and its the same chair. If you notice the chair back is reclined.

I had a shoulder reconstruction and too need to sleep pretty much sleep sitting up. I have done at least five cruises since then. Have your husband experiment with pillows - I use 6-7. Princess has been wonderful about giving all the pillows I need. Good luck. I know flndng that "perfect" position can be tough.

Call either "special needs at sea" or "care vacations" to see if they will rent you a recliner. If they rent them then call the special needs desk at Princess and they will remove one of the twin beds giving you enough room for the chair. I think it would be extremely tight to have a standard room (anything less than a suite really) with a chair.

The HC rooms have larger rooms. Perhaps a chair would fit in there. Super 8 also have recliners (on land) according to my brother who needs to sleep in recliner for breathing issues. Would a medical bed work and can they be rented from care vacations and placed in a HC room?

I saw a recliner in a room on a cruise but can't remember if it was Princess or not. The lady I talked with said she rented it for her hubby. It was a lazy boy and the back and seat were separate and then put together after it was delivered. Just asked my husband about that and he got up from his recliner and showed me how that works. There is a latch that lets the back separate from the bottom. Who knew??? Anyway, it would go through a door no problem.

Your ideas are helping. We tried pillows last night, and he actually slept in bed for a little over an hour. We have three months to increase that time so he can sleep all night. If that doesn't work, we will call Princess for guidance. Thank you for all your suggestions!

Archived