Terravision airport Bus FCO to Rome

RTLS

10 Euro may do it, or it may be a little on the low side, depending on traffic. I've paid as much as 15 Euro when you add on the extra fees for luggage.

Thanks! Good thing I waited for some questions to be answered before booking the Terravision tickets. When I asked my husband if he'd prefer a taxi from FCO to the hotel @ 40 euros, a shared shuttle bus from FCO to the hotel @ 31 euros, or the Terravision bus + taxi to the hotel for ~ 20 euros - he preferred the taxi from the airport!

I'm with him! Public transit is great and makes a lot of sense in certain situations, especially when traveling alone, but when you've got two or more people other options start to look better.

I'm glad to know you agree with him! As long as he is the one who prefers the pricier option - it's fine. Too bad he wasn't interested in splurging on the Celebrity suite with the grand piano! :D

Thank you for all of the info about the Terravision bus! About how long should it take from the time our plane lands at FCO until we go through customs, get our bags, and go to the bus stop? Our plane from Chicago is scheduled to land at 9:15 a.m., and the choices for the bus are 10:25 or 11:05. Is 10:25 cutting it too close? If I book the 11:05 and we get through customs quickly, can we board the earlier bus? ...

Which airline are you flying from Chicago? Euro Cruiser mentioned sometimes you have to get off on the tarmac and take a bus to the building. We also fly from Chicago. We've had to do that both ways (arriving and departing) on American, but we had a gate both ways on Alitalia.

We have found going through Immigration when arriving at FCO is fast, but we have to wait a while at baggage claim.

Edited by D4

Which airline are you flying from Chicago? Euro Cruiser mentioned sometimes you have to get off on the tarmac and take a bus to the building. We also fly from Chicago. We've had to do that both ways (arriving and departing) on American, but we had a gate both ways on Alitalia.

We have found going through Immigration when arriving at FCO is fast, but we have to wait a while at baggage claim.

We are flying on American from Chicago. I'm not looking forward to the bus from the tarmac to the terminal, but at least it's a non-stop flight.

We are flying on American from Chicago. I'm not looking forward to the bus from the tarmac to the terminal, but at least it's a non-stop flight.

Just because we had that experience on our American ORD-FCO nonstop flights doesn't mean you will. But at least you won't be surprised if it does.

After experiencing the Terravision bus, I'm sold on that as far preferable to the train from FCO to Termini, especially in a case (like yours) when you are not rushing to connect to another train at Termini.

While there is a way to get to Civitavecchia by bus, it requires changes and isn't particularly straightforward. The train really is the way to go if you are using public transit. You'll have the following options:

• a regional train (no reserved seating, many stops along the way) for Euro 4.50
  • an Intercity (IC) train (reserved seating possible, only one stop between Termini and Civitavecchia) for Euro 9.50 (you can get a slightly lower price by purchasing in advance on the Trenitalia web site)
  • a Frecciabianca high speed train (reserved seating mandatory, non stop Termini to Civitavecchia) for Euro 14.50 (again, lower fares possible by purchasing in advance

I've just booked my bus transfer from FCO to Termini on your advice -- thanks! Now, I'm looking into the "regional" train or IC train from Termini to Civitavecchia. I'm leaning towards the regional train due to cost. Do you know where I can get info/purchase tickets for the regional train? You mentioned the Trenitalia web site for the IC train. Does this same website apply?

Secondly, what would you recommend as transportation from Civitavecchia back to FCO the following week? We plan to leave the ship around 9:00 am and our flight out of FCO is at 13:30. Thanks so much for your invaluable information.

Edited by canadianfam

I just found a website italiarail.com that is asking specific information regarding the departure and destination. There are two choices for departure:

Termini or Termini Imerese.

There are four choices for Civitavecchia:

Civitavecchia

Civitavecchia - All stations

Civitavecchia Mma

Civitavecchia V.V

Our hotel is a few minutes from Termini Station and our destination is the station closest to the cruise port.

Thanks again.

I just found a website italiarail.com that is asking specific information regarding the departure and destination.

Do yourself a favor and work with the actual Italian rail site, not a reseller. You're not going to get better prices.

Roma Termini is the main train station in Rome (the others are Aurelia, Nomentana, Ostiense, Prenestina, San Pietro, Trastevere, and Tuscolana). Civitavecchia is the only train station in Civitavecchia.

The Italian rail web site (English language version) is: http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

Do yourself a favor and work with the actual Italian rail site, not a reseller. You're not going to get better prices.

Roma Termini is the main train station in Rome (the others are Aurelia, Nomentana, Ostiense, Prenestina, San Pietro, Trastevere, and Tuscolana). Civitavecchia is the only train station in Civitavecchia.

The Italian rail web site (English language version) is: http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

Thanks for your very prompt response. When I go to the site you directed, it takes me to the Trenitalia page, which does not let me book the 11:12 Regional, nor will it give me a price. The only available on May 27th is at 12:10 on the 9768 FRECCIABIANCA. It was mentioned to me that the regional train tickets are not available for sale on line until a few days before departure. Could this be the reason it does not come up?

Regional trains can only be booked seven days in advance.

If you are going to be in Rome for a few days, you can just stop by the station (you said you're staying near Termini, right?) and pick up tickets from one of the machines. It only takes a few minutes, the machines are all touch screen and offer multiple language options.

By the way, the regional train fare from Termini to Civitavecchia is Euro 4,50.

Edited by euro cruiser

Just for general information, I arrive at FCO at 10 am and purchased the Terravision bus for 11 AM. As to the taxi, my hotel in Rione Monti (near the Colosseum) advised that a taxi from Termini should be approximately 13E.

My hotel is a short walk from Termini, so I will be able to skip the taxi. It will also be handy for taking the train the next day to Civitavecchia. :)

Just got back from a trip to Italy and used the Terravision bus to get from FCO to Termini, thence to catch a train to Naples. It was as simple as could be, low stress, and the 4 euro price was especially attractive.

Do be aware that space for stowables inside the bus is extremely limited. If you have a large carry-on, be prepared to put it under the bus or hold it on your lap for the whole trip.

• 4 years later...

FCO to Rome Termini transfer

I was going to book Terravision bus instead of the express train, but it seems alot of people have difficulties with late,full buses. Anyone use Terravision, or TAM recently and how was the experience?

Thanx Euro. We were only considering pre-booking to ensure a seat because we've read that there can be crowds (we arrive end of September..hopefully slower season?) but then after reading reviews about terravision and tam it seems the service and schedule can be less than ideal.

If we had prebooked and something went wrong, worse case we'd only be out 8euro and could take the direct train for example.

In 2012 you recommended pre-booking...what changed your mind?

Edited by dj2017

LOL, maybe it was the context,

"March 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM

10,000+ Club

Taxis from the airport into central Rome have a fixed fare of 40 Euro. More information on the city's web site here: http://www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal...se_aero_eng.wp

Many things can impact how long it takes to clear passport control and get your bags, but in general I'd say it hasn't taken more than an hour (I travel through FCO once or twice a year).

Some of the possible impacts:

if you are on Alitalia there's a good chance you won't have a gate; frequently they disembark their planes on the tarmac and you take a bus to the terminal building. This extra step can add up to 30 minutes to your time.

multiple planes arriving at the same time - generally passport control reacts pretty quickly to this problem, but every now and then you can get stuck on line for 15 minutes or so

slow luggage - this is probably the most common problem. The last time I arrived at FCO (last month) our bags were already up by the time I got there (made a quick bathroom stop on the way, other than that we sped right through), but I have waited up to 30 minutes in the past

As to which bus to book, given that they will let you on a later bus if you miss the one you booked, I'd go ahead and book the earlier one and hope for the best.

Last edited by euro cruiser; March 31st, 2012 at 07:18 PM."

Reading that it sounds like I was responding to someone who wanted to book ahead and was only asking about timing. On public forums, responding to people I don't know, it sometimes makes more sense to give them the information they want rather than try and change their mind about what they want to do. Some people simply can't relax and enjoy their trip unless they have everything nailed down in advance, even if that means having to make a change on the spot. If that's you, by all means purchase ahead. You understand the costs if it doesn't work out and it doesn't seem like much of a risk.

Yes, book Terravision in advance. It is just one less thing you have to worry about at the end of your flight. No problem if you are early or late for the bus you sign up for. My dh and I have used the bus many times in past trips in Spring and Fall and did not find a crowd in line for the bus. DD, her children and I used it again this July and had no problems at all.