Express Checkout, do you have to leave the ship that early?

I see all the posts of people using express checkout and walking off the ship at around 6-7am. Is that the required time for using that service or can you walk off whenever you please? Wondering since our return flight is for 11:15am out of FLL. We don't wan't to walk off Oasis between 6-7am to sit in the airport for over 5 hours but also don't want to chance being late by doing the normal departure process.

I see all the posts of people using express checkout and walking off the ship at around 6-7am. Is that the required time for using that service or can you walk off whenever you please? Wondering since our return flight is for 11:15am out of FLL. We don't wan't to walk off Oasis between 6-7am to sit in the airport for over 5 hours but also don't want to chance being late by doing the normal departure process.

We had an 11:15 FLL flight last year with Oasis and found that the disembarkation is very smooth and fast compared with the Port of Miami and FLL is also relatively fast with security, etc. We were in the departure line on the the ship around 8:30 and at the airport by 9:15, dropped of our bags and were through security and at the gate by about 10:00 - 10:15. We did not schedule express checkout and in fact had some confusion with our departure time which originally showed 9:00. We simply went to the front desk and they told us just to get in line with the next departure (which was the 8:30) and we were fine. You can get off earlier and also carry your luggage with you to help expidite the process if you want, but our experience last year showed that wasn't necessary. We hope this holds true again this year, but may leave around 7:30 or 8:00 to help assure our timing. Oasis wants everyone out of their staterooms by 8:00 and off the ship by about 9:30 or so anyway.

They seem to have priority over the other ships at FLL to disembark so they really try to clear the ship early. Remember you can also get on that ship a bit earlier than the others.

Usually 11:00am so they really need to clean it up.

We each take a rolling carryon & a large rolling suitcase. I am pulling a bag behind me in each hand. Picture this when everyone else is doing the same....no one cares.

Now... you are in a crowd where everyone else checked their luggage & they are trying to get around you because you are blocking the narrow hallways or taking up a lot of space in the elevator....

Not that people do not do this. I think we left about 7:30.

The longer you wait to get to the airport, the longer the lines you can encounter.

I spent a few days in FLL two years ago and completely forgot about the cruiseships coming back in on Saturday when we were flying home. We had a 10:30 am flight and BARELY made it, and that was with getting to the airport 1.5 hours early. The lines through security were at least 200-300 people deep.

For an 11 am flight, I'd feel most comfortable getting to the airport no later than 8:30. I'd personally rather be sitting waiting a while at the gate than standing in a security line wondering if I'm going to make my flight :eek:

Yes, you are supposed to go off when the call the self disembark group. Yes, it is early but that is kind of the point. Once they start calling the regular groups, it is difficult if people are dragging a lot of luggage. Others will wait and just leave whenever but that is not how it is supposed to work.

Can't you use express check-out and the luggage valet both so that you don't have to carry your own luggage off the ship?

How early would the first disembark group be called? Trying to weigh all of our options here.

And thank you everyone for the replies thus far, great information...

Can't you use express check-out and the luggage valet both so that you don't have to carry your own luggage off the ship?

How early would the first disembark group be called? Trying to weigh all of our options here.

And thank you everyone for the replies thus far, great information...

Your flight is too early to use luggage valet, I think. Check out the program details but your flight has to be after either 11:30 or noon, I forget the exact time.

Your flight really isn't too early for that ship and terminal. That terminal was built specifically to deal with that ship and if you read other threads, you will see that people get off that ship faster than other smaller sized ships at the same port.

If you request an early disembark time, you will have plenty of time to retrieve your luggage and get to the airport.

RCCL does not want you to walk off with luggage once they begin general debarkation. You ARE suppose to get off at the scheduled time for using the express service. Lots of people will be doing so and dragging alot of luggage which really slows things down. That is why they give express checkout plenty of time to get off before they open up the debarkation to everyone else. Oasis gets priority and is the easiest ship to debark, imo. You will be at the airport in plenty of time if you follow the departure instructions.

Archived