Telephone Service on Princess

dfields1814

I just found out that my business in CA would like me to participate in teleconference over the telephone. Only problem is that on the day of the meeting I will be on the Emerald sailing toward FLL about 200 miles out to sea.

Does anyone know what the rate per minute Princess charges? (Luckily my business will pay. The meeting should be about 3 hours long.) Is the connection by phone good i.e. is it clear and doesn't cut our or drop the connection? Is it possible to be able to have a teleconference while at sea? I don't have a clue about any of this in that I never have used the phone on Princess except to place a reservation and order room service!!!

Thanks in advance for your help

From Princess' website:

Calls can also be charged to a credit card in both the US and Canada by dialing 877-656-7447. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card (not Canadian) are all accepted. The cost for each call is $8.95 USD per minute or $11.95 CAD per minute and is subject to change without notice.

So roughly $1,600 for three hours, I'd think.

There is no guarantee that the cell service will be working. :( It's via satellite and can be as finicky as the Internet. Paying for the Internet and using Skype is also not a good idea as it's a huge bandwidth hog and not very reliable, particularly if you need connection for more than a few minutes. Many ships block Skype or other VOIP.

I just found out that my business in CA would like me to participate in teleconference over the telephone. Only problem is that on the day of the meeting I will be on the Emerald sailing toward FLL about 200 miles out to sea.

Does anyone know what the rate per minute Princess charges? (Luckily my business will pay. The meeting should be about 3 hours long.) Is the connection by phone good i.e. is it clear and doesn't cut our or drop the connection? Is it possible to be able to have a teleconference while at sea? I don't have a clue about any of this in that I never have used the phone on Princess except to place a reservation and order room service!!!

Thanks in advance for your help

I would reconsider that call unless you are prepared to pay a significant amount. Tell them you are on vacation!

There is no guarantee that the cell service will be working. :( It's via satellite and can be as finicky as the Internet. Paying for the Internet and using Skype is also not a good idea as it's a huge bandwidth hog and not very reliable, particularly if you need connection for more than a few minutes. Many ships block Skype or other VOIP.

I recently noticed that shipboard calls (at least those made by crew)

are routed over a commercial VOIP service.

Archived