Radiance of the seas cabin 8166

I have this cabin booked for Alaska summer of 2013 on the Radiance. Looking at the deck plan it looks like there is a frame projection that hinders the aft view.

Anybody has any experience with this cabin ? Any pics of the balcony might help.

Also, is there a means to keep tab on the available cabins for your sailing ?

If you stand at the rail, you'll be able to see aft somewhat.....unless you're backing up, the view will be fine. The extra balcony space is nice! And the enclosed space is great for a nap!

In reality, the best viewing for scenic views is best on an open deck, where you can see both sides!

The only way to check on avail. cabins is to call frequently or do "mock" bookings online.

If you stand at the rail, you'll be able to see aft somewhat.....unless you're backing up, the view will be fine. The extra balcony space is nice! And the enclosed space is great for a nap!

In reality, the best viewing for scenic views is best on an open deck, where you can see both sides!

The only way to check on avail. cabins is to call frequently or do "mock" bookings online.

What enclosed space ?

I have this cabin booked for Alaska summer of 2013 on the Radiance. Looking at the deck plan it looks like there is a frame projection that hinders the aft view.

Anybody has any experience with this cabin ? Any pics of the balcony might help.

I have checked the deck plan for cabin 8166 and it is not listed as a restricted view cabin, it does show the insignia for a adjoining cabin and a pull out bunk bed.

Check the deck plan again and look at the colour indicating the cabin you are in , (left hand side of the deck plan) and you will see the list of those cabins with restricted views. Hope this helps.

Good cruising,

Bob

Edited by decade nce

Also, can somebody tell me whether 8166 is port side or starboard ? I can never get this correct.

Thanks

Narsi

8166 is on the port side [your left as you face the front or bow of the ship]. For what it is worth, here is a picture looking aft from our cabin [8654] which is the 6th cabin forward of 8166 on the opposite side of the ship [starboard]. Taken aboard Radiance just before sail away from San Diego last May.

P1020413.jpg?t=1323186751

Edited by mjldvlks

8166 is on the port side [your left as you face the front or bow of the ship]. For what it is worth, here is a picture looking aft from our cabin [8654] which is the 6th cabin forward of 8166 on the opposite side of the ship [starboard]. Taken aboard Radiance just before sail away from San Diego last May.

P1020413.jpg?t=1323186751

So the curve that you see at the end is where 8166 would be on the other side !!? If 8654 is on the other side of 8166 and 8166 is port side, than how come you are seeing the port docks from 8654 in your pic !!! I feel like a first grade kid now !! :(

So the curve that you see at the end is where 8166 would be on the other side !!?

That would be correct. It is Cabin 8666. It looks like 8666 nad 8166 have somewhat larger balconies which would -- to me -- be more than adequate trade off for any loss of view to the rear [which I don't much care for anyway].

If 8654 is on the other side of 8166 and 8166 is port side, than how come you are seeing the port docks from 8654 in your pic !!! I feel like a first grade kid now !! :(

The ships can and do dock with either side to the pier. Trying to remember our cruises, seems to me about 50/50. Just try to remember port is left and starboard is right. Heard once that this developed because old [like almost ancient] vessels had a steering oar instead of a rudder. This device was typically on the right side [because it was more convenient for right handed sailors]. Therefore the vessels would dock to the left to avoid damaging the steering oar. Starboard apparently derives from a Norse word for rudder and "board meaning side of the ship rather than a corruption of "steering board" which is what I always thought. Since the maneuvering gear for modern vessels is underneath, this convention is no longer expedient but the use of starboard and "the other side" stuck. The left side was once referred to as "Larboard" but sometime [i think] in the 19th century, became referred to as "port" because "Starboard" and "Larboard" were too similar.

Edited by mjldvlks

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Sorry to revive an old post

I got assigned this cabin for my cruise based on a guarantee.

Do you mind sharing pictures (if you still have them from a few years ago?)

Thanks!

Thanks!

I was on that cruise and answered the question then, a copy is enclosed.

I have checked the deck plan for cabin 8166 and it is not listed as a restricted view cabin, it does show the insignia for a adjoining cabin and a pull out bunk bed.

Check the deck plan again and look at the color indicating the cabin you are in , (left hand side of the deck plan) and you will see the list of those cabins with restricted views, the only one close to you with a restricted view is cabin # 8164

Hope this helps.

Good cruising,

Bob

Thanks!

Let me first reiterate...there is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of any structure hiding your view. It is a gorgeous cabin. We loved it. Unable to upload the pics due to size. Have given links to it from my facebook Not sure how helpful it is but this is what we have :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626103754067250&set=a.626103600733932.1073741831.100000028926329&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626947723982853&set=a.626947617316197.1073741836.100000028926329&type=3&theater

Thanks!

Looks like you got assigned an E1 Category cabin.............If you don't want to deal with that medal structure you can call or have your travel agent call and move to another E1 Category cabin.

My suggestion would be deck 7 ...Cabin 7662 is available on the starboard non smoking side.. It also has a larger balcony than the normal Category E1 Balconies.

Also curious did you book under the Senior fare Balcony Guarantee or just under the Regular Balcony Guarantee fare?

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Let me first reiterate...there is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of any structure hiding your view. It is a gorgeous cabin. We loved it. Unable to upload the pics due to size. Have given links to it from my facebook Not sure how helpful it is but this is what we have :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626103754067250&set=a.626103600733932.1073741831.100000028926329&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626947723982853&set=a.626947617316197.1073741836.100000028926329&type=3&theater

Link doesnt work for me :(.

Looks like you got assigned an E1 Category cabin.............If you don't want to deal with that medal structure you can call or have your travel agent call and move to another E1 Category cabin.

My suggestion would be deck 7 ...Cabin 7662 is available on the starboard non smoking side.. It also has a larger balcony than the normal Category E1 Balconies.

Also curious did you book under the Senior fare Balcony Guarantee or just under the Regular Balcony Guarantee fare?

Regular guarantee, we booked direct with RCCL, my only concern is that the room is a bit far from the elevators...

What is the difference in price of a regular guarantee like you are paying now and a Category D1 category. Let me know andf I might have another suggestion for a cabin for you that you will really like?

What is the difference in price of a regular guarantee like you are paying now and a Category D1 category. Let me know andf I might have another suggestion for a cabin for you that you will really like?

Difference is a few thousand :( I got a pretty sweet deal