Best free public beach closest to the cruiseport?

michelle028

Which cruise ship dock? What ship are you sailing on?

In effect, all beaches on Cozumel are public. Hotel and property owners can ask you to leave, but you're not required to do so. However, there may be charge for using any facilities on the beach.

There is a "truly" public beach about a mile and a half south of the downtown pier, Punta Langosta. It's called Playa Casitas. It is the "local" beach on weekends for residents of San Miguel. It does have restrooms, showers, some shade and a small restaurant. On weekends local vendors sell food and drink too. It's typically coarser sand and not large. Bring your own towels, beach toys etc. From the two southern piers a taxi would run about $7 each way for up to 4 passengers.

That beach is followed by a series of smaller beaches, Playas Villa Blanca and Bella Vista, Sunset Beach (often used for ship beach excursions), and La Palapita, which is a very nice beach about a 15 minute walk from the southern two piers and a $3 cab ride from downtown. This is actually a very nice and overlooked beach for cruisers; look for Papa Hog's Dive Shop and it's just behind that.

Ever other really nice beach is further south.

You can get a preety good guide to all of Cozumel's beaches some with pictures on either or these two sites

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

Hi everyone,

What is the best beach for swimming closest to the cruiseport?

How much is the cab to get there? (family of 4)

Are there any restrooms/facilities there?

Pics would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I would spend the $2.00p/p and $15 cab ride to Paradise beach club. Big pool, clean facilities and a very nice beach.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

We're doing a deep sea fishing excursion in the AM but were looking for some beach time afterwards. We're docked at International Pier. Would Punta Langosta or La Palapita be close enough to our pier to walk back after some sun and swimming after fishing?

In effect, all beaches on Cozumel are public. Hotel and property owners can ask you to leave, but you're not required to do so. However, there may be charge for using any facilities on the beach.

There is a "truly" public beach about a mile and a half south of the downtown pier, Punta Langosta. It's called Playa Casitas. It is the "local" beach on weekends for residents of San Miguel. It does have restrooms, showers, some shade and a small restaurant. On weekends local vendors sell food and drink too. It's typically coarser sand and not large. Bring your own towels, beach toys etc. From the two southern piers a taxi would run about $7 each way for up to 4 passengers.

That beach is followed by a series of smaller beaches, Playas Villa Blanca and Bella Vista, Sunset Beach (often used for ship beach excursions), and La Palapita, which is a very nice beach about a 15 minute walk from the southern two piers and a $3 cab ride from downtown. This is actually a very nice and overlooked beach for cruisers; look for Papa Hog's Dive Shop and it's just behind that.

You can get a preety good guide to all of Cozumel's beaches some with pictures on either or these two sites

Thanks for the info! We are going on Carnival Legend in August. Not sure what pier it docks at.... so good to know there are close beaches! Which ones have you been to that you recommend?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the info! We are going on Carnival Legend in August. Not sure what pier it docks at.... so good to know there are close beaches! Which ones have you been to that you recommend?

Hello michelle,

I'm going on the Legend in August as well.

You can see what pier you will be docked at using this website below, just go to the bottom of the page and click on Cozumel Cruise Ship Schedule:

http://cruiseportinsider.com/cozumel.html

Enjoy!

La Palapita is a 15 minute walk to the International Pier.

Thank you. I am thinking we might try to get dropped off at La Palapita, spend an hour there, pick up some Xel Ha vanilla then trek back to the ship. The schedule says our fishing is over at 12:45PM and I we want to be back on board about 3:30PM so I think might just work out for us. Thanks again.

Would any of these beaches be good for snorkeling. I am in a party of 4 women. I was interested in going to CHankanaab, but one has bad knees and is concerned about the walking. I can't seem to find out how much walking to get to beach at Chankanaab. They just want to lay out, but a couple of us would snorkel if it is good. They are thinking Paradise Beach which I have heard is bad snorkelling. So if any of the beaches you mentioned here are nice with good snorkelling, have good food and not a lot of walking --OR-- if someone can tell me about the walking distance for Chankanaab I would be appreciative!

Would any of these beaches be good for snorkeling. I am in a party of 4 women. I was interested in going to CHankanaab, but one has bad knees and is concerned about the walking. I can't seem to find out how much walking to get to beach at Chankanaab. They just want to lay out, but a couple of us would snorkel if it is good. They are thinking Paradise Beach which I have heard is bad snorkelling. So if any of the beaches you mentioned here are nice with good snorkelling, have good food and not a lot of walking --OR-- if someone can tell me about the walking distance for Chankanaab I would be appreciative!

No beach with nice sand and much wave action will have good snorkeling - things get cloudy and there are no rocks, reefs, or coral for the fish to live and hide in.

You might look at the Money Bar - great snorkeling from shore (you enter the water via steps) and it's a short ($9-10) cab ride for the 4 of you. There is a sandy area for sunning and relaxing, but not a real beach; food and drinks are good and fairly priced. Bring your own gear, rent gear there, or even sign up for a guided snorkel tour. ;) http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Good luck! :)

No beach with nice sand and much wave action will have good snorkeling - things get cloudy and there are no rocks, reefs, or coral for the fish to live and hide in.

You might look at the Money Bar - great snorkeling from shore (you enter the water via steps) and it's a short ($9-10) cab ride for the 4 of you. There is a sandy area for sunning and relaxing, but not a real beach; food and drinks are good and fairly priced. Bring your own gear, rent gear there, or even sign up for a guided snorkel tour. ;) http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Good luck! :)

Agree will johnindc, Great shore snorkeling, good food and drinks, service right at your beach chair. Restrooms very clean with outside showers. Cabs waiting to take you back to the pier or shopping downtown.

Thanks to both replies...John and Runner. It looks like only 2 or 3 loungers at money bar with no shade. Any other areas that I am not seeing? Also any knowledge of walking distance to beach for taxi drop off at Chankanaab.

OK Its NOT a "public beach"....15 dollar cab ride 10 minutes from the RC dock..there early 9 ish..pay as you go side soda 2.50 umbrella 10...If you want water toys ...I think it was 12 each watched the kids of ALL ages on those things...we just wanted to veg....GREAT choice for us... we were toast by 2...back to the boat... cabs right outside the Mr Sanchos door 15 back to the dock.....

I can't remember the distance from the taxi drop-off to the beach at Chankanaab (although I do know that taxis drop off right outside the front gates) but I will say that it's probably the best place for someone with mobility difficulties just because so much of it is landscaped/paved/etc. I think Chankanaab is a lot easier to navigate than another beach.

We were there 3 weeks ago today on Conquest. Took a Taxi ($9) one way to Money Bar. Good snorkeling with easy entry. A few loungers, if you arrive early. Good food and drinks. No charge, they just want you to buy something. The Corona Bar is nice, a little farther($11). They are pretty much the same. Both Enjoyable. Cheap day at the Beach:)

Do they still have the iceburg water toy at Paradise Beach? I read somewhere they got rid of it. We were bummed and thinking we would do something else with no iceburg - it was a ton of fun. If it is still there we would love to know...

Archived