have you boarded with child with NCL permission form

elhenry

I know there have been three posts about this in three days, so I will continue the tradition with a more specific question.

I am traveling with my 11 y.o. niece on the Jewel on Saturday. Her parents (Sis and BIL) have filled out the NCL form granting her permission to travel with me and my parents, her grandparents. The form says *nothing* about notarizing. Sis and BIL have made copies of their drivers license, per the form's instructions. Sis and BIL will not be able to get this notarized tomorrow (Friday).

Experience with the new form, please. Have you been able to board with just the un-notarized form and the docs it requests? (nothing about best practice please, I'm paranoid enough).

Looking forward to a cruise, even starting in a 50 degree rain! TIA,

el henry

Last August we took our 12-y.o. grandson. Had the form and copies of both parents' DLs. No notarization though. Nobody asked for any of the docs. He is our son's son, so we have the same last name. Maybe that has a bearing on the relaxed attitude at check-in?

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

In Jan 2009, we traveled with our minor niece out of Miami. We did not have the form with us and thank goodness no one asked for it. It was our first cruise and we booked and left 3 weeks later with noone telling us we needed to do it. In April 2011, we traveled with an 18 yr old out of Port Canaveral (daughters boyfriend) who we didn't notice until the port that his birth certificate was wrong (his deceased mothers last name - same as his -was spelled wrong). Thank goodness no one at the port noticed that. This year (2 weeks ago) in Tampa we had my son's minor girlfriend with. We had the form (and notorized) with and it was the first thing they asked for. They didn't specifically ask if it was notorized, they just wanted some sort of form explaining we could make medical decisions for her.

Not sure this helps your question, but it goes to show that at 3 different ports we had 3 different things happen.

Last June on the Gem we took 3 of our son's friends with us, all under 18. Last year's version of the form required notarization but this year it looks like they just want copies of the licenses of the parents.

We were very proactive about the forms because we didn't want any hassle getting on the cruise (we had other issues -- one was a resident alien and one was a German exchange student who needed his re-entry visa renewed at the last minute).

Hope this helps.

Alan (and Leslie)

I am having a similar problem.

We booked through a travel agent & she sent a form to be completed & notorised, no copies of anything.

Last night, after reading a post on here, I downloaded the one from the NCL website which is completely different. No notary required but copies of driving licences or passports required.

I will take both forms (but only because I now have both completed) and report back as to which is used.

We sail SUNDAY!! YAY!! So, so, so excited!!

I'd also like to know if anyone has used the new form recently. I am traveling Monday with my daughter's friend. Her mom has the new form and I thought it needed to be notarized but it looks like it's just the copy of the driver's license. I just want to be sure before we leave the house.

I traveled with my GS on the Dawn this past October. We used the current form - only license copies required - does not need to be notarized.

If you read it - it's kind of a CYA thing - that someone is responsible for the childs actions and assume responsibility for expenses for medical treatment if needed.

I had it with me and presented it before I was even asked for it.

This form is only for NCL and would be of no use if you had problems off ship in port.

Yes, took a friend on Spirit, different last name, new form - asked for it, made a copy - no issues. We also took an insurance card in case of any medical needs. Never needed that either.

You will be fine. (we, too, had the first form already filled out and notarized before they came out with the new form so had that too but it was not asked for)

I just called my cruise consultant and yes the new form and drivers license copy is all that is needed. I also asked about the child I am taking since her father is deceased and her mom had to have proof of that for her passport. He said nothing was needed about that on this form, so it looks like we are good to go.

thanks everyone! We will use the NCL form without notarizing and report.

Although we may run out tomorrow and notarize another homemade form so it will give us permission for medical treatment if God forbid something happens in port. The car service we called for at 9 can take us over to the notary...

I so need this cruise! (who doesn't?)

el henry

Hmm... We have a very unique situation. Bear with me when I explain and then tell me what you think. We are traveling with our nephew this summer on Epic. He will be 13. His " acting" mother ( who has raised him from birth) is my sister. She is not his biological mother. Her husband is his biological father. His biological mother was a drug addict who signed over full custody ( waived parental rights) to his father at birth ( we have that documentation- I usually carry a copy of it). To complicate things further, my sister & his father are not legally married nor has my sister formally adopted him ( even longer story). So, can I complete the forms with his father notarizing them and providing a copy of his driver's license and then carry a copy of the full custody order? So, one parent signing and providing I'd only? Technically, this is his only parent.

We have travelled with him alone on Disney a number of times but it was never an issue because their form only required the notarized signature of one parent. We always brought but never needed the sole custody document. He will have a passport this trip ( traveled on Disney only with birth certificate)

Thoughts?

Yes, we'll definitely have a passport for him. He knows my sister isn't his bio mother but he doesn't know all the legal stuff and I worry that the cruise reps will ask him who his mother is and does he live with her, etc. Having to explain the whole mess ( especially in front of him) would not be good.

Maybe I'll call and try to get " approval" ( someone to say it will be okay) ahead of time so I at least have that to fall back on if there are any problems.

Yes, we'll definitely have a passport for him. He knows my sister isn't his bio mother but he doesn't know all the legal stuff and I worry that the cruise reps will ask him who his mother is and does he live with her, etc. Having to explain the whole mess ( especially in front of him) would not be good.

Maybe I'll call and try to get " approval" ( someone to say it will be okay) ahead of time so I at least have that to fall back on if there are any problems.

What someone tells you on the phone is of no value if they give you misinformation (and often they do). The customer service reps aren't trained to deal with complex issues like this...they often don't even give out correct information on simple matters such as whether you're allowed to bring soda on board.

Since the father has sole parental rights, and has the documentation to prove it, his signature is all that is required on the form. They can't require the signature of a (legally speaking) non-existent parent, any more than they could require the signature of a parent who is deceased.

• 5 weeks later...
I am having a similar problem.

We booked through a travel agent & she sent a form to be completed & notorised, no copies of anything.

Last night, after reading a post on here, I downloaded the one from the NCL website which is completely different. No notary required but copies of driving licences or passports required.

I will take both forms (but only because I now have both completed) and report back as to which is used.

We sail SUNDAY!! YAY!! So, so, so excited!!

I'm not sure if this is too late to be any help ........... we arrived at the port with both forms duly completed & copied (loadsa last minute running around) and was never asked for either of them!!!!

Archived