Instruments

joesteam

I am considering bringing my little Ukulele on a cruise next week. I am a new player and not very good, but love to play and don't want to not play for the those ten days. Does anyone have experience with practicing an instrument on a cruise and finding places to play that would not necessarily bother anyone? Or even finding other like minded players?

Your ukelele is a soft, non-offensive instrument. You could practice in your cabin or in an unused lounge during the day. Our daughter found pianos to use to practice in lounges. She played classical piano and most people passing through seemed to enjoy hearing her. She brought a violin once, however, and flying put it terribly out of tune. That may be a downside to bringing your instrument unless you aren't flying. Have a fun and musical cruise!

My DH would have a fit if you were practicing in the room next to ours. He would never want to cruise again. That would make me very sad. :(

It happened once already with a sax playing cabin neighbor. Security would not make it stop and told him to take it up with our room steward. DH did not want to put the steward in a position to lose any tips so he just complained through it to me. That made me very sad too. :(

My DH would have a fit if you were practicing in the room next to ours. He would never want to cruise again. That would make me very sad. :(

It happened once already with a sax playing cabin neighbor. Security would not make it stop and told him to take it up with our room steward. DH did not want to put the steward in a position to lose any tips so he just complained through it to me. That made me very sad too. :(

Well, a ukelele isn't quite as loud as a sax, nor is the sound it produces as irritating -- unless, of course, the player is REALLY bad!

Now I go cleanin' windows to earn an honest bob

For a nosy parker it's an interestin' job

What creature terrorizes there deep while playing the ukulele? .........Jaws Formby

Edited by Fixit2010
add joke

A couple of years ago we were on Summit out of San Juan during a slow period (Mid-December) when many large discounts were offered to locals to fill the ship. One group had a guitar, and they would sit at one end of the pool and play and sing (not in competition with the provided music). It was a joy to see this group having such a good time, and I really enjoyed hearing the music.

Not everyone did. At dinner and talking with our CC group, it was pretty much 50/50 for those who enjoyed it and those who thought it was terrible. I guess that is why they have chocolate and vanilla:).

I'm sure you will be able to find someplace to play.

Ken

Now that is too much. Why didn't you go to guest relations, did you ask your neighbor to stop? Maybe they didn't realize it was annoying.:eek:

Now that is too much. Why didn't you go to guest relations, did you ask your neighbor to stop? Maybe they didn't realize it was annoying.:eek:

Guest Relations and Security refused to deal with it. They said to ask our Room Steward to deal with it.

There is no way we would go to the neighbor as we would prefer to tough it out rather than start any retaliation games with neighbors that could make a bad situation worse.

Not trying to offend but we would fnd ANY musical instrument being played by a passenger on the ship in any public space annoying. If it happened more than once I would politely ask the person playing it to stop - if they refused I would go to guest relations.

Not trying to offend but we would fnd ANY musical instrument being played by a passenger on the ship in any public space annoying. If it happened more than once I would politely ask the person playing it to stop - if they refused I would go to guest relations.

Any public space? The ship is pretty big and if they kept themselves to a corner of it, ans assuming they could play pretty well, what harm are they doing? I can understand if noise pollutes cabins and quiet areas, but say they wanted to sit on the prom deck and play or sit on the grass and play, it could be pretty entertaining, especially as they play for the enjoyment and are not hired. Quite often the theater or celebrity central is unused.

Edited by Fixit2010

So, thanks for the replies. For those of you who say that this little instrument may not offend because of the small sound (compared to a sax or bagpipe), well, maybe you have not heard me play.

I can understand how on a ship with thousands of people, any instrument playing may offend a person or two (or ten or 100).

I live in a big city next to a lot of people (Brooklyn), not quite the population density on a cruise, but not the outback either. When I practice (badly) in my own house, I know my neighbors can hear me. So I keep it to reasonable hours at a reasonable volume (not hard with a Ukulele - the volume).

So, if I am on your cruise, and the sun is out, and I am playing not quite well on a quiet deck.... unless you are napping in the cabin above, you can just walk the other way, or sit down and sing (also badly?) along.

Why not just get off the ship in port, and play there? Then it doesn't offend any passengers in captivity. Put out a hat and maybe you'll get some local currency. You can't know if your neighbors will be gone unless you ask them first, of course. Some folks stay on the ship during port, so you can't assume anything regarding when would be best to play.

I'm a musician. Singer, piano, flute, various other instruments (majored in music ed so I had to be proficient at many) but I'd never consider bringing an instrument or even singing in my cabin. It's not just my vacation, it's others vacations too, and they didn't pay to come see me/hear me.

There's a shot that you could bring it and arrange a space not in use (conference room, theatre, etc) but why go through the hassle? 10 days isn't all that long. I put down the flute for like 10 years and picked it up and played it in my rock band without issue, so you'd be fine with 10 days, I promise :-)

Trust me, I understand the urge, it's within us, however we also need to realize that just because WE want it, doesn't mean we should subject others to it.

I will confess, however, that I auditioned for, and got a spot in the guest talent show (singing) so that was a fun outlet, but hey, people chose to come to the main stage to see that I didn't force them lol.

I think the bagpipes are a really depressing instrument, its a cross between a wailing and a squeaky door and sorry to say Scottish songs are about death and spirits.

AriaWoman, I would never have thought a flute as a rock instrument, what kind of rock music did you play? Was that fairly recently, are you still a "rock chic"?

We were on P and O ventura 3 years ago in the carribean and a guy played the bagpipes out on the top deck every time we left a port.

I enjoyed it but lots of passengers didnt.!!

I just wondered how he managed to fit it in his luggage as we had all flown from the UK to Barbados to join the ship with only 23 kilos allowance each.I used 20 kg just for shoes :)

janette

So, thanks for the replies. For those of you who say that this little instrument may not offend because of the small sound (compared to a sax or bagpipe), well, maybe you have not heard me play.

I can understand how on a ship with thousands of people, any instrument playing may offend a person or two (or ten or 100).

I live in a big city next to a lot of people (Brooklyn), not quite the population density on a cruise, but not the outback either. When I practice (badly) in my own house, I know my neighbors can hear me. So I keep it to reasonable hours at a reasonable volume (not hard with a Ukulele - the volume).

So, if I am on your cruise, and the sun is out, and I am playing not quite well on a quiet deck.... unless you are napping in the cabin above, you can just walk the other way, or sit down and sing (also badly?) along.

I choose to sing along (badly but happily).;)

Someone's music is always noise to another person.

Since you are inquiring and concerned there should not be any problem. Please don't do it on the balcony.

There was a youth that had to practice his horn on a balcony. I don't know if they were really practicing or just wanted to make noise.

I don't know if they had to do it as punishment, and don't know what the parents were thinking but it was terrible.

I'm a professional yodeler, my wife an award winning hog caller, and our 19 year old daughter is a champion duck caller. I am proud that so much talent runs in our family. We compete all over our town several times per year. We find that the sea air on a cruise helps our voices, so we take as many as we can afford. The best times for us to practice are either around midnight or at dawn. That is when our voices are at their fullest. So this is when we typically practice, usually for between two to three hours. It's important to us that we maintain ourselves at our best competitive fitness, so we practice every day.

If anyone is bothered by us, they need to keep in mind that we are professionals and require special consideration.

Thank you for understanding.

Edited by fortinweb