Cruised Carnival 10 times, thinking of trying NCL because of itinerary . . . . .

thymcruisers

We have cruised Carnival 10 times and have enjoyed every cruise! Because we like New Orleans and Galveston ports, we are thinking of trying the NCL Star out of New Orleans next March - only because of the different itinerary! We have never been to Belize, Costa Maya, or Honduras and the NCL Star offers these ports! So . . . . . NCL LOVERS, give us the GOOD and the BAD (if there is any?!?!?!) about leaving Carnival and comin' on over to NCL!! THANKS !!

I started out on Carnival in 2003 and then ventured around to check out other lines and ships. Very happy I did and haven't had a bad cruise yet. I'm on NCL Star at the end of April but the other ships I've sailed on NCL have been very nice too. Why not give it a try. Glad I did. Still like Carnival (and being platinum) but I do like variety. . .

Comparison: Carnival has better waterslides and larger cabins, NCL has a better bathroom layout with NO CURTAIN! Food similar, shows similar. NCL has more upcharge restaurants that are very good (I've tried 4 of them out). But if you don't want to, the MDR and buffets are good too and I prefer the NCL buffet over Carnival's. I like Carnival's outdoor movie screen and NCL does not have this feature. Still, though I like some things better on one than the other, I will continue to sail both.

Have fun!

We have done 8 Carnvial from 2003 - 2010, and liked the cruise. However, if you are going to upgrade to a suite, Carnival has none to offer, while NCL rules this category. Over the last 15 months we have cruised NCL 3 times and will continue to cruise with them. I think the food in the MDR is much better on Carnival, but the upcharge restaurants on NCL are well worth the extra few dollars and more then compensate for the MDR. The NCL ships also seem to be a little newer and cleaner. We have also cruised some of the higher end lines such as Celebrity and Disney, but still come back to NCL.

:)

We have cruised Carnival 10 times and have enjoyed every cruise! Because we like New Orleans and Galveston ports, we are thinking of trying the NCL Star out of New Orleans next March - only because of the different itinerary! We have never been to Belize, Costa Maya, or Honduras and the NCL Star offers these ports! So . . . . . NCL LOVERS, give us the GOOD and the BAD (if there is any?!?!?!) about leaving Carnival and comin' on over to NCL!! THANKS !!

NCL is excellent! I traveled Carnival and Royal Caribbean and now stuck with NCL. Has all you want. NCL has the best quality entertainment, service and food. Carol A.

We've now done 2 cruises on each Carnival and NCL and there are things we've loved on both. Ultimately, we've found that the itineraries and service have been fantastic on either so they've all be enjoyable vacations.

Rooms - Carnival wins in basic staterooms as NCL's tend to be on the small side, NCL wins for suites.

Bathroom - NCL hands down, roomier shower w/door instead of curtain,

Food - I think both lines offer good food. Carnival is ahead in the MDR,

NCL's buffet layouts tend to be better where I tended to find lines and bottlenecks in Carnival's. NCL offers more specialty restaurants, specialty restaurants on both ships were good.

Entertainment - Both were about the same to me. The shows were generally enjoyable depending on individual tastes, both have similar offerings between music revues, comedians, game shows, contests, bingo, karaoke, etc. NCL seems to have more live music around the ship. I like the outdoor movie screen on CCL but on the last cruise they didn't show much.

Kids - Both have great kids clubs. We've only had DS on Carnival, though he'll try NCL this year, but we've met cruisers who have used either one and their children loved them.

As you can see from my signature, I've been on 2 Carnival and 1 NCL in recent years. They are both very similar, but there are some minor differences.

Cabins-Carnival has bigger cabins , but NCL has a better bathroom. I hate the curtains on Carnival! Also, this may just be me, but I think NCL has better bedding and sheets.

Shows-nothing too different here. If you like Carnival shows, you'll like NCL shows.

Food-Since food is so subjective, I'll just give my personal opinions, but just keep in mind, opinions may differ greatly. I personally like food on NCL better. I find it to be a much higher quality than what I got on Carnival. Carnival has great food but NCL is just better. Also, NCL has for-fee restaurants. The food in these restaurants are AMAZING! If your budget allows you to splurge a little on food, GO FOR IT!. Also, I think the buffets on NCL are better. However, NCL doesn't have Warm Chocolate Melting Cake :rolleyes:

Ships as a whole-NCL has a newer fleet, and I found the decor to be suiting to my tastes:more colorful and modern. Again, this is very subjective, so I can only speak for myself.

Kids clubs-I did Circle "C" on Carnival and the teen club on NCL (and the younger kids club a long time ago). They were pretty similar, but I think CCL had more varried activities. However, I had a better time in the NCL teen club. Either way, your kids are bound to have a blast!

If you have any other questions, fell free to let me know :D

We have been on Carnival twice and NCL once. We found there were more adult things to do on NCL. It seemed to be more of an adult crowd. We went to Alaska on NCL so that may be the reason for more adults. We have another NCL cruise booked for June. I don't think we will try Carnival again...just not a good fit for us as we are in our 50's and we prefer the more adult crowd.

Jazzz :)

We took the Carnival Legend out of Tampa to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and a few others. Costa Maya seemed like it was simply a pool to drink at on the shore and little else so is now on our list of "avoid" ports for the future. Belize on the other hand was a LOT of fun. We did the zip line through the treetops there and had a good time but it was a 2 hour ride to get there and back

We are platinum with Carnival but since first traveling with NCL 3 years ago have not been back to Carnival. We had no complaints about Carnival but just enjoy NCL more. The suite perks with NCL have kept us coming back. Like someone earlier stated, the food in the MDR may be a little better on Carnival.

OP -- I read the responses to your post on the Carnival board, and some of them are tossing some pretty heavy grenades at NCL. Interesting how loyalty can affect some people's thought patterns.

Anyway, I doubt that you will find much difference in the cruise lines. There may be some differences in the ships depending on what class of ship you choose, but that holds true on all cruises (even within the same cruise line).

Make your choice and I hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do. The ship or the cruise line really makes very little difference. It is the attitude you take with you that makes the cruise what it is. Enjoy !!!

We are also Plat. on Carnvial and are trying the Suite Life on NCL next Feb. I can't wait for one of the reasons you stated. We like sailing out of New Orleans since we can drive there and don't have to fly. I'm looking forward to new ports on the Star.

The last cruise on Carnival was a little disappointing. I've noticed alot of cutbacks and just felt it was time to try something new. I feel we don't know what we are missing until we try something new. Isn't variety the spice of life? HA

The SJ family suites on NCL aren't much more than their balcony's and the extra perks are looking very good.

I just wanted to point out the biggest difference between the two lines and that this is often the point of disagreement between those who love NCL and those who loathe it. Dining style on NCL is very different, whereas Carnival primarily does traditional dining.

While Carnival has started doing "anytime" dining in the MDR, it seemed for all practical purposes to still be pretty traditional - longer meals, entertainment during meals, possibly tablemates (we had a table to ourselves last year on CCL which we were happy about though), same table, same staff all week for your table who you may get to know, and it feels more formal.

NCL has a more casual dining atmosphere overall, slightly more casual dress code, and an array of dining choices w/o any set dining times. You can have a traditional experience but you have to make arrangements for it by asking for the same server, and possibly making reservations. Most people who love NCL like that you can go with the flow, dine when you feel like it and with whomever you want - you can choose to table share or ask to sit alone. You have a wide variety of restaurant choices, some included, some for fee. You can make reservations if you want, you can just walk up and ask for a table - there may be a wait at popular dining times. No song and dance at dinner.

I've never had issues w/ service in either setting, I've always thought the food was overall good. I think the food on our first cruise on either line was better than our more recent experiences but I think that's the effect of cutbacks across the industry. For us, we like the flexibility to dine at other times, and we tend to want quicker meals. DH has no interest in seeing the wait staff sing and dance during dinner, we're not really into long meals, esp not w/ a toddler, and last yr on Carnival really nailed that home for us. There was nothing wrong with it, just wasn't our style. My in-laws are seasoned cruisers and love traditional dining. They sailed NCL once and had a perfectly good cruise they said, but the dining was not their style. They missed having table mates, they didn't like having to pick a place to go, and then possibly wait for a table. They love go in at 6pm, sit at "your" table and your drink is already waiting for you. They felt that if they wanted to pick where to eat each night, they'd do a vacation on land.

So as to whether you'll love NCL as much as you've loved Carnival, keep in mind what's your preference in dining. If you love traditional dining, it can still happen on NCL, it just isn't automatic, and still might not be the same experience you're accustomed to on Carnival. If you want more options and flexibility, you'll love NCL.

I have cruised Carnival twice and enjoyed both cruises, as well as the food...nothing like the chocolate melting cake..

The rooms on Carnival are much larger...

We prefer NCL due to the casual nature of the dress, speciality restuarants, we eat at them at least twice during a cruise...freestyle is for me, eating when and where I like.. we cruised the Star last week for the weekend...the dislike I had was how much space the water slides took up...there are however several quite areas with alot of seating to just enjoy the sun...

If the price and intinerary were right I would probably cruise Carnival again and of course if my friends were also going....but for now NCL is my cruiseline of choice...it has everything I require for an enjoyable time...

If you go...Have a great cruise....

We took the Carnival Legend out of Tampa to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and a few others. Costa Maya seemed like it was simply a pool to drink at on the shore and little else so is now on our list of "avoid" ports for the future. Belize on the other hand was a LOT of fun. We did the zip line through the treetops there and had a good time but it was a 2 hour ride to get there and back

How long ago were you in Costa Maya, it has been built up alot..there are numerous beach breaks, as well as a place called Maya Chan, which we went to and really enjoyed....there are many snorkeling trips...Costa Maya is my favorite port on the Western Carribbean cruises...I know certain ports are not for everyone but maybe you should try it again....

I, too, am Carnival platinum. We've decided to book the NCL Dawn over the Carnival Legend for next March. I've been on one NCL, the Pride of America out of Honolulu, which I hear is really nothing like a foreign-flagged ship.

I chose the Dawn because of itinerary. I WANT to go go Costa Maya over Grand Cayman and have another hour in Roatan. The NCL cruise was $100 cheaper, plus I got $100 OBC.

My DH and I love Mayan ruins. There are some offered by NCL that Carnival doesn't go to.

I can't tell you if you'll like NCL...none of us can.

I can tell you that I was a huge Carnival fan and now not so much. I like NCL far better.

Reasons:

#1 reason is the crew on NCL...for us, they have been the best above CCL, RCI and Celebrity. From the hotel director all the way down, the crew are AMAZING and our #1 reason for falling in love with this line.

#2 OPTIONS!!!! We love the optional dinign venues, especially on long cruises. variety is good and even with the surcharge for some of these venues, it is SO worth it.

#3 Entertainment: NCL is better hands down...more to do and enjoy, even on extended cruises. I have had a couple 14+ day cruises on NCL and have never been bored for a second!

#4 Live music: There is a lot more of it. CCL has cut back

#5 Deck parties :D

#6 BBQ on lido on sea days

#7 attention to detail and immediate resolution of issues.

I could go on.....but these are the important items. :)

How long ago were you in Costa Maya, it has been built up alot..there are numerous beach breaks, as well as a place called Maya Chan, which we went to and really enjoyed....there are many snorkeling trips...Costa Maya is my favorite port on the Western Carribbean cruises...I know certain ports are not for everyone but maybe you should try it again....

It was about 6 years ago. One thing I REALLY like but it seems my wife and kids could care less are the Mayan Ruins. If there is a tour of them from that port, then it was something we did not research but will do so if it comes up as a destination once again.

We sail both and enjoy both. We like the freestyle dining, so we always do anytime on Carnival now. NCL's ships are a little more tastefuly decorated and have a more relaxed feeling. We find the food in the main dining rooms very comparable, but NCL's buffet's are better. Carnival's cabins are larger, but NCL's have better storage and bathrooms.

For us it comes down to price and itinerary. If you want a different itinerary, go for it. Any cruise is better than a week at work!

Ships that don't have interiors designed by Joe Farcus have kept me from ever trying a Carnival ship since the early 90's! Sorry, you asked.... Not a fan of NCL's freestyle concept since the switch to it after a hostile takeover by Star Cruises about 12 year ago though, but ship interiors of NCL are very tasteful compared to Carnival. I will take a subpar MDR experience with NCL in regards to service and food over the bold interiors of a Carnival ship. Your priorities might be different. Many prefer Carnival's neon over subdued interiors. It is all about your priorities.

It was about 6 years ago. One thing I REALLY like but it seems my wife and kids could care less are the Mayan Ruins. If there is a tour of them from that port, then it was something we did not research but will do so if it comes up as a destination once again.

I would try it one more time...I don;t remember when they were wiped out by a hurricane, but they have built it up quite nicely since then....I love their beaches, with the restuarants attached, I have been there about 5 times and never once did I do the Mayan Ruins, I have no interest in them....

Costa Maya seemed like it was simply a pool to drink at on the shore and little else so is now on our list of "avoid" ports for the future.

We've been to Costa Maya twice, and had a VERY enjoyable stay both times. The first time we were there, we took an excursion to the nearby Mayan ruins of Chachobben (great introduction to the Mayan culture, specially for those who've never seen Mayan ruins before). The second time, we took a cab to the wonderful village of Mahahual were we had one of the most relaxing, quiet, and enjoyable days ever experienced on any cruise.

From what you wrote, it seems like you never made it beyond the Welcome Center, and I do agree that it's an (overcrowded) pool with a bunch of places to drink and shop. Ironically I thought that the Welcome Center was much more "welcoming" when it was first built than recently. It seems like they've kept jamming more and more junky stores making it feel like a flea market.

If you ever go back to Costa Maya, explore beyond the Welcome Center. It's truly a great Caribbean destination. It's not fair to judge it based only on what's available a few feet from the ship. It would be like judging an entire city or country without even leaving the airport.

Just back from the same itinerary on the Star. We very much enjoyed our cruise, the ship was lovely, and the food was good. As the price we paid was much lower than any other for the same dates we decided to use the savings in the pay restaurants. All our meals were great and I would go back on the Star in a heartbeat.

Someone else mentioned the quality of the sheets and I noticed this too, even better than the Marriott or a Hilton.

The best part of the Star for me though was that the crew seems to love their jobs. There is a sincerity and level of happiness in the staff that I have not seen on any other ships. I think this all comes from the Captain and the way he manages his staff.

If you have the chance, they offer a behind the scenes tour on the last sea day. It costs $55 but is about 2.5 hours long and takes you to the laundry, the bridge, the kitchens, behind the stage and more. I didn't do it but my DH is still talking about it.

Archived