Thinking of leaving Carnival and trying NCL!?!?!?

thymcruisers

I personally think that if anyone limits their choices based on cruiseline, they are missing out. I also wouldn't depend on anyones opinion of food, entertainment, or service as these are all very subjective based on that persons experience and their own likes or dislikes. The best way, IMHO, to find out if you like it is to try it. Base your decision on the ship that best fits your needs for that vacation. If it is NCL, go with an open mind and plan on enjoying yourself. Then you can form your own opinion on what you think of that ship. Have FUN most of all.

FWIW...I have sailed on DCL 2x, NCL 2x and Carnival 5x. I would sail on any of them ,or any other cruiseline for that matter, if they met what I wanted out of that vacation.

We are thinking of trying NCL as well. We loved the Legend last January and really want to return to Belize and Roatan. The NCL Dawn does the same trip as the legend almost and the price is about the same. I am not sure I could afford any other lines, but a deal with NCL or the Legend might work.

The extra pay-restaurants we don't do, so that is not a bonus with NCL with us. Smaller room is fine as well, we always book inside and 3 of us have plenty of room on the Legend, a little less won't bother us. Somoone said buffet was better on NCL, well, we liked the buffet on the Legend and disliked the MDR. so....we should be fine.

We will book for Jan. 2014, so we will watch the two and make a mind up soon, a 2013 cruise won't happen financially. If we go NCL, I would love to review as a comparison to the Legend.

Nope. A decision I have not regretted once. I don't miss them, and I'm sure they don't miss me. There's nothing they have that even makes me consider them, nor alters my opinion of them .

So if you got a call from NCL tomorrow offering you a free cruise in one of their Haven Owner Suites aboard the Epic, would you honestly decline based on your one cruise 23 years ago?

My first cruise was on NCL and my second was on Carnival. I loved both ships but I thought the food on NCL was horrible. Not one thing taste even close to good. :mad: Desserts were bad too. I'm truly shocked that people mentioned the food was good. I was on the NCL

Spirit. Maybe other NCL boats have better cooks.

I loved everything else about NCL and would cruise with them again because of the 4 ports. That was the exact reason we chose them in the first place.:)

We sailed on the Jewel from NY to Quebec and back. The ship was lovely but service was a problem as there had been a Noro virus outbreak on the previous cruise and some crew member weren't handling it very well.

A few years later we were involved in planning a family (9) cruise to Alaska. We suggested NOT taking NCL especially since some family members had seen Alaska on a HAL ship and we didn't think that it would compare very well.

Because of work, etc. the only date(1st week in May which is a great time because the ports are not crowded ) available had only 1 ship sailing, the Pearl, which is the sister ship of the Jewel. The trip was PERFECT in everyway including glorious weather. The captain was very visible and I think that this has a lot to do with the quality of the crew. Many of the crew members that we met had been selected to be on the inaugural cruise of the Epic in a training capacity. Most did not want to leave the Pearl. The HAL cruisers were blown away by the Pearl.

The message of my story: Cruises are a lot like a box of chocolates, etc.

PS-We are now addicted Europeon river cruises.

Sure, why not.

I especially like the SOLO cabins of the Epic. Has me a bit interested. I'm not so sure the SOLO cruisers occupying these cabins with their own meeting place where they can play that "check-everyone's-mattress-game" would appreciate a 73-year-old shuffling around, however. :D

I'm quite happy with Carnival for now.:)

Of course give it a try. Don't let someone's 20-year old experience deter you. I am also Carnival platinum and was loyal for years. Only began to branch out to other lines in the last couple of years and loved the variety. After experienced other lines I see myself cruise Carnival much less and move towards Norwegian and Royal more.

Norwegian is not that different from Carnival but their ships are generally new and well designed. Epic is an oddity and should especially be loads of fun.

we cruised NCL once because of price, dates and convenience...that being said..our next cruise was not booked on NCL and we paid more for it..even though NCL had almost the exact same itin.:mad:

so if you do NCL...be prepared for smaller cabins than CCL and for better food in the buffet and worse food in the MDR...however, I feel the entertainment was good on NCL..as it is on CCL

on NCL you will need to spend money on the speciality restaurants to fully enjoy the meals.....and after one dinner in the MDR you will realize that the cost of the speciality restaurants is a non issue and will gladly pay for it.

of course many will now dispute what I just posted about the MDR......however, I am right in my assesment that the MDR food is terrible on NCL.

So if you got a call from NCL tomorrow offering you a free cruise in one of their Haven Owner Suites aboard the Epic, would you honestly decline based on your one cruise 23 years ago?

Nope. I'd even accept free from the Peaceboat.

Would be interesting sailing in a "class" environment, enjoying the pool and amenities among others that also sailed in suites. I would probably never even venture out among the common areas.

Of course give it a try. Don't let someone's 20-year old experience deter you. I am also Carnival platinum and was loyal for years. Only began to branch out to other lines in the last couple of years and loved the variety. After experienced other lines I see myself cruise Carnival much less and move towards Norwegian and Royal more.

Norwegian is not that different from Carnival but their ships are generally new and well designed. Epic is an oddity and should especially be loads of fun.

Now, there's my "real life" conundrum.

People that know me and my cruising history always "inform" me of their cruising plans. I politely listen, offer advice if asked, but don't critique their choices, as their likes and experiences will be different than mine, as well as the person next to them.

Yet those returning from an NCL cruise always seem to attack me, because I didn't "warn" them. More pleasant nodding. Most complaints are about Freestyle, and I've never even experienced it.

And one came back complaining about Carnival. Hated the food; hated the ship; hated the ports.

So I said, "Sorry Mom."

The next cruise she booked was on the Norweigian Sea........

we cruised NCL once because of price, dates and convenience...that being said..our next cruise was not booked on NCL and we paid more for it..even though NCL had almost the exact same itin.:mad:

so if you do NCL...be prepared for smaller cabins than CCL and for better food in the buffet and worse food in the MDR...however, I feel the entertainment was good on NCL..as it is on CCL

on NCL you will need to spend money on the speciality restaurants to fully enjoy the meals.....and after one dinner in the MDR you will realize that the cost of the speciality restaurants is a non issue and will gladly pay for it.

of course many will now dispute what I just posted about the MDR......however, I am right in my assesment that the MDR food is terrible on NCL.

In your opinion the food was bad. I have been on two NCL ships and the food in the MDR's was great. The most expensive specialty restaurant on NCL is cheaper than's CCL's steakhouses and you get great meals. On most cruises the specialty restaurant's have 20% off for at least the first night and often times the first two. I can't compare because I haven't been on my CCL cruise yet but in my opinion the MDR food on NCL is very good.

After cruising on both lines I think the cabins on CCL are roomier and nicer looking than NCL. I like buffets on both at lunch time, but think CCL wins hands down in MDR at dinner. Shows were similar but did see the most amazing magic act on NCL Dawn years ago that I still remember and saw ice skating show on Dawn. I think it's all a matter of what's important to you on your cruise. Because of health issues I spend more time on my balcony and in my cabin then some cruisers and so cabin is on top of my list of importance. My DD likes to eat and thought CCL was a winner - that was a major issue with her. If price was right I would sail on NCL again but would have to be a real bargin price.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

As you will see from my signature, we don't have any loyalty to any cruise line. These days, main-stream cruiselines are more alike than different. Food is subjective and it's always hit-and-miss on any ship. We tend to stay with ships we like no matter what the cruise line. The one thing that NCL does do better than anyone else, is the suite life! When we do sail NCL, we stay in suites so that we can make reservations for everything, including when we want to go to the main dining room so that we don't have to stand in line. Depending on what type of ship you prefer on Carnival, try and find one that is comparable on NCL. For example, we prefer the spirit class ships on Carnival and have found that the Jewel/Pearl etc. flow as nicely.

In your opinion the food was bad. I have been on two NCL ships and the food in the MDR's was great. The most expensive specialty restaurant on NCL is cheaper than's CCL's steakhouses and you get great meals. On most cruises the specialty restaurant's have 20% off for at least the first night and often times the first two. I can't compare because I haven't been on my CCL cruise yet but in my opinion the MDR food on NCL is very good.

it appears to me that many posters here agree the NCL MDR is not so great...and since you have not yet been on your CCL cruise yet, how can you even compare? You are posting about specialty restauarant prices on CCL and saying that NCL's are cheaper..ok..but you haven't even sailed both lines yet?

What you fail to understand is that...on CCL..it doesn't matter what the prices are...because you don't HAVE to use them as the CCL MDR is spectacular...

ON NCL...one MUST use the specialty restaurants.....because the NCL MDR is not very good.

My first cruise was on NCL and my second was on Carnival. I loved both ships but I thought the food on NCL was horrible. Not one thing taste even close to good. :mad: Desserts were bad too. I'm truly shocked that people mentioned the food was good. I was on the NCL

Spirit. Maybe other NCL boats have better cooks.

I loved everything else about NCL and would cruise with them again because of the 4 ports. That was the exact reason we chose them in the first place.:)

I didn't fall head over heels with NCL on my first NCL cruise (2007). It was Ok, but I still preferd CCl at that point.

THEN what happened was, we noticed that on each subsequent NCL cruise, service/food and everything else was getting better and better, while on CCL, the exact opposite was happening.

This is how I went from being a CCL fan to an NCL fan.

Change happens and this is how both lines changed in our opinion, one for the better and the other, not so much.

What you fail to understand is that...on CCL..it doesn't matter what the prices are...because you don't HAVE to use them as the CCL MDR is spectacular...

There was a time I would have agreed 100% with that.

Now??? NO way. CCl food was far superior, now it is basically the same as NCL's mdr food.

CCl offers one surcharge option (and not on all of it's ships) so I find this limiting. I do prefer better food so I don't mind shelling out a little extra, especially considering the cruise rates are so low.

We just went to the Keys for a wedding. Our GROUP rate for the hotel room was $375 a night.

Cruising is a bargain and a half...paying for the better food is worth it to us. I will be going to the steak house at least twice on my next carnival cruise...probably more, and while in port, we will eat on the islands.

ON NCL...one MUST use the specialty restaurants.....because the NCL MDR is not very good.

I don't agree as I have yet to set foot in a specialty restaurant on NCL and found the MDR food to very good. (I expect to find the same thing on CCL.)

Platinum on Carnival because the prices are better. Been on NCL and liked then as well. Biggest difference is the room size. Standard cabins are much smaller on NCL and they employ a lot of folks from the Phillippines. They are super nice. I'd say go ahead, you'll enjoy the experience.

it appears to me that many posters here agree the NCL MDR is not so great...and since you have not yet been on your CCL cruise yet, how can you even compare? You are posting about specialty restauarant prices on CCL and saying that NCL's are cheaper..ok..but you haven't even sailed both lines yet?

Sorry but I said I couldn't compare yet, re-read my post. What I was stating when I quoted the other poster that the apparent fact that the food in the NCL MDR's was terrible was in fact just his opinion. There are also lots of posters that state the NCL MDR food is great and in my opinion it is. The price I saw for the steakhouse on CCL was $30pp. It is a fact that this is more than any of the specialty restaurants on the NCL ships. One doesn't have to use the specialty restaurants on NCL but they can if they choose to.

The OP's is asking if they should choose NCL for a cruise. I didn't say CCL wasn't a good choice.

I have only sailed NCL once and that was on the Star and to Alaska. I thought the ship was small and a little out of date and I did not like the anytime dining....I would have preferred to have set dining. Since it was to Alaska the over all activities on board were very limited because of the cold or rainy weather.....I would much rather cruise with Carnival which I have 8 cruises with and working on platinum....

Kathy

These days, main-stream cruiselines are more alike than different.

I actually feel that these days mainstream cruise lines are becoming more different than alike. Just look at their newbuilds. Take Carnival and Royal Caribbean as an example. About the only thing that Carnival's Dream class and Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships have in common is that they float! :o

I didn't fall head over heels with NCL on my first NCL cruise (2007). It was Ok, but I still preferd CCl at that point.

THEN what happened was, we noticed that on each subsequent NCL cruise, service/food and everything else was getting better and better, while on CCL, the exact opposite was happening.

This is how I went from being a CCL fan to an NCL fan.

Change happens and this is how both lines changed in our opinion, one for the better and the other, not so much.

There was a time I would have agreed 100% with that.

Now??? NO way. CCl food was far superior, now it is basically the same as NCL's mdr food.

CCl offers one surcharge option (and not on all of it's ships) so I find this limiting. I do prefer better food so I don't mind shelling out a little extra, especially considering the cruise rates are so low.

We just went to the Keys for a wedding. Our GROUP rate for the hotel room was $375 a night.

Cruising is a bargain and a half...paying for the better food is worth it to us. I will be going to the steak house at least twice on my next carnival cruise...probably more, and while in port, we will eat on the islands.

I'm sorry to hear that CCL has lowered their food standards to match that of NCL and that is a real shame.

Sorry but I said I couldn't compare yet, re-read my post. What I was stating when I quoted the other poster that the apparent fact that the food in the NCL MDR's was terrible was in fact just his opinion. There are also lots of posters that state the NCL MDR food is great and in my opinion it is. The price I saw for the steakhouse on CCL was $30pp. It is a fact that this is more than any of the specialty restaurants on the NCL ships. One doesn't have to use the specialty restaurants on NCL but they can if they choose to.

The OP's is asking if they should choose NCL for a cruise. I didn't say CCL wasn't a good choice.

however...CCL only offers one steakhouse I believe on most if not all their ships and yes, $30 is expensive...but I will stand by my opinion that on CCL..one must not use the steakhouse if they don't want to as the MDR is good...although some posters are now saying that the CCL MDR has fallen from grace..what a shame if that is true...

ON my one and only NCL cruise...my family and I, who try to never pay for speciality restaurants on board....were more than happy to shell out the extra..quite reasonable bucks for the NCL speciality MDR's.

Once I even got up in the middle of a meal and went to the reservation desk to make a reservation for the next night...as we were done with the MDR slop. The family was thrilled that I made the reservation.

and the specialty restaurants on NCL are reasonable and a more than fabulous meal can be had for $20 per person or less...and they have kids nights and half price deals all the time...

did I want to spend the extra? no I did not Did we want to eat tasty well cooked food? Yes we did and had to pay extra for it...

FWIW...cruise food is on the chopping block...probably due to all the waste and gluttony onboard...but for me and mine...we don't pig out all day..take reasonable amounts of food..and look forward to experiencing a good evening meal when cruising....the food is not the end all and be all for us....but the MDR on NCL is just not worth our time...

we cruise often and should we even decide to cruise NCL again...a budget for the speciality rooms will certainly be in place...and if we did cruise them again it would only be for convenience and price...

as a matter of fact on our next cruise, I had a choice of same itin on an old NCL ship or another new ship on another line line....DH had no problem going with the newer ship...and paying a bit more for it....

Archived