So I went to the library & took out some books on Alaska...

pampaul

Since I'm out of work with an injury right now, buying a few books right now is just not in the cards.

So I went to the local library and took out 3 books on Alaska. Here's what I have...

2002 Alaska Ports of Call

2000 Fodor's Alaska

Alaska's Southeast "Touring the Inside Passage"

Here's my question. How "up to date" will these books really be? I mean does info really change from year to year with these books?

Can't wait to get started!!!

Obviously prices will have changed.

Names of tour vendors, phone numbers, emails etc likely will not be up-to-date. A difference is some cruise lines who go to Alaska and names of ships.

But all in all, you will get the basics.

However, I believe the best info you can get is here on Cruise Critic. You can go back to older posts and reviews for some additional great information.

Read BudgetQueen!

Sorry about your injury!

Obviously prices will have changed.

Names of tour vendors, phone numbers, emails etc likely will not be up-to-date. A difference is some cruise lines who go to Alaska and names of ships.

But all in all, you will get the basics.

However, I believe the best info you can get is here on Cruise Critic. You can go back to older posts and reviews for some additional great information.

Read BudgetQueen!

Sorry about your injury!

What or who is budget queen? And thanks for the other info that you gave.

These are a great start, reading them will offer tour options, maps, and give you a background on the very different areas. See if your library has an interlibrary loan program. You may be able to request other Alaska books.

BudgetQueen posts on Cruise Critic and has fantastic, accurate information. (I should have said that in my earlier post, sorry).

I know Alaska very well, but when it comes to tourist related things, I often print out her posts. I have family who still live in Alaska and they read her.

If you can get around well enough to check out used book stores, I ideal reference is a MILEPOST of about any year as it will have the basics and excellent maps.

You can even buy the used ones on Amazon for decent prices.

A 10 yr old book is pretty dated for vendor information, but it will give you an idea of the sights and activities available at each port. Whether it's 2002 or 2012, Mendenhall Glacier is still a big attraction in Juneau! and Glacier Bay is a spectacular sight regardless of the year. But new attractions such as the new Discovery Center in Ketchikan won't be listed.

Use the internet as a resource. Most towns have a web site to support local tourism. Google each port followed by 'visitor information' or 'chamber of commerce'. You'll find activities, excursions and suggestions for low cost DIY. Many towns will send a free visitor guide, as will the State of Alaska Tourism. ie http://www.seward.com/

How about a used book from Amazon ..... a 2011 edition of 'Frommers Alaska cruises and ports of Call' is less than $5. On the amazon site I typed 'alaska by cruiseship' and found a number of different books for as little as $1.

Sorry about your injury .... but planning the trip will certainly keep your spirits up. :)

Since I'm out of work with an injury right now, buying a few books right now is just not in the cards.

So I went to the local library and took out 3 books on Alaska. Here's what I have...

2002 Alaska Ports of Call

2000 Fodor's Alaska

Alaska's Southeast "Touring the Inside Passage"

Here's my question. How "up to date" will these books really be? I mean does info really change from year to year with these books?

Can't wait to get started!!!

The prices are probably out of date, but Mendenhall Glacier is still near Juneau as an example...

These are a great start, reading them will offer tour options, maps, and give you a background on the very different areas. See if your library has an interlibrary loan program. You may be able to request other Alaska books.

I think our library does have an interliberary loan program. I'll have to check into it more.

BudgetQueen posts on Cruise Critic and has fantastic, accurate information. (I should have said that in my earlier post, sorry).

I know Alaska very well, but when it comes to tourist related things, I often print out her posts. I have family who still live in Alaska and they read her.

If you can get around well enough to check out used book stores, I ideal reference is a MILEPOST of about any year as it will have the basics and excellent maps.

You can even buy the used ones on Amazon for decent prices.

I'll have to check out Amazon even more.

A 10 yr old book is pretty dated for vendor information, but it will give you an idea of the sights and activities available at each port. Whether it's 2002 or 2012, Mendenhall Glacier is still a big attraction in Juneau! and Glacier Bay is a spectacular sight regardless of the year. But new attractions such as the new Discovery Center in Ketchikan won't be listed.

Use the internet as a resource. Most towns have a web site to support local tourism. Google each port followed by 'visitor information' or 'chamber of commerce'. You'll find activities, excursions and suggestions for low cost DIY. Many towns will send a free visitor guide, as will the State of Alaska Tourism. ie http://www.seward.com/

How about a used book from Amazon ..... a 2011 edition of 'Frommers Alaska cruises and ports of Call' is less than $5. On the amazon site I typed 'alaska by cruiseship' and found a number of different books for as little as $1.

Sorry about your injury .... but planning the trip will certainly keep your spirits up. :)

Yeah, I figured as much that the attractions would still be relatively the same. As I'm sure the prices are much different now. But atleast it'll give me a good head start into my research.

I bought the Alaska Cruise Handbook

A mile by Mile guide.

byJoe Upton

you should be able to get this cheap on Amazon (used) its a must book to bring with you. It also has a great map

I just bought Alaska By Crusie ship also has a map by Annie Vipond

Hope you are getting better

Mary

Archived