Alliegant Air now charging for Carry Ons!

janabm81

Just a little note to let every one know that as of April 4th, 2012 Alliegant Air will charge $35 for carry on bags.

Blah!!!:mad:

Ugh! Thanks so much for passing along the info. My impression is that this is for those who book with them beginning this Wednesday, but not for those who have already booked? If so, book now! If not, I need to rethink what I'll be taking on my trip in May...

Do you happen to know if they charge for checking car seats? We're trying to figure out whether to bring ours or not.

Another case of "DO YOUR MATH, PEOPLE!" When you are considering airfare, look at EVERYTHING, not just the base fare. Airlines like Spirit (and now Allegiant) will charge you for checked bags and many carry-on bags. Can they still be cheaper? Absolutely...but if Spirit or Allegiant has a base fare of $300, and other traditional carriers have a base fare of $350, that doesn't mean Allegiant or Spirit are cheaper.

Math is fun :)

And remember....it's YOUR demands for the lowest possible ticket price that has driven so much offloading to fees. American public....you wanted cheap. You are getting cheap.

Try this for an amusing break, courtesy of Fascinating Aida:

The whole thing really chaps my you know what! Charging for checked bags is annoying but I understand how someone is handling my bag and is "supposed" to get it to my destination...but Carry On bags?!?! What's the point? How do/can they justify it?:mad:

And remember....it's YOUR demands for the lowest possible ticket price that has driven so much offloading to fees. American public....you wanted cheap. You are getting cheap.

I couldn’t agree more. I am amused at the quest some people will go through to find the “cheapest” seat, if you want a cheap seat take a bus. Flying used to be a relaxing way to get from A to B. Now if I fly coach I’m just another sardine and at 6’3” 31 inches of seat pitch just doesn’t cut it. Give me a little service and more pitch and I’ll be glad to pay extra. I swear there would be people that would sit on the floor (transatlantic) if the airlines would give them a discount and then afterwards they would complain.

How do/can they justify it?:mad:

They don't have to justify anything, they can do anything they want. The problem is that the government is looking into these fees and if the feds get involved it will probably cost us more in the long run.

The whole thing really chaps my you know what! Charging for checked bags is annoying but I understand how someone is handling my bag and is "supposed" to get it to my destination...but Carry On bags?!?! What's the point? How do/can they justify it?:mad:

Frankly, I sometimes wish my preferred airline (DL) would do this. I'm sick and tired of watching people lugging oversized bags onboard. They stuff them so full they don't fit in the overhead, then they stand in the aisle blocking traffic while they try to take stuff out to make it fit. Never mind the fact that they can barely lift the thing over their head to put it in the bin or take it out, and end up bruising other pax in the process when the unwieldy bag slips from their grasp and hits someone's head or shoulder. All so they don't have to pay to check a bag.

Very astute observation there FlyerTalker.

I like it when an airline by their actions helps me decide to never use them. :)

The reality is that several major airlines are also considering this in their business model. They may or may not ever activate it, but they're considering it, I assure you.

That's more than for a checked bag :eek:!

I think that's the point -- they are trying to get people to check their bags. All these oversized bags in the overhead is a pain in the @$$ for everyone and is another reason the security lines are so long.

Check your bag and there won't be a problem ..

I don't mind paying $25 a bag for me not having to schlep it all over the airport and stuff it in the overhead.

We are still allowed our handbags, computers and cameras in the cabin.. that's all I need.

Another case of "DO YOUR MATH, PEOPLE!" When you are considering airfare, look at EVERYTHING, not just the base fare. Airlines like Spirit (and now Allegiant) will charge you for checked bags and many carry-on bags. Can they still be cheaper? Absolutely...but if Spirit or Allegiant has a base fare of $300, and other traditional carriers have a base fare of $350, that doesn't mean Allegiant or Spirit are cheaper.

Math is fun :)

True. It also doesn't mean that the airline with more fees will cost more. As you say, look at the total fare. Some people may see they won't fly Allegiant due to the fees. Just as some people say they'd fly only Southwest because of a lack of fees (other than the $10 early bird boarding fee). But what counts is the bottom line.

This is why you really have to do your math and pay attention. Cheaper flights aren't always cheaper. I have flying anxiety and have to sit by my husband for when I get scared during landing/takeoff. Therefore those companies that don't do assigned seating or charge you to choose your seat, no thanks!

Allegiant just came to my hometown and I have to say, no thanks, I'll stay with Delta!

Frankly, I sometimes wish my preferred airline (DL) would do this. I'm sick and tired of watching people lugging oversized bags onboard. They stuff them so full they don't fit in the overhead, then they stand in the aisle blocking traffic while they try to take stuff out to make it fit. Never mind the fact that they can barely lift the thing over their head to put it in the bin or take it out, and end up bruising other pax in the process when the unwieldy bag slips from their grasp and hits someone's head or shoulder. All so they don't have to pay to check a bag.

I could not agree more.

Ugh those stupid people who cram all kinds of crap in the overhead and hold up everyone waiting to board.

My favorites are the idiots who cannot lift their carryon into the overhead because it's too heavy. Unless you are elderly or infirm, I'm not helping you.

Give me a little service and more pitch and I’ll be glad to pay extra.

DL Economy Comfort and UA Economy Plus. Both have more pitch and could be worth it to you. I've heard that AA will be doing something with pitch, but not sure if that is a separate zone or a redo of MRTC.

DL Economy Comfort and UA Economy Plus. Both have more pitch and could be worth it to you. I've heard that AA will be doing something with pitch, but not sure if that is a separate zone or a redo of MRTC.

We definitely do use it if it’s available. On our last two flights we used US Airways for long flights and flew first class. While we would love to save money comfort is more important than price.

I believe cranky reported it was going to be more of a EC/EP type service rather than a re-visit of MRTC

Isn't that true with everything, though? Why does the airline industry suffer from competitive pricing when it has become the American way to seek a bargain in everything we buy? I thought free-enterprise capitalism helps businesses... at least that is what the republicans tell us ;)

This is the only forum I've seen where the consumer is blamed for the plight of major corporations... really, I don't think the consumer has that much power. It's not like flying was ever boycotted... people still have to fly for business so it just makes no sense to me.

Isn't that true with everything, though? Why does the airline industry suffer from competitive pricing when it has become the American way to seek a bargain in everything we buy? I thought free-enterprise capitalism helps businesses...
Because the aspect of "value" for your purchase has disappeared from the equation in regards to airline tickets.

You can by an MP3 player with the same capacity by an "off brand" for less than an iPod. But there isn't that demand for the "cheapest". There are a lot cheaper "sneakers" than Nike, but you don't see everyone rushing to buy "cheap". Do you only buy generic "store brands" at the grocery store or are you willing to pay more for perceived quality?

Yet for airline tickets, it's price, price, and then price. Read up on the experience of American Airlines and their product "More Room Throughout Coach" (MRTC). It's a classic indictment of the public who would not pay more for a better product, choosing again the lowest bottom line number.

(For background, American Airlines took out rows of seats on all of their aircraft, providing for more pitch between the remaining rows. Consumers had complained and complained about tight seating, so AA moved to satisfy that by providing a better product with more room. But most customers wouldn't pay even a small premium for the better product - they went for the bottom line. Eventually, AA reinstalled the seats back to original configuration - aka Less Room Throughout Coach.)

This is the only forum I've seen where the consumer is blamed for the plight of major corporations... really, I don't think the consumer has that much power. It's not like flying was ever boycotted... people still have to fly for business so it just makes no sense to me.
Probably not the only place...many within the airline industry bemoan the "race to the bottom" - all driven by the purchasing choices of the mass public. And, to be honest, most people really don't have a great grasp of economics, in spite of how important it is every day of their life. I guess sneaking booze onboard is more significant than supply and demand. ;)

Because the aspect of "value" for your purchase has disappeared from the equation in regards to airline tickets.

You can by an MP3 player with the same capacity by an "off brand" for less than an iPod. But there isn't that demand for the "cheapest". There are a lot cheaper "sneakers" than Nike, but you don't see everyone rushing to buy "cheap". Do you only buy generic "store brands" at the grocery store or are you willing to pay more for perceived quality?

Yet for airline tickets, it's price, price, and then price. Read up on the experience of American Airlines and their product "More Room Throughout Coach" (MRTC). It's a classic indictment of the public who would not pay more for a better product, choosing again the lowest bottom line number.

(For background, American Airlines took out rows of seats on all of their aircraft, providing for more pitch between the remaining rows. Consumers had complained and complained about tight seating, so AA moved to satisfy that by providing a better product with more room. But most customers wouldn't pay even a small premium for the better product - they went for the bottom line. Eventually, AA reinstalled the seats back to original configuration - aka Less Room Throughout Coach.)

Probably not the only place...many within the airline industry bemoan the "race to the bottom" - all driven by the purchasing choices of the mass public. And, to be honest, most people really don't have a great grasp of economics, in spite of how important it is every day of their life. I guess sneaking booze onboard is more significant than supply and demand. ;)

True, the only other area where you see a rush toward generics is with medications, but that is a whole different industry that you couldn't begin to compare with airline travel.

You have to admit though, so much about airline pricing is counterintuitive.... those like yourself who have been flying so frequently and for so long might forget why pricing doesn't make sense to most consumers. Things like round trip flights being cheaper than one-way, longer flights cheaper than shorter ones. Also, the idea of seats becoming more expensive as time goes on is not what people expect because it is so different from how everything else is priced.

Take a pair of jeans.... all the jeans on the rack cost the same, There aren't 5 pairs at $30, 5 pairs at $40, etc so that as you go on there are only the most expensive pairs left. In fact, it is just the opposite... the longer they stay on the rack the lower the prices go. Same with cruises, same with cars on the lot, same with just about everything else except airline tickets. That is what throws people and irritates consumers about the airline industry..... and that is why you will get people coming on here complaining about what they perceive to be bizarre pricing practices. Luckily there are a few people on here, yourself included, that can explain things to those who don't get it.

Isn't that true with everything, though? Why does the airline industry suffer from competitive pricing when it has become the American way to seek a bargain in everything we buy? I thought free-enterprise capitalism helps businesses... at least that is what the republicans tell us ;)

It's partly a taxation issue;

$200 airline ticket =

$185 to airline; $15 (7.5%) to US govt in taxes

$180 airline ticket + $20 baggage fee =

$186.50 to airline; $13.50 (7.5%) to US govt in taxes

That extra 0.75% ($1.50 on $200) is pretty attractive to an industry with razor thin bottom lines.

Check your bag and there won't be a problem ..

I don't mind paying $25 a bag for me not having to schlep it all over the airport and stuff it in the overhead.

We are still allowed our handbags, computers and cameras in the cabin.. that's all I need.

That might be all you need, but I now make sure we have a change of clothes and other essentials for at least a day or two because I have had too many lost/late checked bags!!

So, I'm sorry if my roll aboard bothers others but I no longer trust the airlines to have my luggage meet me at my destination. We rarely get a direct flight anywhere and I know because we always have connecting flights there is a lot more room for errors.

That might be all you need, but I now make sure we have a change of clothes and other essentials for at least a day or two because I have had too many lost/late checked bags!!

So, I'm sorry if my roll aboard bothers others but I no longer trust the airlines to have my luggage meet me at my destination. We rarely get a direct flight anywhere and I know because we always have connecting flights there is a lot more room for errors.

A rollaboard, per se, doesn't generally bother anyone. What bothers me and others is:

-oversized rollaboards that do not fit in the bins wheels or handles first, and have to be turned sideways, thus taking up the space of 2 standard (allowable) sized rollaboards, and causing late boarding pax to have to have their bags gate checked (i.e. delays the flight)

-overstuffed rollaboards that do not fit in the bins no matter which way they are turned, thus requiring the owner to block the aisle (and delay the flight) while trying to removed as much as possible from the suitcase and its outer pockets to get the bag to fit

-pax who selfishly put their small personal item, or multiple small personal items in the overhead, along with their rollaboard, before boarding has concluded (again, leading to gate check bags which = flight delays)

-pax whose "small personal item" is a large duffel bag or other piece of luggage, and really isn't a "small personal item" at all

Archived