Problems with refund after Cancellation

Hudsonstreet

Dont know if this is the normal situation with Oceania but due to a serious itinerary change we were given the option to cancel with a full refund of our deposit however after 5 weeks we are still waiting for our monies. Is this normal !!

Dont know if this is the normal situation with Oceania but due to a serious itinerary change we were given the option to cancel with a full refund of our deposit however after 5 weeks we are still waiting for our monies. Is this normal !!

No, that is not normal. It usually happens very quickly, almost instantly.

If you booked through an Agent, make sure that the three of you are all on the same page about this refund.

Sometimes, there is an assumption that you will book another itinerary, rather than getting the money back.

No, that is not normal. It usually happens very quickly, almost instantly.

Sometimes, there is an assumption that you will book another itinerary, rather than getting the money back.

Ah,the old travel agent trick.

Oceania must be on overload at this point. We are still waiting for reimbursement of $600 airline change fees associated with their cancellation of the Riviera maiden voyage. Our request originally was faxed to them on February 10. Then, I called in early March and was told that they had no record of the request. So I emailed the request with supporting documentation and still no reimbursement. I have called every week since and they say it is coming. I just hope it comes before the May 16 maiden voyage occurs!

I would say this is definitely not their normal operating procedure. When we dropped down in the veranda category, our AMEX card was refunded within a day or so. Now, we are waiting for a reimbursement check for the change fees.

I cancelled a cruise on Marina over 2 months ago and I am still waiting for the deposit to be refunded. As I am in Australia that may be an Oceania issue, or it may be the agent they insist on operating through here. Frankly either way it is an Oceania issue and it isnt good enough.

I cancelled a cruise on Marina over 2 months ago and I am still waiting for the deposit to be refunded. As I am in Australia that may be an Oceania issue, or it may be the agent they insist on operating through here. Frankly either way it is an Oceania issue and it isnt good enough.

I think you and I have just hit a glitch in O's system. I live in the USA and I AM talking to a supervisor. Still no refund---but she is a very nice person that I have spoken with numerous times. Usually, the refund system works quickly. We moved down a category in the verandas and had our AMEX refunded a day or two later. We canceled a cruise and asked for the deposit to be applied to another cruise we were taking and the new invoice was generated a day or two later. Not sure why there is a delay on this current request. The supervisor said it is a very reasonable request with no flourishes so she doesn't understand why the refund hasn't been generated.

Interesting thread. Via my TA I cancelled a cruise about six weeks ago and asked for my deposit to be refunded to my credit card. At the same time I booked a new cruise and gave a different credit card for my deposit. The new cruise deposit was charged the same day BUT I am still awaiting the refund from my cancelled cruise.

Last year I cancelled a cruise and received the credit to my card within days. Something has certainly changed. I will be talking to my TA in the morning.

Maybe the accounting department went on maternity leave, retired, vacation,:D:D:D:D and that is the reason why the cheque is not yet in the mail. Maybe they are in the middle of an audit, and that definitely slows things down.:eek::eek: Sometimes there just is problems due to computers frying, new employees and the list goes on. Hopefully you will all have your refunds pronto.

I recall reading a while back a post that O is no longer using the Irish bank they used to handle CC payments (and hence the discussion of credit cards that charge foreign transaction fees). Perhaps one handled the charge and another will be issuing the crredit. Don't know, just a thought.

I think you and I have just hit a glitch in O's system. I live in the USA and I AM talking to a supervisor. Still no refund---but she is a very nice person that I have spoken with numerous times. Usually, the refund system works quickly. We moved down a category in the verandas and had our AMEX refunded a day or two later. We canceled a cruise and asked for the deposit to be applied to another cruise we were taking and the new invoice was generated a day or two later. Not sure why there is a delay on this current request. The supervisor said it is a very reasonable request with no flourishes so she doesn't understand why the refund hasn't been generated.

My question is why are you calling O instead of an advocate doing it??

Jancruz1

Wow, we cancelled the day after they announced the delay on the maiden voyage and we were issued a refund as soon as the paperwork reached them. I would imagine it didn't take more than three weeks at the most. I think it took this long because there were so many of us who had to cancel. Had I been a little slower to book the air and hotels, this would have been such an easy cancellation. As it was, I booked the air and hotels one day before they announced the change. At least British Airlines returned my miles (for a fee) and gave us back our free companion ticket to use again.

Karen

Well sadly we are now at 7 weeks and still waiting for our refund of our deposit and the correspondence has been poor to say the least. Interesting to note that Oceania has just become a member of ABTA in the UK and are operating well outside their code of conduct on refunds.

Well sadly we are now at 7 weeks and still waiting for our refund of our deposit and the correspondence has been poor to say the least. Interesting to note that Oceania has just become a member of ABTA in the UK and are operating well outside their code of conduct on refunds.

If you are in the UK do you get refunds from the cruise lines or do you need to claim them on your insurance?

I seem to recall others on CC mentioning they need to claim on their insurance

I do not know for sure ..just asking

If you are in the UK do you get refunds from the cruise lines or do you need to claim them on your insurance?

I seem to recall others on CC mentioning they need to claim on their insurance

I do not know for sure ..just asking

Nothing further from the OP. I wonder if you hit the nail on the head, Lyn?

Good catch, if that was the case. :D

Nothing further from the OP. I wonder if you hit the nail on the head, Lyn?

Good catch, if that was the case. :D

We have met several Brits on the cruises & they told me when they had to cancel a cruise they had to claim the deposit through insurance ..not sure if that applies to all booking from the U.K. or not

It was just a thought

Maybe that was it ;)

But you think his TA would have told them that ???

That is why is is always a good idea for posters to put their Country in the profile ;)

Lyn

No unfortunately Oceania offered us a refund after they made several itinerary changes to the ports on our cruise. The TA is refusing to give us our refund until Oceania give them their refund and they all state the refund must come from the head office in the US to the UK. Who would have thought in todays computer and technical world it would take now seven weeks and no monies .. To date we have not been impressed by all parties ....

I cancelled in the UK and received the refund the following day.

We have met several Brits on the cruises & they told me when they had to cancel a cruise they had to claim the deposit through insurance ..not sure if that applies to all booking from the U.K. or not

It was just a thought

Maybe that was it ;)

But you think his TA would have told them that ???

That is why is is always a good idea for posters to put their Country in the profile ;)

Lyn

In the UK you cancel through your TA and you will be fully refunded provided it is outside 90 days of the departure date.You will need to send a cancellation e-mail to your TA and the refund will be made to the credit card used at the time of booking

In the UK you cancel through your TA and you will be fully refunded provided it is outside 90 days of the departure date.You will need to send a cancellation e-mail to your TA and the refund will be made to the credit card used at the time of booking

Thanks for clearing that up

I have read this thread regarding refunds. Our goal is process refunds within a week. When they are processed back to a credit card it is almost instantaneous. Under certain circumstances refunds must be made by check (e.g. TA originally pays with a check instead of a cc). These refunds take longer particularly when they need to be mailed out of the country. That said, as we accomodated guests on the intial Riviera sailings, we had a back log to work through. I appreciate everyone's patience as we are now running back to standard (one week). Your feedback on this thread has been helpful. Thank You

Kunal S. Kamlani

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share our recent Riviera cancellation experience.

We were scheduled on both of the Riviera's two canceled maiden voyages, but were unable to make the third sailing.

We had booked our own non-refundable air, but were not able to change/use it within the airline's alloted time frame (one year). We asked Oceania to refund our air fare and we received a check in the mail today!!

I may be thought of as one who only has good things to say about O, but all of our experiences with Oceania have been positive!

Judy

Archived