DIY Land packages for Alaska

Calif-BeachBum

Hi,

A group of us (5 couples) are taking the inland passage from Vancouver BC in Mid May 2012.

I’ve been to Ketchikan 3 or 4 times so I’m open to anything new and different. In Juneau, some will probably want to see the Mendenhall Glacier, but others who have done that, will probably be up to something else. As for Skagway, many will probably opt for the White Pass Rail trip, but, again, some have been there a couple of times and would like to explore other options.

Any Ideas?

We have also opted for a land cruise-tour package that includes 2 nights and one full day at the Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge then from Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge a morning in the Park for a Natural History Tour w/ the rest of the day in the park on our own. The next day we’re at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge for the better part of the day and then on to Anchorage.

Suggestions?

Also, there’s 8 of us arriving 3 days early in Vancouver before the cruise. That’s just a bit too many for a rental mini-van… does anyone have any suggestions for reliable land tour guides in Vancouver?

There is a good hop on hop off bus in Vancouver.

Your group needs to look over a shore excursion list, there are hundreds of tours to consider. Determining budgets, narrowing down interests, comparisms, all have to be done.

As for the interior Alaska cruisetour- I hope you know, that your Natural History tour does NOT get into the park, and frankly a waste of time. For those who do any interest in Denali - meaning wildlife and scenery- they will need to CANCEL the Natural History tour with Princess and get a refund. They then have the option to book a shuttle bus, or tour bus direct. Be sure to state you have paid the park admission, so you don't pay it twice.

Same thing with Copper Princess, why did you choose this itinerary?? There are many touring options that are excellent in this area, some are far better with your own transportation, but Princess should have tours available. McCarthy/Kennicott are very worthwhile.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We chose the Cruise-Tour through Princess months ago based primarily on its convenience for a group of 5-8 couples, some of which have never traveled to Alaska before. That early into trip planning, I thought it might be overwhelming for some to offer a `grab bag' of options including transportation and lodging in 2-3 different areas of the state, so we picked a land tour that included something for the fishing fanatics (Copper River) and something for the nature lovers (Denali). That being the case, I am now researching options off the main menu from/through Princess for each of our ports of call and land destinations.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We chose the Cruise-Tour through Princess months ago based primarily on its convenience for a group of 5-8 couples, some of which have never traveled to Alaska before. That early into trip planning, I thought it might be overwhelming for some to offer a `grab bag' of options including transportation and lodging in 2-3 different areas of the state, so we picked a land tour that included something for the fishing fanatics (Copper River) and something for the nature lovers (Denali). That being the case, I am now researching options off the main menu from/through Princess for each of our ports of call and land destinations.

They may not be the cheapest, and may not offer the independent minded enough options, but Princess does land tours in Alaska very, VERY well. We took one on a last-minute deal that didn't allow us to plan our own trip. They have everything under control and made it very convenient. You never have to mess with your luggage. You set it outside your door before you leave, and its waiting for you in your room when you arrive at the next location. The bus drivers are very informative, allow stops for pictures, meals, etc. The hotels are pretty nice.

Like others have said, you can get more "bang for your buck" by doing your own thing, but you have to plan it, purchase it, and deal with problems that may come up along the way. We will do that next time we go, but for newbies, or last minute travelers, or people who aren't comfortable driving, etc. Princess land tours are useful.

Copper river is very peaceful, but has less chances for easy/cheap excursions. We had two nights, and we used it to relax from our excursion-full cruise...

It is possible that in mid may the Juneau circus may still be open. It is located in the capital building ;)

I my own experience having been a tour guide and also a tourist, I can tell you that with a group that large you will all be happier if folks separate during the daytimes and do different tours and activities.

I have seen more than one large group have a serious argument and bust up that resulted in a lot of hard feelings.

At the very least, allow for some times in port and along the way with complete free time so that whoever chooses to just go off on their own can do so....or even stay in bed and sleep.

It is possible that in mid may the Juneau circus may still be open. It is located in the capital building ;)

I'll stick to the flora and fauna... We've got our own 3 ring circus in Sacramento...

Ring #1 - State Senate

Ring #2 - Public Employee Unions

Ring #3 - State Assembly

Ring Master (aka... puppet) - Jerry (Moonbeam) Brown

I my own experience having been a tour guide and also a tourist, I can tell you that with a group that large you will all be happier if folks separate during the daytimes and do different tours and activities.

I have seen more than one large group have a serious argument and bust up that resulted in a lot of hard feelings.

At the very least, allow for some times in port and along the way with complete free time so that whoever chooses to just go off on their own can do so....or even stay in bed and sleep.

I agree, that's why I opted for the `structure' of a Princess Cruise tour, but no more than that. If they don't like the accommodation, it's not my fault.

What I am trying to do though, is line up a few port tour options that they can opt in or not. Giving (especially the first timers) a few options outside of what's available from Princess, especially on the land portion of the trip.

If you have the whole day at Denali, any who wish can get a credit from Princess for the Natural History Tour and instead take the park shuttle all the way to Wonder Lake for less money.

What I am trying to do though, is line up a few port tour options that they can opt in or not. Giving (especially the first timers) a few options outside of what's available from Princess, especially on the land portion of the trip.

I still suggest, that it's simple to just look over a shore excursion list. Descriptions are good, prices are listed and easy choices can be made. As I've said, there are 100's of excellent tours to consider. Once the list is narrowed down, then you can get information on vendors, if anyone chooses to book independent.

I still suggest, that it's simple to just look over a shore excursion list. Descriptions are good, prices are listed and easy choices can be made. As I've said, there are 100's of excellent tours to consider. Once the list is narrowed down, then you can get information on vendors, if anyone chooses to book independent.

BQ... Thanks, we've done that and are now in the `narrow' down mode. Since I haven't taken this cruise in 6 years, I was hoping for some ideas that aren't available in the cruise line's standard fare along w/third party vendor recommendations for those that are. More so though, I am really looking for side trips by local guides while in Copper River & Denali or recommendations like that from jazzbeau.

BTW... I am a `Top Contributor' on TripAdvisor and always use their site for travel suggestions, but no longer hold their site in high esteem as they cater to the merchant too much, disallowing many user reviews that don't meet their `politically correct' standards and deleting most any merchant contested review.

More so though, I am really looking for side trips by local guides while in Copper River.

You are going to have to google Copper River guides (I assume from your earlier post that you mean for fishing) and call/email them with your specific dates to find out what is available. You could also call Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game. I think you may be too early for what you are looking for, but I'm not the family member who keeps that info in my head:confused:. There can be great grayling fishing in May, but I haven't tried it in the specific area you will be. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInforuntiming.main

BTW... I am a `Top Contributor' on TripAdvisor and always use their site for travel suggestions, but no longer hold their site in high esteem as they cater to the merchant too much, disallowing many user reviews that don't meet their `politically correct' standards and deleting most any merchant contested review.

I think TA and CC are both provided by expedia so of course there will be vendor support. I noticed the new 'classified' area in the Alaska forum of CC so it seems this site will become as vendor oriented as TA but perhaps in a different way.

As for copper river salmon ... the first shipment arrives in Seattle around mid May each year. I don't know if the salmon were caught near Copper River Center .... the salmon have quite a route to travel.

If you use the Search function in TA you don't find as much information but at least it's a first hand account from a traveller. Do a search in the Copper River forum for 'charter' and see if it brings up any info. In addition to the Alaska F&G, the Alaska Outdoor Journal might be helpful. Is there a Copper Center Chamber of Commerce ?

To answer your question on Vancouver - we seldom take organized tours, but had limited time in Vancouver so took a pre-cruise tour with LandSea tours. We felt like we really got a lot of bang for our buck with them picking us up from our hotel, showing us lots of things in the city, plus having our luggage delivered to the ship. They have several other tour options since your will be there longer.

As for copper river salmon ... the first shipment arrives in Seattle around mid May each year. I don't know if the salmon were caught near Copper River Center .... the salmon have quite a route to travel.

?

No, those salmon are not caught near Copper Center. Here are representative dates: http://www.copperriversalmoncharters.com/season.htm (The Klutina River is near the Copper River Princess).

However, things change from year to year, so it's best to get the info direct from the local guides and the state officials. There's no point in taking the time to search for a recommended guide if the season isn't even open.

BQ... Thanks, we've done that and are now in the `narrow' down mode. Since I haven't taken this cruise in 6 years, I was hoping for some ideas that aren't available in the cruise line's standard fare along w/third party vendor recommendations for those that are. More so though, I am really looking for side trips by local guides while in Copper River & Denali or recommendations like that from jazzbeau.

Check out PRIVATE tours in Copper River VERY thoroughly. Since it is very isolated as is the Kenai Princess, Princess MAY NOT allow private vendors on their property.

The Kenai Princess has had that rule in effect for 3 years (4 this summer). You have to walk to the public road-1.5-2 miles to be able to use a private guide or have a car and drive (not likely with a cruise tour).

You are essentially "captured in Princessland". Do you REALLY think they want private vendors taking their business in these remote resorts??? No, they don't and not allowing private vendors on their property is one way to keep the competition at bay.

Denali is easy-they can't "capture" you.

QUOTE]

To recommend an independent vendor, I need to know what kind of tour??? Are you referring to Fishing at Copper River?

Same thing with Denali Park, I've taken several tours, but mostly focus on getting into the park. Without a car, also is very limiting in this area. Here is the Denali Chamber list for a look perhaps. http://www.alaskaone.com/_DCC/members/

If you have the whole day at Denali, any who wish can get a credit from Princess for the Natural History Tour and instead take the park shuttle all the way to Wonder Lake for less money.

Thanks, I've opted out of the included Natural History Tour and am going to book the Tundra Tour direct from the Park Service. I talked to them and all things considered, it makes the most sense for our group as one of us has had recent knee surgery, so hiking isn't high on her list. Also w/ the no/BYO lunch option on the shuttle, we'd half to make `arrangements' at the Princess lodge for a `box lunch' of some type ($25+??) so the difference between the 2 isn't all that much anymore. Anyway, we're there on a Saturday and according to the reservationist, the hop-off/hop-on probability for a group of 10 on a Saturday isn't too likely, requiring us to be fragmented, with some waiting for another shuttle or two, which might add up to an hour or more waiting (in the rain?) for some.

I think the afternoon tour, picking us up at the lodge between 1:30 and 3:00, is starting to look pretty good.

Now.. Any suggestions for the non-fishermen at the Copper River Lodge area?

To recommend an independent vendor, I need to know what kind of tour??? Are you referring to Fishing at Copper River?
Thanks all... Looks like we've got the day in Denali pretty much worked out.

As far as Copper River goes, there's a few who aren't along for the fishing and are not comfortable in small planes/helicopters. So they're looking for alternatives.

It looks like the Klutina River rafting is booked up through Princess. Know of any third party vendors?

Also. has anyone tried the Copper River jet boat or gone on the Prince William Sound Glacier tour?

As far as Copper River goes, there's a few who aren't along for the fishing and are not comfortable in small planes/helicopters.

It looks like the Klutina River rafting is booked up through Princess. Know of any third party vendors?

Also. has anyone tried the Copper River jet boat or gone on the Prince William Sound Glacier tour?

Have you checked to see if there is any fishing yet?

Thanks, I've opted out of the included Natural History Tour and am going to book the Tundra Tour direct from the Park Service. I talked to them and all things considered, it makes the most sense for our group as one of us has had recent knee surgery, so hiking isn't high on her list. Also w/ the no/BYO lunch option on the shuttle, we'd half to make `arrangements' at the Princess lodge for a `box lunch' of some type ($25+??) so the difference between the 2 isn't all that much anymore. Anyway, we're there on a Saturday and according to the reservationist, the hop-off/hop-on probability for a group of 10 on a Saturday isn't too likely, requiring us to be fragmented, with some waiting for another shuttle or two, which might add up to an hour or more waiting (in the rain?) for some.

I think the afternoon tour, picking us up at the lodge between 1:30 and 3:00, is starting to look pretty good.

Now.. Any suggestions for the non-fishermen at the Copper River Lodge area?

You have some errors in your assumptions. Even on the TWT you are best advised to bring your own food. The included "snack " is skimpy. It also is not in the price range you are listing, IF you consider Subway, Bubbs Subs (if still open), the foods at the Access Center etc. Costs are more likely in the $15 range, or IF you do require a $25 lunch, then the TWT inclusion is definately not going to make it.

With independent booking, you do get a specific time for the TWT. You must be booking otherwise, if you have the range you list?? Through Princess? There is NO Hop on Hop off factor with the TWT, you remain on the SAME bus your entire transit. You also can stay on a shuttle bus, the ENTIRE distance with your reserved seats as well. Benefit is that heavy bear activity area to Eielson and the nice visitor center, with running water and flusk toilets. :)

You won't have any transportation for any raft trips and the ones I know of don't pick up at Princess. I suggest if of interest, book through them. The Wrangel National park is spectacular, and very different from Denali- a tour to McCarthey /Kennicott, is a top choice.

Just one thing that quite a few including the OP are overlooking. The OP's trip is in MID MAY. No exact dates have been posted AFAIK.

1. The road won't be open very far into the park. NHT may be the ONLY tour that is available.

2. Fishing will most likely SUCK at Copper River. Way too early for Kings and if there is still ice in the rivers, trout, grayling, etc. etc. won't be open for fishing. DH sure wouldn't waste a bunch of money fishing for trout or grayling which you can do most any place in Alaska in just about any stream (ADFG restrictions taken into consideration) and with all the new halibut regulations, even that is not a very good choice in a lot of places anymore.

3. Can private tour operators even access the Copper River Princess? Something the OP MUST check out BEFORE planning all these private tours.

Just one thing that quite a few including the OP are overlooking. The OP's trip is in MID MAY. No exact dates have been posted AFAIK.

1. The road won't be open very far into the park. NHT may be the ONLY tour that is available.

2. Fishing will most likely SUCK at Copper River. Way too early for Kings and if there is still ice in the rivers, trout, grayling, etc. etc. won't be open for fishing. DH sure wouldn't waste a bunch of money fishing for trout or grayling which you can do most any place in Alaska in just about any stream (ADFG restrictions taken into consideration) and with all the new halibut regulations, even that is not a very good choice in a lot of places anymore.

3. Can private tour operators even access the Copper River Princess? Something the OP MUST check out BEFORE planning all these private tours.

It looks like they may be on the 5-23 northbound princess, which will have the TWT available to them..

But I would Absolutely heed YOUR expert advice on the fishing, but this poster seem to have fixed plans in place, so probably won't matter, if they don't catch anything??

• 1 month later...

greatam,

Thanks... I called a couple of guides in the Copper Center area and they indicate that June 1 is too early for fishing in the area. :mad:

Since there's not much else going on in Copper Center and no real transportation options, I booked a Prince William Sound excursion out of Valdez through Princess.

Archived