How Good Is The Oosterdam

auusie

i was on the osterdam at the end of february. i did notice some wear around the ship but nothing that sticks out in my mind as Oh My God thats bad. i also noticed the crew cleaning and making repairs were needed.

we had a great time and would do it again.

I was on her in Jan. and she is fine. I would like to think that she is the show horse of the fleet, but the reality is that she is a beautiful workhorse. A few spots of rust, some thinning carpets on the stairs, faded curtains, frayed deck furniture, and missing buttons on some seating in the open spaces. As far as I know everything, worked, air conditioning, heating, toilets, etc. I believe that she is due for a facelift or freshing but don't know when. There is nothing in the way maintenance that I aware of that should interfer with your enjoyment of a cruise. The Lady O is a happy ship and a great crew.

We went to Hawaii on the Oosterdam in February. She is a lovely ship, with an outstanding crew. Yes, there are some slight signs of age, if you look closely enough. Some of the deck cushions are faded and there was a pillow or chair here and there that could have used some attention. We didn't notice any worn carpet. She was well maintained and in very good shape overall. We are booked on her again in September and are very much looking forward to it. In my opinion, any of these issues are completely overshadowed by her outstanding crew and service. Great ship!:)

Sailed on the big "O" several times and have always found her to be in great shape. Why do people book passage on a cruise ship and expect that it will be in "as new shape" ?? HAL ships are maintained to high standards and in 36 cruises we have never been dissapointed with the condition of the ship. Our favorite ship was always the old Noordam, who we sailed on just before it left the fleet, and it was in good shape.

If you have booked on the Oosterdam you will have a good cruise. Enjoy !

We are actually boarding her in Seattle in September bound for Sydney which will be our 19th voyage on the DAM ships . This will be the first season in Australia/NZ waters for the Oosterdam .

The Volendam will also come down and do some Asian cruises as well.

Yes I agree HAL maintain their fleet A1 and our favourite ship is the Prinsendam

Thanks Again

John

Disembarked 3/31/12 after a two week San Diego to Hawaii cruise. Really no complaints. The ship's staff was as courteous / uber-friendly as any we've encountered. And the "lovely and talented Oosterdam singers and dancers" were actually very good.

Cabins well cared for. Bartenders all knew our preferences within two days. Late-seating waiter knew our coffee/tea/wine/liqueur preferences pronto. What's to complain?

Ok, bread. Not that anybody else does it better, but ... why is it that cruise ships offer such lovely bread/muffin/croissant/beignet selections morgens and then bring out stale / chewy / old stuff for lunch and dinnner?

And clocks. Why aren't there centrally controlled clocks, cabins and public spaces, that are always official (if not accurate)?

Tired? Ok, there are occasional scuffs and scratches on walls and paneling. The ship is not new. But everything is spotless. I'm telling you, these people can show you a good time.

We came off the boat 'lowing as how most two-week vacations leave one ready to get home and back to routine. This one not so much. We'd both happily have turned around and done it again.

A photo is worth thousands of words.

Here's a link to the blog we did while on our two week cruise on the Oosterdam at the end of February through the 10th of March this year. Lots of photos and impressions of the ship and crew.

http://thegeomonkeys.com/2012/03/our-cruise-to-hawaii-on-holland-americas-ms-oosterdam-2012/

Here is a link to the photos we took of things that other cruisers were complaining about being in substandard condition.

http://thegeomonkeys.com/2012/03/holland-americas-ms-oosterdam-march-2012/

You can decide for yourself whether the condition of areas of the ship would ruin your vacation or not.

Here's a link to the blog we did while on our two week cruise on the Oosterdam at the end of February through the 10th of March this year. Lots of photos and impressions of the ship and crew.

http://thegeomonkeys.com/2012/03/our-cruise-to-hawaii-on-holland-americas-ms-oosterdam-2012/

Here is a link to the photos we took of things that other cruisers were complaining about being in substandard condition.

You can decide for yourself whether the condition of areas of the ship would ruin your vacation or not.

Vince and Lin, I am so sorry that you seem to have had such a bad time and that your concentration and efforts of finding things that were falling apart was so much a part of your cruise. But I think you have posted this enough time here on CC :rolleyes: I also spent 15 days on the Beautiful Oosterdam in October, they were still recarpeting many of the public areas on our voyage. (yes she had been in Dry Dock in Victoria B.C. last September) I was pretty much all over the ship and darned if I saw what you saw. I guess you need to be applauded for finding so many serious imperfections. It is just such a shame you could not have just relaxed and enjoyed your cruise a bit more and not worried so much looking for the bad stuff.

Vince and Lin, I am so sorry that you seem to have had such a bad time and that your concentration and efforts of finding things that were falling apart was so much a part of your cruise. But I think you have posted this enough time here on CC :rolleyes: I also spent 15 days on the Beautiful Oosterdam in October, they were still recarpeting many of the public areas on our voyage. (yes she had been in Dry Dock in Victoria B.C. last September) I was pretty much all over the ship and darned if I saw what you saw. I guess you need to be applauded for finding so many serious imperfections. It is just such a shame you could not have just relaxed and enjoyed your cruise a bit more and not worried so much looking for the bad stuff.

Obviously, you didn't read our blog or you wouldn't have made most of the statements that you did.

We had a great time on our cruise. We did not spend any extra time looking for the bad stuff. We carry our camera with us all the time so the only extra time we spent documenting the bad stuff was to click the photo.

We were made aware of most of the bad stuff areas by other passengers who were very vocal about the poor condition of areas of the ship. We have never been on a cruise with so many (although a small percentage) passengers who spoke two languages, with ENGLISH LOUDER being their favorite.

It would be a disservice to the CC community to stifle honest discussion of what the conditions of the ship are when someone asks. The photos speak more clearly and honestly (less than a month old) than the folks who come on and claim that the people who have recently cruised are wrong because when they cruised 3 years ago she was in perfect condition.

Believe me, we relaxed and enjoyed our cruise (you would know that if you read the blog) but we also don't drink the Kool-Aid and sugar coat deficiencies when they are there.

Others have posted enough times :rolleyes: about how wonderful everything is and you haven't told them to not post anymore. Not hatin' ... just sayin'

I feel your review was on the money Vince and Lin as you have pointed out what we want to know and also were positive on how HAL had performed and you enjoyed the cruise.

We always find the ships crew from Captain down are excellent but it does not transfer to the on shore staff who in general offer a very poor service.Head office staff are the main offenders I might add.

Perhaps they all need to some onboard service below deck to smarten up their attitude.

You posted a photo of two chairs with pink patterned fabric in the Crows Nest.

What was wrong with these chairs?

You posted a photo of two chairs with pink patterned fabric in the Crows Nest.

What was wrong with these chairs?

You can click on the photo to make them larger. Basically the fabric was tattered, frayed, worn and dirty. This was true of at least 90% of the chairs there.

This isn't anything that the crew could do anything about but should have been addressed in the drydock.

<snip>

It would be a disservice to the CC community to stifle honest discussion of what the conditions of the ship are when someone asks. The photos speak more clearly and honestly (less than a month old) than the folks who come on and claim that the people who have recently cruised are wrong because when they cruised 3 years ago she was in perfect condition.

<snip>

Word.

Your point is well taken. While the condition of the ship may not have ruined your time at sea, the ship is undoubtedly shabby and dated in many areas.

If what one describes really is the way things are (especially with pictures to demonstrate the conditions), then it's really the way things are. No need for the booster club to make snide and snarky remarks about the poster or the message.

The pictures may or may not put me 'off' the ship but one thing really surprised me-the condition of the lounger pads on the promenade deck. Split seams with foam exposed, rips, multiple staines etc. What surprises me is that no doubt HAL supervisors and officers walked by those loungers at some point. Did they really not notice, care or are there instructions from HQ that promote this?

I just cannot see anyone in the hospitality business walking by a mess like that. We frequently stay in Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood properties. I can imagine it happening once...for about ten minutes until a manager or supervisor walked by. Then they would be immediately removed-and all other public areas would be checked.

The pictures may or may not put me 'off' the ship but one thing really surprised me-the condition of the lounger pads on the promenade deck. Split seams with foam exposed, rips, multiple staines etc. What surprises me is that no doubt HAL supervisors and officers walked by those loungers at some point. Did they really not notice, care or are there instructions from HQ that promote this?

I just cannot see anyone in the hospitality business walking by a mess like that. We frequently stay in Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood properties. I can imagine it happening once...for about ten minutes until a manager or supervisor walked by. Then they would be immediately removed-and all other public areas would be checked.

That's the thing that's most surprising about the Oosterdam. Most of the things that Duck Duck Cruise's photos show are all in public areas, visited by staff on a regular basis. First quality it isn't. I'm "iffy" about it being even second quality.

That's the thing that's most surprising about the Oosterdam. Most of the things that Duck Duck Cruise's photos show are all in public areas, visited by staff on a regular basis. First quality it isn't. I'm "iffy" about it being even second quality.

That is why I question the pictures, unless things changed drastically from when we were on last week of October and first week of November. Never once did we see anything to what they posted pictures of :confused: Like I said they must have spent a great deal of their cruise going around looking for this. In all honestly I saw nothing like this in the 15 days we were on board.

GTVCRUISER you spend a lot of time on the Oosterdam and more recently then me have you seen this?

The Chairs from the Crows Nest do not bother me, I just find it hard to believe those lounge cushions were out. Thinking more they were in some obsecure place, possibly even crew area :rolleyes:

Archived