Delta Carry-on?

kelkel2

We've flown Delta several times, but have never flown with our laptop before. We are looking to take it this time due to a 3 hour layover after our cruise in ATL and 2 hour and 40 minute layover in Detroit before our cruise. Read this today....

"Approved Personal Carry-on Items

1 purse, briefcase, camera bag, or diaper bag;

or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked and must be carried on);

or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above."

So, are they saying I can't just throw my macbook in my carry on bag, it instead counts as my carry on? I'm traveling with my husband so it doesn't really matter I'll just hand him the carry on and I'll take the computer. I was just hoping someone had experience with this. Also, is it more difficult to take a computer through security?

So, are they saying I can't just throw my macbook in my carry on bag, it instead counts as my carry on?

No, not really. Basically - your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you. If your laptop is inside your "personal item" (purse, tote, etc) and fits under the seat in front of you, that's fine. That's what I did on all my Delta flights last year (domestic & international)

What they do NOT allow is a computer bag AND a purse AND a rolling carry-on. Only two items. I've had several get agents ask me to put my cross-body bag inside my tote to board the plane:rolleyes: So I just plan to consolidate whatever is necessary before boarding....

For security, just put the laptop in a bin to go through the screening machine.

Thanks for the clarity. Like I said, it's not a big deal because I'm traveling with my husband, but I do want to be sure I'm not the person holding up boarding because I'm not following the rules. I usually take a tote bag and just throw everything in it that I need and my husband just shares the bag with me, so this should work out just fine. Laptop fits in the tote :)

Laptop fits in tote bag.....fine.

I use a padded tote sort of a bag with no issues as my little purse fits in the tote along with about everything else.

When I go through the TSA with another person with do a team thing where one person goes ahead and the other person loads the items into the bins and on to the moving belt. The first person watches it all come out at the other end and counts the pieces.

We've flown Delta several times, but have never flown with our laptop before. We are looking to take it this time due to a 3 hour layover after our cruise in ATL and 2 hour and 40 minute layover in Detroit before our cruise.

If you're just using the laptop to upload pix or something, no problem. But be aware that ATL does not have free wi-fi in the terminals. Unless you have access to the Sky Clubs, you'll have to pay for internet access. Can't remember whether DTW has free wi-fi in the terminals or not.

There is no free wifi at either DTW or ATL. There is free wifi at FLL.

The lack of airport free wifi may explain the people with laptops sitting on the floors near the locations of the SkyClubs. And, fwiw, the speeds inside the club aren't that hot to start with.

If you really need access, it might work better to get the GoGo inflight wifi - try the daily option that would cover all of your flights.

I know the wifi isn't free but I was thinking more of uploading pics on our way back and who knows I may pay for wifi depending on how long it takes me to upload pics and how bored I am. Anyone have an idea on how much it costs?

I know the wifi isn't free but I was thinking more of uploading pics on our way back and who knows I may pay for wifi depending on how long it takes me to upload pics and how bored I am. Anyone have an idea on how much it costs?

If we're not in the Sky Club we use Boingo to connect at ATL, it's $9.95 for a month and you can sign up for just one month/cancel after the trip. Boingo will get you access to ATL wifi, not sure about DTW. SC access, as said, is slow...but not as slow as in-flight GoGo.

Your personal item doesn't have to fit under the seat, that is if you're lucky enough to still have room in the overhead for your carry ons once you board. :)

From the ATL site, these carriers will also connect if you want to shop for the best price:

Boingo

Advanced Wireless Group (AWG)

AccessAnyplace

Opti-Fi

Your personal item doesn't have to fit under the seat, that is if you're lucky enough to still have room in the overhead for your carry ons once you board. :)

If you have 2 bags, FAs will ask that you place one under your seat (your personal item) and one in the overhead bin. And how terribly rude if you put your two bags in the overhead bin, taking space from other people who are trying to share.....

If you have only one bag, of course, this isn't an issue...

If you have 2 bags, FAs will ask that you place one under your seat (your personal item) and one in the overhead bin. And how terribly rude if you put your two bags in the overhead bin, taking space from other people who are trying to share.....

This is exactly what you hear from the FAs over the PA during boarding. And you do know that failing to follow the directions and orders of a flight crew member is a federal offense. And you can be hauled off your flight.

Now, if everyone has boarded and there is still room in the overhead, go right ahead. And I'll bet that happens in one flight in twenty. Or thirty. Or....

If you have only one bag, of course, this isn't an issue...

Wow, how terribly rude to call someone terribly rude! Did I not clarify that one might be lucky enough to find space overhead once one has boarded? To further clarify your judgment, my statement of 'when you board' assumes OP is not an elite flyer, given questions on carry-on bag policies. So when OP boards, at the end of the Delta zone-boarding process, if overhead space is available, she should feel free to put her bag in the overhead.

Though I have to say, I wish every Delta flyer were as adherent to the carry-on rules as you. Then MrWeezer wouldn't spend so much of his day coding flight delays for gate-checked bags. :rolleyes:

You know what, I don't care if you think I'm terribly rude. I can't tell you how many times I've flown and never even used the over head bins because my only carry on fit under my seat. I also can't tell you how many times I've seen people blocking the aisles and trying to shove their way too big carry on into the overhead bins. That's what I think is rude. My husband one flight had someone knock him in the head with one that was so heavy they couldn't quite lift it.

Sorry...off my soapbox now but if you think I'm rude you sure haven't been on the same flights some of these people have been on!

You know what, I don't care if you think I'm terribly rude. I can't tell you how many times I've flown and never even used the over head bins because my only carry on fit under my seat. I also can't tell you how many times I've seen people blocking the aisles and trying to shove their way too big carry on into the overhead bins. That's what I think is rude. My husband one flight had someone knock him in the head with one that was so heavy they couldn't quite lift it.

Sorry...off my soapbox now but if you think I'm rude you sure haven't been on the same flights some of these people have been on!

OP you said from the start you plan to bring just one bag, so feel free to put it in the overhead & enjoy all that legroom unobstructed. :D

And let's hope that your fellow travelers are all as streamlined as you & put their steamer trunks in the cargo hold & not on somebody's head!

Though I have to say, I wish every Delta flyer were as adherent to the carry-on rules as you. Then MrWeezer wouldn't spend so much of his day coding flight delays for gate-checked bags. :rolleyes:
If the DL agents kept an eye on the bags at the "ticket lift" (see how old I am to use that term), those huge ones wouldn't even enter the plane.

Actually, the worst situation is in first. There, it seems everybody puts ALL of their bags up right away, even the briefcases. No "one bag up, one down" for that bunch. DYKWIA. (And I confess that I put the briefcase up if there's room after the cabin fills - Mrs FT keeps hers at her feet always, no matter if there's room or not.)

Actually, the worst situation is in first. There, it seems everybody puts ALL of their bags up right away, even the briefcases. No "one bag up, one down" for that bunch. DYKWIA. (And I confess that I put the briefcase up if there's room after the cabin fills - Mrs FT keeps hers at her feet always, no matter if there's room or not.)

Ah yes, I know that species well, notable by the headphones-on-no-eye-contact stance when the FA is asking "whose briefcase/backpack/purse is this? Could you please hold on to it for now while we accommodate larger bags in the overhead?" ;)

Ah yes, I know that species well, notable by the headphones-on-no-eye-contact stance when the FA is asking "whose briefcase/backpack/purse is this? Could you please hold on to it for now while we accommodate larger bags in the overhead?" ;)
Flew once with a savvy FA who had a great followup to that. After getting no response, she announced "Well, we can't have any unclaimed bags onboard for security reasons, so we'll have to turn it over to TSA for disposal." Amazing how fast a fellow jumped out of his seat to claim it.

Flew once with a savvy FA who had a great followup to that. After getting no response, she announced "Well, we can't have any unclaimed bags onboard for security reasons, so we'll have to turn it over to TSA for disposal." Amazing how fast a fellow jumped out of his seat to claim it.

Good for her! I really do hate how people think rules don't apply to them.

As for the person who said I was taking 2 bags and it was rude, if they had read the whole tread instead they would have read that I was stating I was able to put the laptop in my carryon and that it wouldn't need a separate bag. I just wanted to make sure I was allowed to do that and that the laptop didn't count as my only thing I was allowed to take.

As for the person who said I was taking 2 bags and it was rude, if they had read the whole tread instead they would have read that I was stating I was able to put the laptop in my carryon and that it wouldn't need a separate bag. I just wanted to make sure I was allowed to do that and that the laptop didn't count as my only thing I was allowed to take.

I was actually referring to PRWeezer's statement about putting your personal bag in the overhead bin. Not calling the OP, kelkel2, rude.

My statement referred to bringing on two bags (and in fact, I do still disagree with PRWeezer saying that your personal item doesn't have to fit under your seat. It does have to fit under your seat. However, if it's the only item you're bringing on board, you don't have to place it under your seat. But if it doesn't fit under the seat, it's a carry-on, not a personal item. Semantics, I know, but they appear to be important in this discussion.

I'm sure no one who has posted here would ever be so rude as to do what I mentioned was rude in the first place, which is to place your two items in the overhead bin and prevent another passenger from using the space for one of his/her items.

Your personal item doesn't have[/I] to fit under the seat, that is if you're lucky enough to still have room in the overhead for your carry ons once you board. :)

I was actually referring to PRWeezer's statement about putting your personal bag in the overhead bin. Not calling the OP, kelkel2, rude.

My statement referred to bringing on two bags (and in fact, I do still disagree with PRWeezer saying that your personal item doesn't have to fit under your seat. It does have to fit under your seat. However, if it's the only item you're bringing on board, you don't have to place it under your seat. But if it doesn't fit under the seat, it's a carry-on, not a personal item. Semantics, I know, but they appear to be important in this discussion.

I'm sure no one who has posted here would ever be so rude as to do what I mentioned was rude in the first place, which is to place your two items in the overhead bin and prevent another passenger from using the space for one of his/her items.

OY! I'm sure it's not typical to quote oneself, but seriously, at what point did I mention 2 bags? I always mentioned the OP's personal item. The OP always said ONE BAG! Semantics indeed. :rolleyes:

I'm so happy for you that your airline travel experiences have been so pleasant and by the book that you haven't experienced any challenges. Sincerely, we apparently agree on some points, but as long as you follow the rules, I wish you the best of luck & best of fellow passengers making your travel experiences smooth.

OP,

I'm sure you know that your computer must be taken out of any protective case or sleeve and placed in one bin as you go through TSA. All of your other items and shoes can go into another bin or bins.

Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an overhead bin across from your seat.

My pet peeve is the number of passengers who stuff the overheads twenty rows in front of their seats. It's a real time crunch issue for later boarding passengers who have to stow their carry ons in the back and have to wait for the passengers to leave before they can retrieve their luggage and scramble for a tight connection.

My personal item always fits under the seat. It may contain my wallet, my ID, and a few baubles but it always has my meds. There's no way I'm letting that item out of my sight.

OP,

I'm sure you know that your computer must be taken out of any protective case or sleeve and placed in one bin as you go through TSA. All of your other items and shoes can go into another bin or bins.

Does this include iPads of a Kindle Fire? Do they have to be taken out of a carry-on and put into a separate bin? Thanks.

I know that iPads and other tablets have to go through separately at a number of airports in Europe. To the best of my present knowledge, the TSA does not require that here....yet.

Also, any station may choose to do so, using the TSA's stated principle that consistent inconsistency is part of the methods to deter the "bad guys". Which is why some stations make you put shoes on the belt, others in bins. Why some won't let you through the WTMD until your bags are in the xray and others don't care as long as the line moves.

Yes, it's theater. (Especially when I read official TSA notices in an elevator at SEA stating that employees can't bring liquids through the passenger checkpoints, but are allowed to do so at the employee entrances. As if the baggage handler or clerk at the food court is a better security risk than a 100k per year flyer)

Archived