Cellar Master Wine package

sakana

I am thinking about buying this for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. My mom and I had it on the Westerdam last year and really enjoyed it - especially the wine tastings and the Pinnacle grill dinner. A few questions:

1) I assume "Cellar Master Package, Double, 7-10 days" is for two people and the "single" option is if you are traveling alone?

2) Does this package get discounted (like the thermal suite pass does) once onboard? To buy the double online is 293.00.

3) We're sailing from port in our home city, so it would be really easy to bring a few bottles of our own wine (and beer) aboard. I am wondering if we'll end up with too much wine if we buy the cellar master package on top of that? I would like to buy some sort of wine package/bottles, to enjoy wine with dinner.

Thanks for any replies/advice.

A package may have some good and some bad... proably more poor than great wines. I would go and buy your favorite wine for the cruise... buy local stuff that you personal like. Packages include a lot of stuff that is not selling or the company has the highest profit . They are more of a boon to the seller than the buyer

Dont take a chance. for $20 corkage you get a known quanity not a crap shoot.

You cant bring beer on as I recall Wine only

Thanks for the input, Hawaiidan. Like OP, I'm thinking about a wine package for my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam. I assume their are no corkage fees on the wines through the wine package, and you can enjoy them at dinner or anywhere else on the cruise? Also, it comes with two wine tastings, are there any other ways to get those wine tastings?

Beer is not allowed to brought onto the ship.

There are no discounts for any of the wine packages unless you are a 3 star Mariner (25% off the package) and 4 star Mariner (50% off the package).

There are no corkage fees for wines that are from HAL's stock. You can ask for the package to be delivered to your cabin -- then you can take a bottle anywhere on the ship.

There are 2 wine tastings -- The regular one is $15 per person and the Premimum one is $35 per person.

I would wait until you are on the ship before you buy any package. Some people here have mentioned that once on the ship -- not all the wines listed in a package are available. Last summer we bought the Navigator package a couple of wines were not available -- but we lucked out as the ones we like were still in stock. And rarely do they substitiute other wines.

So, the wine tastings are 15 and 35 pp, and the Pinnacle Grill dinner is 25pp. If you deduct these costs from the package price you're at 143.00 for 6 bottles of wine, plus a gift. That works out to about 23 dollars a bottle, tax + gratuity included. The gift on our last cruise was a set of wine glass rings...and some other small gift I can't remember...

It seems like a fairly good bargain, given the cost to buy a bottle on board. Even one of my "best bets for 11 dollars" bottles from home would end up costing 31 dollars after paying a 20.00 corkage fee.

PS Thanks for the info about the beer. I'm pretty sure last time I asked a question about HAL beer that the answer was they have nothing on draft and nothing local. :( Guess we'll have to have our beers in port ;)

PPS What about liquor, it might be nice to bring on a bottle of aquavit or limoncello...is that allowed?

Hal wine list is not that good and its a huge rip-off charging about 400 percent over what you would pay in a wine store and sometimes even double what you would pay in some resturants, bring the wine you want on board and then pay the 18 dollar corkage if you drink it in a public area. ( it was a 18 dollar corkage 5 months ago at least ), I brought on over a case for my last cruise and saved a bundle and also drank the wine of our choice.

You can bring on wine, soft drinks, and water. No beer or liquor.

Many liquors are available through the ship and the prices are not bad considering the size of the bottles.

Look for the rolling happy hours on the ship. On our recent cruise there were "buy one drink, get one for a $1 on selected drinks" (and like) deals for one hour each in most of the inside bars in the evening. All these things are announced in the daily Explorer. For example Crow's Nest was 5-6pm and 9-10pm and Ocean Bar was 7-8pm. Lots of folks took advantage of these deals. I know I enjoyed a pre-dinner sherry or Side Car in the Ocean Bar on a few nights.

The drink of the day can be very fun too. We discovered some new ones at the Mixology Class in the Crow's Nest, again highly recommended event that is worth far more than the $12.50 fee they charge. Lots of mixing, tasting, bad jokes that get funnier as the class goes on, and free drink raffles. I think our favorite at the class was the Strawberry Basil Bellisimo. Yum!! Again, look for it in the Explorer.

We always bring our own wine and always tell the wine stewards we are happy as a clam to pay the corkage as we appreciate the privilege HAL gives us. We did indeed once again use the pre-paid discounted beverage card for our corkage along with other beverage purchases. We also happily offer our stewards a sample of our wine when they open it.

The wine selection for the wine packages was unremarkable and exceptionally limited in our opinion but opinions on wine vary greatly so ymmv. HERE is a link to my pictures of the wine package brochure listing the wines available, cost, and how it works. I am sure the selection varies from ship to ship, season, and location.

Hope this helps :)

We usually buy just the wine package (not the cellar master) as we can use our 4* mariner and it makes it quite reasonable. We can normally find a couple of decent bottles in the selection. We normally wait until we board so we can see the selection on the ship. We also bring a couple of outstanding bottles down to the dining room and happily pay the corkage fee:D Just a matter of doing what is right and makes sense for you and yes, although they have a standard list, the selection varies from ship to ship:)

So, the wine tastings are 15 and 35 pp, and the Pinnacle Grill dinner is 25pp. If you deduct these costs from the package price you're at 143.00 for 6 bottles of wine, plus a gift. That works out to about 23 dollars a bottle, tax + gratuity included. The gift on our last cruise was a set of wine glass rings...and some other small gift I can't remember...

It seems like a fairly good bargain, given the cost to buy a bottle on board. Even one of my "best bets for 11 dollars" bottles from home would end up costing 31 dollars after paying a 20.00 corkage fee.

PS Thanks for the info about the beer. I'm pretty sure last time I asked a question about HAL beer that the answer was they have nothing on draft and nothing local. :( Guess we'll have to have our beers in port ;)

PPS What about liquor, it might be nice to bring on a bottle of aquavit or limoncello...is that allowed?

Those among the restricted items that you can not bring onto the ship.

You can buy alcohol for cabin consumption.

Price list that you can either order from Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) or from room service when you get on the ship or from HAL online under indulgences.

Note: 15% gratuity included:

Alcohol and Spirits -- the Alcohol bottles are 1 liter size.

VODKA: CHOPIN $70.15

VODKA: STOLICHNAYA $29.90

VODKA: ABSOLUT - CITRON $32.20

VODKA: SMIRNOFF $27.60

VODKA: SKYY $28.75

VODKA: ABSOLUT $32.20

VODKA: GREY GOOSE $69.00

VODKA: FINLANDIA $29.90

VODKA: BELVEDERE $70.15

VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $35.65

Kahlua $36.80

Vodka & Tonic Package $34.50

One bottle of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

Bourbon & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Jim Beam, 3 Cans of Coke

Rum & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Bacardi, 3 cans of Coke

SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM no price found

SHERRY: TIO PEPE $57.50

TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $34.50

COGNAC: HENNESSY VS $93.15

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN VSOP $97.75

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN XO $225.40

WHISKEY - IRISH: JAMESON $42.55

Cutty Sark $32.20

WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $32.20

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $29.90

WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $42.55

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $29.90

Scotch & Soda Package $36.80

One bottle of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water

Gin & Tonic Package $36.80

One bottle Beefeaters Gin, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

6-pack Bud Light domestic beer no price found

6-pack Miller Lite domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Amstel Light imported beer $23.00

6-pack Corona imported beer $23.00

6-pack Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Heineken imported beers $23.00

Sherry Harvey's Med - $57.50

6pack (Domestic) Budweiser, Bud Light - $21.85

3 X soft drinks (any soda) - $4.89

All minibar Liquor Items, each - $5.69

Missed Whiskey/Scotch:

Jim Beam - $34.50

J&B Rare, Johnnie Walker Red - $36.80

Ballentine's - $40.25

Dewars - $48.30

Jack Daniels - $55.20

Chivas Regal (12yrs) - $66.70

Johnnie Walker Black - $77.05

GIN:

Beefeater - $32.20

Tanqueray - $41.40

Bombay Sapphire - $42.55

LIQUEURS:

Kahlua, Southern Comfort - $36.80

Bailey's Irish Cream - $46.00

Sambuca (Opal Nera Black) - $47.15

Tia Maria - $49.45

Amaretto - $51.75

Cointreau - $55.20

Drambuie - $58.65

Grand Marnier - $74.75

RUM:

Myers - $32.20

Bacardi Gold - $34.50

Bacardi White - $35.65

We just bought the wine package as well as bringing wine on for our cabin use. The wine was very drinkable and, even with 2 buck chuck, the corkage fee pushes up the price.

Just a note, if you are 3 or 4 star Mariners, and you purchase your package ahead of time you must go to the Front Office to have your discount applied. I didn't know that since this is our first cruise as 3 star but, after contacting HAL, we were able to have the discount applied to our card.

We just bought the wine package as well as bringing wine on for our cabin use. The wine was very drinkable and, even with 2 buck chuck, the corkage fee pushes up the price.

Just a note, if you are 3 or 4 star Mariners, and you purchase your package ahead of time you must go to the Front Office to have your discount applied. I didn't know that since this is our first cruise as 3 star but, after contacting HAL, we were able to have the discount applied to our card.

Nice to see you posting tooalto:D We always wait until we are on board to order the wine packages now - it only takes a second, we get our discount AND we can make sure what wine selections there are:) For the time it takes to get the discount if I order on line - I could have ordered two wine packages!

Unfortunately the discount does not apply to the Wine Cellar Masters Package so it's cheaper for us to order the items separately:D

• 1 month later...

Considering this for my upcoming Med. cruise leaving Barcelona. Does anyone know which wines are included as part of the package - the selection from the Navigator's list or the Admiral's list? Or is it something altogether different? Ideally I'd bring my own on board, but I'm not sure I'll have the time/inclination to shop in BCN before embarkation, since we're arriving the day of. [Yes, I know that's risky; it was my only option]

Considering this for my upcoming Med. cruise leaving Barcelona. Does anyone know which wines are included as part of the package - the selection from the Navigator's list or the Admiral's list? Or is it something altogether different? Ideally I'd bring my own on board, but I'm not sure I'll have the time/inclination to shop in BCN before embarkation, since we're arriving the day of. [Yes, I know that's risky; it was my only option]

When we've had to fly in on the same day as we sail, I've had luck over the years in contacting a local wine merchant and having them deliver my stuff to the ship. So far so good....

I can't let this thread pass without sticking up for the wine packages. On our recent 16-day cruise we bought 2 pkgs (we do get a 25% discount) then ordered a couple of bottles from the wine list.

The wines in the package have improved over the years.

A couple of items were either permanently or temporarily out of stock - the case was buried in the wine locker according to our steward - but he offered us a choice of substitutes (either same varietal or same region) which were quite acceptable.

I spent 15 years in the wine business and have drunk wines that most here could only dream about ('61 Lafite, '45 LaTour, '29 Quinta do Noval, 1868 Bual, etc.) I'd never take great, or even potentially very good, wines on a cruise. The travel on planes, cars, buses, etc. will have them in "bottle shock" for quite a long time. They'll drink OK, but no where near at their best.

With the 3* discout, the pkg wines are near $20/btl. Since the corkage fee is $20, even 2 buck chuck would be more expensive to drink!

I can't let this thread pass without sticking up for the wine packages. On our recent 16-day cruise we bought 2 pkgs (we do get a 25% discount) then ordered a couple of bottles from the wine list.

The wines in the package have improved over the years.

A couple of items were either permanently or temporarily out of stock - the case was buried in the wine locker according to our steward - but he offered us a choice of substitutes (either same varietal or same region) which were quite acceptable.

I spent 15 years in the wine business and have drunk wines that most here could only dream about ('61 Lafite, '45 LaTour, '29 Quinta do Noval, 1868 Bual, etc.) I'd never take great, or even potentially very good, wines on a cruise. The travel on planes, cars, buses, etc. will have them in "bottle shock" for quite a long time. They'll drink OK, but no where near at their best.

With the 3* discout, the pkg wines are near $20/btl. Since the corkage fee is $20, even 2 buck chuck would be more expensive to drink!

I too, have drunk those wines and more. I wasn't even remotely thinking about transporting or storing that level of grape on a moving ship.

I think about picking up some good Malbecs or Riojas or my favorite Amarones. In the past they have travelled well with me.

The other salient point is that I find it difficult to pay $45 for a bottle of plonk that is available retail for $8.99 and has been stored at "room" temperature of 80 deg. Another difficulty I have in drinking the ship's wine is that annoying serving temperature. I like my reds at 62-65 deg and also want it poured when I am seated. By the time the wine person gets around to me, the waiter is urging us to order. Easier for me is to keep the bottle in the cabin properly cooled and bring it to the table..with my own opener of course...then I'll give them their $18 but have it my way.

From the mentioned wines you have drunk, I would suspect you might feel the same way.

At home, we won't go to a restaurant where I can't bring my own wine.

Sounds crazy...but winos are like that, you know..;)

Tomorrow we will be on the Maasdam and since I am also 3*, I will post back about what is available. We have been on this route 3 times before(different ships) and it is our favorite itinerary. Especially when we early on stop in Halifax and walk a mile or so to our favorite wine shop in a strip center along the waterfront below the town.

As a follow up, I ended up buying the Cellar Master package and also carried on 4 bottles of our own wine.

While the Westerdam allowed my mom and I to select from the Navigator's and Admiral's list last December, on this cruise (Oosterdam), we were limited to the Navigator wines. We enjoyed all the wines we ordered, though, and consider ourselves fairly discerning wine drinkers.

On the second night we brought one of our own favorites to dinner and corkage was just shy of 20 dollars. However, they sent back our beverage card and told us it couldn't be used for corkage. Since I had bought a 250 dollar beverage card before the cruise to get the 20% discount, we chose not to bring our own wine again. When we ran out of package wine, we purchased a couple bottles off the wine list. Yes, the wine is more than onshore, but if we're willing to buy a 22.00 six pack while on a ship then I guess the markup on wine is an expected expense, too.

The tastings were nice and the gift was the same as on my previous cruise- coasters. Our Oosterdam Pinnacle dinner was not that good. Service was abysmally slow. I felt the food and experience were better on the Westerdam.

Does the purchase of a HAL wine package also give you the two wine tastings and dinner in the Pinnacle? If so, what package needs to be purchased for those perks? Thanks for your input in helping me decide on the purchase of a package!

Does the purchase of a HAL wine package also give you the two wine tastings and dinner in the Pinnacle? If so, what package needs to be purchased for those perks? Thanks for your input in helping me decide on the purchase of a package!

I never received a free wine tasting as a perk for purchasing the wine package. A couple of times there has been a coupon booklet in my room for a free dinner at Pinnacle Grill for purchasing a wine package. But I don't believe either perk comes automatically from purchasing a wine package.

By the way, I purchase one (or more depending on cruise length) Admiral Wine package on every HAL cruise, but I am a 4-star mariner which gives me a 50% discount making the package price very reasonable. Some of the wines in the package are...well let's just say not memorable, but there is always something I can find on the package that pairs well with whatever I am ordering for lunch or dinner.

It is far more cost-effective for me to purchase the Admiral package rather than bring wines from home...which I used to do before I earned that 4th star.

The Cellar Master wine package includes 5 bottles of wine, a souvenir bottle of wine, a gift (we got coasters), the standard wine tasting, the premium wine tasting, and dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.

Archived