HH catagory on the Veendam

Freebythesea

DH and I will be going on our 2nd cruise on 4/22 to Bermuda on the Veendam. I booked a gty OV and have yet to be assigned. When I go to my reservation it says that I our room is catagory HH (but still unassigned). I have looked at the deck plans and it is a "full obstructed" veiw. Can anyone tell me what to expect; dark, little light, peek-a-boo view? Thanks

progress.gif

An obstructed view on the Veendam should be an outside on Lower Promenade. That cabin would have the large picture window typical of outside cabins. You would look out across the promenade, most likely to see the superstructure of the ship. If you turn to the left or right you should be able to see sea & sky. You will get plenty of light.

There is a cabin with a view blocked by an enclosed staircase immediately outside the window, but I don't know if that's cat- HH.

There is nothing wrong with these rooms--just no view but you can easily get out to the promenade. Bermuda cruises are usually booked but you may get a little upgrade. Hopefully not to a room under the kitchen. We didn't spend much time in our room while we were in Bermuda anyway. It is so easy to get on and off the ship at will. Just make sure you get yourself out (preferably top deck) to see the view when you enter the island! We loved this cruise.

Except for the four HH in the "tunnel" (300 to 303) you will be able to see water looking hard left or right. These first two pictures were taken standing outside HH 398, looking forward and aft.

The third picture shows what the window faces - the second and third windows are 396 and 398.

The fourth picture shows looking into the "tunnel", with the farthest two windows being 300 and 302. You may be even be able to see water from 302, but I'm not sure about that.

I would prefer ANY of the HH to being "upgraded" to a G or H with just the portholes!! I would also prefer them to many of the FF on the Dolphin deck.

RuthC - It's the R-series ship that have the staircase outside the HH cabins (324 and 333 on the Rotterdam for example) and on the Veendam and other S-class ships there is no problem because the window in D420 and 421 faces aft.

2164892170099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2729036980099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2486659000099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2570048620099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks John for the pictures. I hope they help the OP as much as they do me.

On that other travel site with a cruise forum I often have to explain what an obstructed-cabin-without-a-lifeboat could be. Already use shot #3 of yours to explain the pre-Vistas. Thanks again for adding to my gallery, and especially for "the tunnel".

Freebythesea, you've scored a terrific upgrade. I'd rather have a HH than a further "upgrade" to G, H, or FF. However, anything above an FF is pure gold.

"FF" would be my personal "Danger Will Robinson" category on any ship in the fleet that has them. You think the location/cabin should be great...and yet....YMMV.

IRuthC - It's the R-series ship that have the staircase outside the HH cabins (324 and 333 on the Rotterdam for example) and on the Veendam and other S-class ships there is no problem because the window in D420 and 421 faces aft.

Thanks for the correction, John. I do keep forgetting there are differences in the two classes.

So, that means there's no chance of that awful obstruction for OP!

So, that means there's no chance of that awful obstruction for OP!

Right - but I would still prefer that to a porthole cabin just because of the easy access to the promenade and the larger window.

BTW I erred in mentioning the Dolphin deck in my previous post. On the Veendam it's called the A deck.

Right - but I would still prefer that to a porthole cabin just because of the easy access to the promenade and the larger window.

I absolutely agree.

On one of my cruises I had an inside on Lower Promenade booked. My TA let me know there was an outside, right where you are talking about, for less money. Did I want to switch?

Not on your life!

Except for the four HH in the "tunnel" (300 to 303) you will be able to see water looking hard left or right. These first two pictures were taken standing outside HH 398, looking forward and aft.

The third picture shows what the window faces - the second and third windows are 396 and 398.

The fourth picture shows looking into the "tunnel", with the farthest two windows being 300 and 302. You may be even be able to see water from 302, but I'm not sure about that.

I would prefer ANY of the HH to being "upgraded" to a G or H with just the portholes!! I would also prefer them to many of the FF on the Dolphin deck.

RuthC - It's the R-series ship that have the staircase outside the HH cabins (324 and 333 on the Rotterdam for example) and on the Veendam and other S-class ships there is no problem because the window in D420 and 421 faces aft.

Thanks for the pics that is really helpful!

What's so bad about a porthole cabin?

I recall when the "First Class" cabins on ocean liners the likes of the QE2 had them, sometimes two or three of them......:)

Nothing at all wrong with the portholes.

Problem is the location (extreme bow) which necessitates the portholes.

Ah! Why is FF bad? That is the category I picked. I looked at the ship's plans and asked on the board. It is near the infirmary and looked like a good choice.
We had FF712 on the Veendam (6 years ago), right across from the infirmary. The things I did not like, in order of dislike: (1) the roar from the bow wave all night long. Until I finally got some earplugs I hardly slept all night. (2) Lots of hard pitching when we had some rough water (3) loud metallic bangs from somewhere below and forward one or twice each night (4) too far from everything except by elevator. I prefer to use stairs as much as possible on cruises to offset the eating!

Of course on the Veendam in Bermuda where you are docked for 3 nights, the first three wouldn't be a problem for almost half the cruise.

What's so bad about a porthole cabin?
Not enough light or view for me. IMO the only thing worse would be an inside. (I wish I could stand a no-window cabin like RuthC and some others, but I can't.) Plus as fann1sh said, too far forward.

This information is sooooooooooooooooooooooo helpful. Thank you to everyone. I still have not been assigned a room (anyday now as there is only 14 to go) but someone on the roll call for this cruise did yesterday. It appears to have been sold out for about a month now (call for availabilty is what the web sites have said). We signed up back in Nov. for a rockin price and the OV were the same price as the inside. I will let you all know what we ended up.

• 2 months later...
We had FF712 on the Veendam (6 years ago), right across from the infirmary. The things I did not like, in order of dislike: (1) the roar from the bow wave all night long. Until I finally got some earplugs I hardly slept all night. (2) Lots of hard pitching when we had some rough water (3) loud metallic bangs from somewhere below and forward one or twice each night (4) too far from everything except by elevator. I prefer to use stairs as much as possible on cruises to offset the eating!

I love the FF cabins. I like being low down, I like the windows, I love the water noise and have never been bothered by anchor or docking noise. I like being able to leave my curtains open 24/7, though if we are docking early in the morning, I will pull the sheers before I fall asleep. Cabin 712 is my cabin of choice on the S-class vessels. I really don't find it any further to walk to things from that cabin than I do from other cabins. I don't think there is anything wrong with FF cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

We leave next month on the Veendam. We originally booked an inside cabin. Then hubby realized that the price dropped and called to see if we could get the lower price. They told him no but told us that we would be "upgraded" (I guess) to atleast an HH cabin. I'm assuming the ones above are those? Do those windows open to let in some fresh air? Or are they just like the round portholes?

Do those windows open to let in some fresh air? Or are they just like the round portholes?
The windows are the size that you see in the 3rd and 4th pictures - 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft - and they don't open. In the 3rd picture, the 2nd and 3rd windows are HH cabins.

We've never been in a non-veranda HAL cabin with a window that opens! ;)

BTW - I made an error in the post you quoted. Where I said "324 and 333 on the Rotterdam" that should read 3424 and 3433.

By looking at the pictures, it does not appear to have any chairs on the deck--is there no chairs on this deck? We have an HH (3430) on Zaandam to Hawaii and I was hoping to be able to come out to the deck and relax.

By looking at the pictures, it does not appear to have any chairs on the deck--is there no chairs on this deck? We have an HH (3430) on Zaandam to Hawaii and I was hoping to be able to come out to the deck and relax.
They tend to put the chairs all in the center of the deck, where the open grill railings are, rather than down at the ends where the railings are solid. These pictures just happen to show the ends of the ship. We just move a couple down near our cabin when we are aft of the center section.

• 5 months later...

Archived