Chops on Last Night of Cruise- How Do We Tip Main Dining Room Staff?

Hello Everyone,

On my next cruise (the May 17th sailing of the Enchantment), my boyfriend and I were thinking of going to Chops the last night of the cruise for his birthday. My only concern was this: How do we tip our dining staff if we're not there on the last night? We could always go after our dinner at Chops, but I'd just be worry about getting out of there on time. I don't recall when we receive our tip envelopes either. What alternatives do we have to properly thank them with a goodbye and tip?

Thank you,

Derek

A good alternative is to have your gratuities put on your SeaPass account for you. You will be charged, your hard-working crew will be paid, and you do not have to worry about a thing. :) It's awesome. If you want to say a personal goodbye, you'll need to plan for the second to last evening, or perhaps try to catch them either before or after dinner service on the last night (but I wouldn't recommend that - it could be disruptive and considered rude to those whom your team is serving).

You can also pre-pay your tips, where the total is added to your final invoice and you pay the whole trip before you even leave home. It's a matter of convenience and then you don't have to carry a lot of cash and sort it all into envelopes.

A good alternative is to have your gratuities put on your SeaPass account for you. You will be charged, your hard-working crew will be paid, and you do not have to worry about a thing. :) It's awesome. If you want to say a personal goodbye, you'll need to plan for the second to last evening, or perhaps try to catch them either before or after dinner service on the last night (but I wouldn't recommend that - it could be disruptive and considered rude to those whom your team is serving).

You can also pre-pay your tips, where the total is added to your final invoice and you pay the whole trip before you even leave home. It's a matter of convenience and then you don't have to carry a lot of cash and sort it all into envelopes.

I thought that when you paid the tips with your SeaPass you receive vouchers which still go in the envelopes and have to be handed to the staff. I think the best bet is to tip them on what will be your final night in the mdr so you won't have to worry about catching them on the final night and you can make your goodbyes as long as you wish without taking them away from serving others.

We called into the dining room after chops to say goodbye and give our prepaid gratuities. I'm pretty sure tho that if you prepay the staff get them automatically irrespective of whether the slips are given out.

We called into the dining room after chops to say goodbye and give our prepaid gratuities. I'm pretty sure tho that if you prepay the staff get them automatically irrespective of whether the slips are given out.

I was going to say, maybe show up after dinner and hand them their gratuities in person.

As a Yank, I'm not sure when you say "called into the dining room" if you mean in person or on the phone.:p:D

I thought that when you paid the tips with your SeaPass you receive vouchers which still go in the envelopes and have to be handed to the staff. I think the best bet is to tip them on what will be your final night in the mdr so you won't have to worry about catching them on the final night and you can make your goodbyes as long as you wish without taking them away from serving others.

No they don´t need the vouchers to "claim" their money. The vouchers are just for the passenger to have something to hand out.

I would either go the prepaid tip route, or just hand them the envelope the last but one night and say good bye, telling them you won´t be there the last night. If you hadn´t got the tip envelopes by then, which is likely you can just ask at the Guest relations for some, or you use plain envelopes and handwrite a thank you on them.

The vouchers do not have to be handed out. They are just symbolic for those who want to hand something out. The gratuities that you've been charged for will be distributed by RCI to the appropriate people regardless.

To the OP: either give your cash tip on the second to last night, explaining that you'll be dining at Chops the following night. Or, have the tips added to your onboard acct and then don't give it a second thought.

On the last night of our Serenade cruise my DH and I missed dinner as we were socializing at the Pool Bar. We went back to the cabin and got the envelopes and hand-delivered them during the 2nd seating.

The waiters were so happy!! We decided afterward that alot of people probably skip the last night so they can skip the tips (we just had "tipped" too many at the bar to bother with getting ready for dinner!).

Just give tips the last night you'll be in the MDR or stop by briefly before Chops- a personal thank-you is appreciated.:)

Archived