Just off Oasis 3/31/12 rescue of Cuban refugees cruise

At Ft. Lauderdale airport with about 5 hours til we board. :( If my battery can remain charged and my dd10 doesn't monopolize my phone. I'll begin to post a trip review. Can especially answer questions about Labadee, Jamaica and boot camp, just off the top off my head. Please post any questions you may have.

Ricky Matthews is the current CD. The last two cruises I was on, Ken Rush was the cd. Ricky was different then Ken Rush. Both are good, just different. I think Ricky has a lot of energy. Day 6, after a long day in Cozumel, for the ten thirty showing of Come Fly with Me, he got a very tired me and the others in the audience up and pumped up for the show. I liked that about him. He also seemed a little more relaxed and down to earth than Ken Rush. I am not knocking Ken Rush though. I think Ken Rush was a little more funny than Ricky. I think I enjoyed the Love and Marriage show a little more with Ken. Enjoy your cruise. If you are leaving next week, you are on the Western itinerary. It was my first time doing the Western. I enjoyed it very much.

I too had Ken on both the Oasis and the Allure already so i'm glad for the change! Would really have loved Richard Spacey but it wasn't meant to be :(

Funny how impressions are... I thought Ken was good, professional but very DRY sense of humour... hopefully there'll be some wild and crazy moments with Ricky lol

True I feel Ricky is more wild and crazy. They are different in that way. I think some of Ken's jokes during the Love and Marriage show were a little more witty. Maybe it was just the couples chosen. They didn't have them leave like in the past. I think they miss out on the opportunity for some humor from that. This time they just gave them dry erase boards to use.

I'll start with an overview. I've been on the Oasis before, two years ago. I was also on the Allure last year. I think I like Allure a bit more because of the Ipod dock, better placed outlets in staterooms, more dreamworks activities. I think Allure has an extra parade and also an extra ice show. I also miss the Hot dog stand on Allure. I remember feeling sad that Allure wouldn't have a donut shop, but there is a case for the donuts that I think is sufficient enough. I think the Donut Shop is wasted space.

This was the first time I did a Western itinerary. I was excited about seeing the Mayan ruins in Mexico, nervous about Jamaica and unsure about what to do in Labadee. This was also my first time flying into the port instead of driving.

Some lessons learned from this cruise. I need to pack less. I say that every year. Despite changing my clothes two to three times a day for the gym, excursion, pool deck or dining room, I still didn't wear half the clothes I brought. Also I want to stress the importance of not waiting until the last minute to book something in Labadee like I did.

Thank you for writing the review. Looking forward to reading more, especially about the ship since we sail on her (Oasis) in less than two months!

First review (or any posting for that matter) I've read that mentioned Allure doesn't have a donut shop, just a case for donuts. I don't eat donuts very often at home, but am looking forward to trying one at the shop on Oasis with a cup of coffee.

I feel so bad for those refugees. What a horrible life you must have to go to that extreme to get out of your country. :( They will not be welcomed back with open arms and many of them won't survive.

As the wife of a Marine and a mom to a Marine, I thank god for our women and men who fight daily for us to have the right to our freedom. We are so very blessed to be Americans.

I'm enjoying your review. Thank you for taking time to post it. We all absolutely loved the Oasis and can't wait for the Allure next year.

I feel so bad for those refugees. What a horrible life you must have to go to that extreme to get out of your country. :( They will not be welcomed back with open arms and many of them won't survive.

As the wife of a Marine and a mom to a Marine, I thank god for our women and men who fight daily for us to have the right to our freedom. We are so very blessed to be Americans.

I'm enjoying your review. Thank you for taking time to post it. We all absolutely loved the Oasis and can't wait for the Allure next year.

I couldn't agree with you more and thank you husband and son for their service to this country.

Appreciate the service of your husband and son/daughter.

My father who passed away 13 yrs ago would tell us stories repeatedly of his life as a Marine during WWII. He was so proud.

We should never take our blessings as an American for granted.

Thank you.

Hi kahliasmom,

Would you mind telling me some more about the boot camp?

I did it last year on the Oasis and LOVED it, was so good to get moving after all that red velvet cake in CHOPS lol.

Is it sill just as intense? did you do any other classes in the Gym?

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this sailing of the Oasis as well. Seeing the refugees was heartbreaking. They were spotted on our sea day between Falmouth and Cozumel. It was in the afternoon. The ship was stopped for several hours while authorities were contacted. They eventually transported them all on board. An MSN article said they were kept in a conference room with some crew members. If you search on You Tube you can find some pictures and videos.

When we arrived in Cozumel the next morning they were handed over to the authorities.

So sorry everyone. I am so busy playing catch up and trying to get back into a routine, that I haven't been on here much. I will get on with my review and try to post some pictures. I must also say I benefited a great deal from this review, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1528520. I really appreciates being able to see the compasses before getting on board.

I am not sure what is the best way to post pictures though and maybe someone can help me. I think I can upload pics to Photobucket and then somehow post them or post a link to the here?

I will start with day one. I had better hurry and post what I did before I forget. I can't believe it's two weeks already.

Slept about an hour and a half after finishing up with last minute packing on Friday, March 30. I'll just sleep on the plane I told myself. Our flight was for 6am, the day of the cruise out of Newark. I didn't want to risk getting lost so we left the house between 1:30 and 2:00 am. Had a smooth flight. Dd10 and I got into Ft.Lauderdale a little after 9am. My parents already had our luggage for the last two months. We only had carryon. Both of which were jam packed. So having no luggage to pick up, we quickly got a taxi and were on our way to the pier.

We arrived at the pier sometime after 10am. The taxi was quick. Maybe fifteen minutes at the most due to traffic. Paid, including a $5 tip maybe a little less than $20. By 10:30, we were checked in. Called my parents who were driving in that morning from Port Richey, Fl. They were just parking. Waited for them and then got our picture taken.

The check in process is very quick and everyone is so nice. After getting our photo taken, we went to the second level to sit in the waiting area until we were able to board the ship. Seating areas were organized by crown and anchor points level. Then when you are allowed to embark, they call suite guests first, then pinnacle, diamond plus, then diamond and so forth. There were quite a few people there waiting to embark and get the most amount of time possible on the oasis. I would say at least 200 but probably more. Ok I will break here. I have to get my daughter at art class but will be back tonight to post about day one and boot camp

I had wanted to go to The Captain's Corner when he said he was going to talk about the Cuban refugee situation, but we were having lunch at Izumi at that time. Were there any other tidbits of information that the Captain shared about the refugees?

While waiting to get on the ship, we talked to a nice couple from Ohio. Hi Barb and Norm. Barb coincidentally had posted a few times on the M&M board. After first getting all the b2b people checked in, those waiting in the terminal were allowed to begin boarding the ship. This was around 11:30. I've gotten on other ships earlier than this. They explained at the terminal why Oasis/Allure take longer when I asked, but I forget why. Maybe because there are just so many people.

The gangway to enter the ship from the terminal is a ramp that switches back and forth, bringing you up I would say about two levels. I include this information for anyone with mobility issues who may be wondering. You arrive on deck 5 and enter the Grand Promenade by Sorrento's pizza.

I'm glad we got on early, because I got a lot of things done just ahead of all the lines.

Upon entering mom went to Sorrento's. I went to guest services for something. And we all got holes punched in our seapass cards.

While at guest services, I saw something about the Royal Connect phones. The price sounded reasonable. The guest service person told me to go the card room on deck 14 for the phone but to hurry as there were only a limited number. As I was leaving, I noticed that the line for guest services had gotten a lot longer. I went to deck 14 carting around my carryon, that I now wished I had checked at the pier. I waited maybe five minutes. There were two employees signing people up for the phones. The cost was $30 per phone. So $60 for dd and I for the week. They give you the first two days to try them out. If you don't like them you can return them by day 3, at no charge. I think I could have lived without them, but it was nice to be able to contact my dd when I wanted. Not always so nice that she could contact me whenever she wanted to though. Lol. Next time I will purchase walkie talkies instead. Again, when I left the cardroom, there were several people lined up for the phones. They would probably be there a while, as it seemed to take between five and ten minutes to go through the whole process of signing up for the phones.

Dd and dad went to the Park Cafe. I went to check out the Fitness Center. I had gained weight recently and had hoped to loose a few before the cruise. I didn't but wanted to go to the fitness center to work hard to not gain anymore. The Fitness Center is on Deck 6. One of the fitness instructors was in there. I think his name is James. He's from Australia. I love the Australian accent, btw. I shared with him my weight loss/weight gain story. He told me about Boot Camp. It was $120 for four classes. It didn't meet insanely early like 7am, but not until 10am which was great for me. On the Western Itinerary, we met on sea days. Also on day 4, Jamaica, we met at 8:30am since the ship didn't dock until 10am. Sorry more to come about boot camp.

Archived