Liberty “Funship-Two-Point-'WHOA'!” Review; Eastern Caribbean; 31 March 2012; Pics

MisterMom

Well, one stop before bed - The BlueIguana’s Mexican Fiesta deck party. I was really looking forward to this party because a) I love deck parties and b) I love Mexican drink specials. However, if you haven’t figured it out, we just can’t stay awake much past 10! I did get a pretty fuzzy pic of the party, though. The Spring Breakers were having fun.

DSC02098.jpg

4/5 Day 5 – Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos (Margaritaville, Flowrider, Jack’s Shack and Freddy gets me in trouble. Twice.)

I’m quite sad that this is our last port of call! Alas, we’re missing home and Malik but we’re ready for a cool day on Grand Turk! Time to check the map. Almost there!

DSC02099.jpg

This was our second trip to Grand Turk – our first one was on the Destiny.

DSC00970.jpg

Last trip, we spent the day in the cruise center because I loved the vibe at the Margaritaville Restaurant and surrounding pool so knew I wanted to spend most of my time there this time, too. Plus, they have the Flowrider! From last trip….

DSC00969.jpg

Back then, the cabanas surrounding the pool were still under construction but I knew, if we returned, we would try reserving one. Sadly, when I booked the cruise, all the cabanas were booked. L However, I checked almost every day for openings and, lo and behold, there was an opening and I snatched that right up! So, we were in no hurry to debark since we had a cabana but definitely wanted to maximize our time in it.

We had also made plans with our Alchemy Bar friends Frank and Francie to walk down the beach to try a special drink at Jack’s Shack. I wanted to try the Sandy “Va-jay-jay” (not the real name of the drink but perhaps you get my drift….) Oddly, that drink is missing from their website menu but I had read about it in a Cruise Critic review….

DrinkMenu2.jpg

I also had Flowrider reservations for Cam and me. But first, breakfast.

Derrell is a big fan of the MDR for breakfast. I like the food and the service is acceptable, but I don’t like the waits. I want to be doing something! Anyway, we headed out early to get some breakfast in the MDR. Passing by my favorite place sometimes breaks my heart that I have to wait. What would Jimmy Buffett do?

DSC02101-1.jpg

We were shuffled around while to be seated in the MDR but got an aft table right by the window sharing with a group from Florida. We had a nice chat. My breakfast consisted of the salmon (yum!)….

DSC02104.jpg

And the benedict (yummer!)….

DSC02105.jpg

As I’m trying to pick through my pics for Grand Turk, I find that I’m having difficulty narrowing them down. So, there will just be a ton of them below. Also, Freddy got me WAY in trouble today. More to come on that.

We headed back to our room and our starboard balcony. Approaching….

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

Note the cool whale structure. I’ve got to check that out in person next time.

DSC02130.jpg

Getting there….

DSC02109.jpg

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

One knows it’s time when the gangways come out….

DSC02129.jpg

And the poor suckers getting their pics taken….

DSC02136.jpg

Well, I guess it’s time for us to “run the gauntlet” and head onshore….

DSC02144.jpg

We didn’t check this place out but here’s a shot of a bar/restaurant just to the left off the dock….

DSC02138.jpg

It’s so close!

DSC02137.jpg

Ah, we find our server with the key to the cabana and we arrive at home sweet home for the day – cabana 10. This one is on the end next to the Flowrider.

DSC02148.jpg

We were given a key to the cabana by our server and instructed to push the button inside if we desired service (which Freddy did several times). Inside the cabana was a sofa, coffee table, ceiling fan, air condition, condiments, menu and plates/silverware. On the deck were two loungers. Also nearby was an outdoor shower between cabana 10 and 9.

You can see our view behind Freddy who is READY for Grand Turk!

DSC02152.jpg

Another cool view from our deck….

DSC02140.jpg

We settled in and I got the tunes playing. It was still pretty early (even though it was 5:00 somewhere) so I chilled and read my book. And I remembered that Destiny was supposed to share the port with us. AND she was supposed to be there before us but, for whatever reason, she was delayed. So, we Liberty folks got first dibs on everything! Before long, here she comes! It was good to see an old “friend” again….

DSC02155.jpg

And then, there were two….

DSC02161.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

So, by this time, Freddy was really ready for a Margaritaville concoction. We pushed the server call button and pretty soon, Freddy was content….

DSC02167.jpg

Derrell and Cam also ordered some chips and salsa. We connected with Frank and Francie to settle on a time and a cool lady who lives close to us in GA came by asking about our cabana. She was a teacher/travel agent who cruised frequently and wanted some info on the cabana. Always one to talk, I gave her every detail I could! She came back later with her business card so I may consider using her next time.

By now, Freddy is dry so he’s ready for another cocktail. A red one, this time….

DSC02173.jpg

Freddy is quite the lush….

DSC02171.jpg

So, time to head to Jack’s Shack. We pass by the Grand Turk Cruise Center “Weather Station.” I get a kick out of this….

DSC02147.jpg

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Jack’s Shack, Jack was a contractor (or maybe the lead contractor) for the Grand Turk Cruise Center (I recommend you check out the link). He loved Grand Turk so much, he stayed put and opened his own bar (with cheaper drinks than Margaritaville). It’s just a 10-minute walk down the beach so we had to try it out. There, you can meet their mascot, Topher.

DSC02177.jpg

AND you can choose to support his “academic career”….

DSC02175.jpg

(You can see the sandy “va-jay-jay” in the pic. Yummy.)

When you get the chance, check out his website. I recommend you download your free rum shot gift certificate!

The Flowrider. It’s kind of like a surf simulator or a wave that doesn’t break. One can do a “boogie” board (lie on your stomach) or a stand-up board. Like I said, I did the Flowrider here a few years ago and also on board the Oasis of the Seas last year. I spent most of my time on the boogie board and I actually got pretty good! I was looking forward to attempting some of my “tricks” learned on the Oasis. Sadly, I wasn’t as prepped as I thought and couldn’t get the boogie board far enough away from me to stand up and jump on it as the wave brought it back to me. But, I didn’t let that diminish my good time so please take the 40 seconds and check out the video Derrell so graciously took. You’ll see me make lemons out of lemonade 17 seconds in when I lose my board then ace my “wipeout” by doing a stand-up exit at 37 seconds with a couple “tricks” in between. Trust me; the link works. Enjoy.

th_20120405150558.jpg

So much fun.

Well, our Flowrider time ran right up to departure so it was time to pack up and head back. Derrell was getting nervous about getting back on time. As we’re packing up the cabana, oh crud, I can’t find my Sail and Sign card! Freddy, in his stupor, had done something with my card. We opened every pocket in the backpack and the camera case. We overturned furniture. We emptied every pocket in the backpack and the camera case. No success. We still had passports so I wasn’t too concerned. Derrell, however….

We make it through port security with the passport and head back to the Liberty with Derrell highly frustrated at Freddy’s little trick and current state of inebriation. I still manage to get some pics of my two “gals”….

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

Before approaching the gangway, we make one last survey of the backpack and camera bag pockets. Lo and behold, Freddy pulled himself together and my S&S card was found in the front pocket of the camera bag, where it didn’t belong. We made it successfully back on board in time for sail away. That Freddy….

DSC02428.jpg

Look at me attempting to be artsy by taking a pic of the reflection in our window….

DSC02218.jpg

I wish the “Welcome” sign would change to something like, “Don’t cry. We’ll still be here when you visit next time.”

DSC02229.jpg

A distant view of Jack’s….

DSC02246.jpg

She has a beautiful behind….

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

The Flowrider.......... You’ll see me make lemons out of lemonade 17 seconds in when I lose my board then ace my “wipeout” by doing a stand-up exit at 37 seconds with a couple “tricks” in between. Trust me; the link works. Enjoy.

So much fun.

Impressive!! I love the tricks on the video:cool:

So I have to say great review, but one thing I notice no one ever talks about... Is there a candy store on board? We heard there was we love candy :D

Yes, it's called Cherry on Top. They have pre-packaged and bulk candy as well as cupcakes and other treats. This is where you can order cakes. Lots of fun stuff available.

Archived