Liberty “Funship-Two-Point-'WHOA'!” Review; Eastern Caribbean; 31 March 2012; Pics

MisterMom

Mistermom-I must say I have really enjoyed your review. I keep checking daily to see if you have updated and love the suspense. :)

I have a little question. I am going to be midship on Empress with balcony. Do all the rooms have refrigerators? I have been seeing pics of them but when I read the amenities to the room that is not mentioned. TIA :)

LOL! That's awesome we were at the same place and I captured a pic. Would this be y'all? (Call me a photo-stalker!)

Judging by the look on your face, perhaps you were explaining to your husband how he was using the same logic I used to stroll around San Juan while we were burning up and maybe it was time to consider an alternative!

DSC01969-1.jpg

we were sweating!! we walked everywhere but I have to say it was my doing! my family is from PR and I was given the fam a personal walking tour of the old block! he he...

I had my printed map with each point marked out! a little type A my hubby says! LOL

Awesome job so far! We sailed with you along with my 10 year old daughter so its fun to re lkive it all with your family and Freddy. A smurf travelled with us:). We had a late flight and did not board until just before the muster drill. I may have to copy some of your rain pics. It was pouring, but at that point my camera was still stowed in the carry ons. The downpour was absolutely part of the adventure.

Can you also elaborate on the panaorama shots you took, was that with your standard camera and then cropped? They look so clear. We ended up snorkling as well but on Half moon Cay and in Grand Turk. Half moon Cay was awesome, surprisingly so because it had sort of so/so reviews. Grand Turk was fun too but more challenging swimming the day we went. Sting Rays on Gibbs Island more than made up for the tougher swimming though. Thanks again, loving your review and your photos.

It was time for one of my favorite Carnival events… THE PAST GUEST PARTY!!! While Freddy didn’t get an official invitation, we managed to sneak him in.

DSC02025.jpg

I recommend getting to the party early to get a seat on an aisle as the servers (with the appetizers and, more importantly, free drinks) have easier access to you. Please, also, take some cash with you to tip – you’ll get more attention!

Freddy really likes the rum punch. He may have had a few….

DSC02043.jpg

We had our choice of three appetizers. A cinnamon roll-looking thingy with a sweet tomato paste, a creamy chicken salad and a caprese something-or-other. All three were delish!

DSC02044.jpg

Freddy’s trying to bogart my apps….

DSC02047.jpg

The Past Guest Party was pretty typical. Although, there were some highlights. Jaime (cruise director) thinks return guests should be called… wait for it…

FREQUENT FLOATERS!

I say we start a movement to make this so! :D

There was an excellent singer with the band and, sadly, I can’t remember her name nor did I catch a decent picture of her. Here’s the best I got….

DSC02053.jpg

At one point, she came down in the audience and several folks got to be backup singers while she sang, “Mustang Sally.” I had stolen some sips of Freddy’s rum punches when he wasn’t looking so I was grooving and rocking to her songs. She noticed I’d had some “liquid courage” so she had me sing backup for one line!!! I didn’t see anyone covering their ears or running from the Venetian Palace screaming so I must not have been that bad.

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE cheering for the Carnival ships we’ve sailed on! It’s so cheesy but fun for us fanatics. This activity is especially cool for us because the first two ships we sailed on, The Holiday and The Celebration, are no longer in the fleet. There aren’t too many people cheering when we are.

Begin rant: Another ship we’ve sailed on will “no longer be a part of Carnival’s fleet” soon – The Carnival Destiny. This was our first big ship and we have fond memories of it. I’m saddened that Carnival feels the need to “retire” the Destiny and introduce a “new” ship by renovating and renaming it. Oh, well. I guess this will be another opportunity to be one of the few to cheer with The Carnival Destiny is projected on the screen during the FREQUENT FLOATERS party! End rant.

Freddy and I were sufficiently buzzed so we needed to walk around a bit before hitting, of course, sushi and Alchemy!

We, well, I, stumbled up to the Lido for some fresh air and some gratuitous, obligatory wake shots….

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

There must be a lot of “ground” to cover between San Juan and Grand Turk, our next port, because we appeared to be hauling… butt. The ship was ROCKING! I tried capturing how much we were pitching in the following two shots. Check out the extremes of the horizon in comparison to the railing.

We’re UP!

DSC02076.jpg

And we’re DOWN….

DSC02075.jpg

I love a rocky trip so this was quite fun for me. This lasted most of the night.

Mmmmmm…. Alchemy time.

As I discussed previously, I’m a big fan of Maker’s Mark. Having lived in Kentucky the year just after college and suffering from severe peer pressure from fellow interns, I developed a liking for the bourbon mixed with ginger ale. The Caribbean Manhattan made with Maker’s I had earlier in the trip was good, but quite sweet. I let Adri, master mixologist, know this so she put together this drink with Maker’s, orange juice, some sort of cherry liqueur or flavoring and, of course, flaming orange peel (click for the video to play). I’m a big fan of things that flame…..

th_20120404180243.jpg

Alchemy also has cool snacks in the evening. Thank you, Carnival, for bringing back bar snacks!!!

DSC02079.jpg

We let Adri know we had Diamond Steakhouse reservations that evening so she demanded that we not fill up on the bar snacks. She also had great pointers on how to get our fill at the Steakhouse! “The rolls? Don’t fill up on them! The crouton in the French onion soup? Throw it out!” We were quite entertained. She raved about the Steakhouse food.

We also were lucky to start a conversation with some of our fellow Alchemy fans – Frank and Francie and Shanna and Darren. It turns out, we both have reservations at Diamond tonight! And who do we end up sitting next to at Diamond but them! (You can see Darren and Shanna in the background. And, yes, that is a glass of milk at my seat. More about that later.)

DSC02085.jpg

The menu….

DSC02083.jpg

We started with some amuse bouches which were pretty, but unremarkable. No offense to anyone, just meh.

DSC02086.jpg

There were also some “relishes” and butter on the table….

DSC02090.jpg

The appetizers? OMG! “I could make a meal out of them.” - Will’s dad from Will and Grace

Beef Carpaccio….

DSC02089.jpg

Lobster Bisque with Vintage Cognac….

DSC02093.jpg

JUMBO shrimp cocktail….

DSC02091.jpg

And Cameron and I challenged each other on ordering this….

DSC02095.jpg

Snails! They were baked into pastries and they tasted fantastic.

By this time, I was thoroughly lubricated and entertained by our new friends at the table next to us. I stopped taking pics. Sigh. Again, I think the appetizers were the star of the meal and I cannot wait to dine again at a Carnival Steakhouse.

Off to bed to get ready for another favorite stop of mine… Grand Turk!

we were sweating!! we walked everywhere but I have to say it was my doing! my family is from PR and I was given the fam a personal walking tour of the old block! he he...

I had my printed map with each point marked out! a little type A my hubby says! LOL

It would have been fun to meet y'all! I wish I had been that knowledgeable or well-prepared. Next time! We're definitely going back to San Juan.

Awesome job so far! We sailed with you along with my 10 year old daughter so its fun to re lkive it all with your family and Freddy. A smurf travelled with us:). We had a late flight and did not board until just before the muster drill. I may have to copy some of your rain pics. It was pouring, but at that point my camera was still stowed in the carry ons. The downpour was absolutely part of the adventure.

Steal away! They're public on Photobucket.

Can you also elaborate on the panaorama shots you took, was that with your standard camera and then cropped? They look so clear. Thanks again, loving your review and your photos.

Last fall, we purchased a Sony a55 DSLR or interchangeable lens digital camera. I wanted an SLR with HD video capability to video Malik's football and both boyz' wresting. I took some free classes at Wolf Camera in Roswell, GA (thanks John Manager!) and am really trying to improve my travel photography. The panorama shots are taken with one of the camera features. I set the dial, push the shutter release and pan the camera left-to-right or down-to-up. I really recommend the investment of a good quality DSLR camera. Especially if you're a cruise junkie like me!

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments! I've had a lot of family issues arise lately which has caused an undesirable delay in posting. That, and I get to relive my vacation longer! Which reminds me, it's time to get off the "Carnvial diet" and get back to "normal" caloric (and beverage) intake.... :o

.....I’m a big fan of things that flame…..

bwahahahahahaha....OMG you are absolutely HILARIOUS!!!! I LOVE this review. Your family is beautiful, and wow...I just have this picture of you all having so much fun and laughing all the time.

I don't know why, but I 'giggle' every time I see Freddy in a picture, lol...maybe because in some cases, he really does look like he's had a bit of rum punch.

Totally subscribing to this one, KUTGW

Tpiper55

There must be a lot of “ground” to cover between San Juan and Grand Turk, our next port, because we appeared to be hauling… butt. The ship was ROCKING! I tried capturing how much we were pitching in the following two shots. Check out the extremes of the horizon in comparison to the railing.

We’re UP!

DSC02076.jpg

And we’re DOWN….

DSC02075.jpg

I love a rocky trip so this was quite fun for me. This lasted most of the night.

When we cruised to Grand Turk on the Fantasy back in August, it was the same way even though the weather was fine and we had smooth sailing the rest of the cruise. I wonder if the ocean is more rough in that area in general? We were thinking we may have noticed it more since the Fantasy is smaller, but maybe that is not the case. We sail 1 week from today and this review really has me excited! :)

Ohhhh I hate when I reach the end of a page and there isn't anymore to read :( ... guess it just means that I'm enjoying your review and photos and can't wait for more :D

We aren't on the Liberty, but we'll be doing the same ports (but in a different order), with different docking times, but it's nice to get an ideas from someone else's perspective. We're doing a repeat cruise, with St Thomas being our favorite port, but this time we're hoping to enjoy San Juan alittle more.

Keep it comin :)

Just when Derrell and Cameron thought they’d be spared another roadside attraction this year, I surprised them with a stop at an innocent-enough looking rest area on I-75S just north of Gainesville.

Freddy wonders why I’m taking a picture of him at a rest stop….

DSC01268.jpg

There’s a wall/viewing platform shaped like a giant snake!

DSC01262.jpg

Per the description, The design, in the shape of a snake, features … a “bunny bulge” or mid-point stopping place to enjoy a prairie view… and will prevent snakes in the prairie from entering the rest area grounds.

A panorama view…

DSC01251.jpg

There’s a retaining wall meant to represent the snake’s tongue…

DSC01227.jpg

Freddy enjoys the “prairie view…”

DSC01240.jpg

Hey, that's us! Welcome to FL Freddie,look close at Paynes Prairie you just might see Albert, lol GO GATORS!:D Loving your review!

Archived