Liberty “Funship-Two-Point-'WHOA'!” Review; Eastern Caribbean; 31 March 2012; Pics

MisterMom

From the Main Plaza is a cool spiral staircase….

DSC01918.jpg

Derrell is winded after a flight or two….

DSC01919.jpg

At the top of the staircase….

DSC01924.jpg

Again, “home” is close by….

DSC01938.jpg

After Cristobal, it was time for lunch. We stopped to talk to a Park Ranger (who looked a lot like Tina Fey dressed as Sarah Palin) and she had a lunch recommendation for us which she wrote down for me. On the way out of the Fort, I was so excited about a photo opportunity, I may have lost the directions. Desktop contenders???

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

Well, in my excitement to catch the above shots, I misplace the directions! However, I remember enough to navigate us to Sol 280 ….

DSC01964.jpg

…and Restuarante El Jibarito….

DSC01963.jpg

They were quite busy so we have a wait. D&C may be questioning my choice in restaurants as the wait seems long and it is HOT….

DSC01968.jpg

Gratuitous San Juan street shot while we wait….

DSC01962.jpg

Finally, after about 15 minutes, we are seated. Obviously, we aren’t the only gringos who were told about Restaurante El Jibarito….

DSC01969.jpg

Freddy is “hambre….”

DSC01971.jpg

D&C patiently pose while we wait for our entrees….

DSC01970.jpg

I order the ribs with plantain gravy and monfongo, which is a fried plantain-based dish from Puerto Rico (Wikipedia.org). Of course, I sample the local beer, Medelia. All yum!!!

DSC01973.jpg

We wrap up our meal and head out in search of the next fort….

You are correct - technically the age is 18. But, I'm telling you, from personal experience, that not all bars will "play by that rule". Just as Carnival and most other major cruise lines choose to make 21 the drinking age even though it's lower throughout most of the Caribbean, some national resorts hold their own standard ... just a heads-up in case someone refuses to serve him. (which, imho, is pretty dumb considering the inflated drink prices at most resorts)

(Sorry for the highjack of your thread!)

I think the US is the only country where the drinking age is 21. They offered my youngest a drink in San Juan last year, at a resort. She was 14... The two 18 year olds both drank there, legally. One of them regretted it in a big way! Life lesson.

Back to an amazing review...

:D

San Juan IS HOT! I remember the first time we went - and your trip review is bringing it back in living color, lol. Great photos - and hopefully you made it to the nice cool breezes at the other fort - waiting for the rest of the review.

This is a great review ! Your sons are so lucky to have such great Dads !

*blushes* We're lucky to have them. Thanks much.

How long is the walk between the two forts? I'm trying to decide whether we want to do one or both when we go to San Juan.

It was a haul between the forts and it was HOT! The restaurant was between. Google the free San Juan trolley.... I'll talk about that in my next entry.

I'm LOVING your review! We did that same itinerary 2 years ago and are going on the Liberty again on Sept. 29th. I just love reading about your adventures. I'm also reading the Hunger Games. Just finished the first and started Catching Fire. Haven't seen the movie yet, as I got a late start on the book.

The Catamaran excursion is on our "must" list.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Keep it coming! I am really enjoying it and can't wait for more, but will be sad when it's over. Great preview for our upcoming cruise!

If you had to choose between the two forts (in the heat I can't imagine the family, or me, wanting to do both), which one would you choose? Thanks in advance for the trolley info.

San Juan is our first port of call with a late dock time of 3pm - midnight (which will also be July 4th). As we'll barely have enough time to see one fort before it closes, did you prefer one over the other, or should we make a bee-line for the closest one?

I'm eagerly awaiting your "more on that later" info on the trolley ;)

Thanks for the review.

We are doing your cruise on April 28 with kids 9 and 12. Our San Juan stop is 7am - 3:30pm. At the moment we are not planned to do an excursion, just see some sights on foot/trolley. What times do the forts open? I was also thinking of possibly heading back to the boat either early or else noonish for some a/c and lunch and then going back out - any thoughts?

D&C patiently pose while we wait for our entrees….

DSC01970.jpg

I order the ribs with plantain gravy and monfongo, which is a fried plantain-based dish from Puerto Rico (Wikipedia.org). Of course, I sample the local beer, Medelia. All yum!!!

DSC01973.jpg

We wrap up our meal and head out in search of the next fort….

LOVEEE the review & may I say you kids are very lucky to have 2 great dads!:) we are booked for the liberty in september to the western carribean and im so excited. BUT we sail on the glory in just 4 days to eastern carribean. Was it easy to get around san juan? did you take a map with you or used your phone or any of that? We are also planning on going off on our own and would love to be able to do BOTH forts. :) Thanks!

Well, I think I’m slick and try to find a free trolley stop to take to Fort Morro. It’s quite a haul and we’re sweating up a storm (even after the refreshing air condition at Restaurante El Jibarito). I try looking at the map on my phone and just end up looking around for a stop. What I didn’t research was that there are a few trolley routes and, of course, we end up on the one that doesn’t go to Fort Morro! If you decide to do a walking tour of San Juan and want to use the free trolley, I recommend you print a map at home and bring it with you. There may be maps at visitor centers but why waste time at visitor centers when there’s this amazing service that you can utilize prior to your vacation called the internet! I learned my lesson. It’s likely I would have used this site in preparation.

We deboarded the trolley and just hoofed it (I really had to use the bathroom – darn those Medelia beers!). I think it turned out well because the walking approach to Fort Morro afforded us some great views and awesome photo ops. Sadly, because of my bladder situation, I didn’t stop to take too many pics.

There’s this cool cemetery just by the fort. I can’t wait to explore it next time we visit.

DSC01980.jpg

Desktop pic contender?

DSC01984.jpg

There’s a beautiful green space in front of the fort with families flying kites. I took this pic with my phone and emailed it to my co-workers. They were jealous!

IMAG0478-2.jpg

I didn’t take enough pics to do a “tour” of Fort Morro so please allow me to just feature some of my favorite pics to give you a flavor of this very scenic National Historic Site.

Guardhouse at entrance to the Fort….

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

Guardhouse roof with cool restored lighthouse….

DSC02018.jpg

Beautiful entrance to the fort….

DSC02014.jpg

Entrance to Fort Morro with the cool restored lighthouse….

DSC02007.jpg

Cool shot of the lighthouse….

DSC02011.jpg

San Juan is famous for its “garitas.” I just love these….

DSC01996.jpg

We needed to make it back to the ship in time and, naturally, I wanted to get the right trolley this time to take it back. After all, it was free! We walked to the street in front of the fort and waited… and waited… and Derrell was about to kill me. I acquiesced and we took a cab back. $5 each plus tip so $20 total to get back to port. (The driver hauled butt back to port, even though, we had enough time, and even tagged this van’s bumper! The van driver was none too happy….) We boarded the ship no problem. Shot of the port at sail away….

DSC02036.jpg

Airplane landing just by the port….

DSC02038.jpg

Fort Morro (just barely)….

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

If I had to pick one fort and time wasn’t a limitation, I’d recommend Fort Morro. It feels smaller, has the cool lighthouse, is more remote than Cristobal and felt more scenic. However, if you just want to walk to Fort Cristobal from the port, you won’t be disappointed. That wraps it up for San Juan! Time to get back to ship life.

Well, in my excitement to catch the above shots, I misplace the directions! However, I remember enough to navigate us to Sol 280 ….

DSC01964.jpg

…and Restuarante El Jibarito….

DSC01963.jpg

love your reviews! We were on the same ship and we are enjoying viewing everything through your eyes! We wished we would've known you guys..

We are the family in your picture of El Jibarito restaurant..we are at 1 o'clock at the back of the restaurant with the my daughter wearing the white baseball cap!...we've been following your review and my hubby spotted us in your pic..how funny...to everyone..totally recommend that restaurant..and yes def have the local beer Medallas! Awesome reviews! Thanks for sharing

love your reviews! We were on the same ship and we are enjoying viewing everything through your eyes! We wished we would've known you guys..

We are the family in your picture of El Jibarito restaurant..we are at 1 o'clock at the back of the restaurant with the my daughter wearing the white baseball cap!...we've been following your review and my hubby spotted us in your pic..how funny...to everyone..totally recommend that restaurant..and yes def have the local beer Medallas! Awesome reviews! Thanks for sharing

LOL! That's awesome we were at the same place and I captured a pic. Would this be y'all? (Call me a photo-stalker!)

Judging by the look on your face, perhaps you were explaining to your husband how he was using the same logic I used to stroll around San Juan while we were burning up and maybe it was time to consider an alternative!

DSC01969-1.jpg

We are doing your cruise on April 28 with kids 9 and 12. Our San Juan stop is 7am - 3:30pm. At the moment we are not planned to do an excursion, just see some sights on foot/trolley. What times do the forts open? I was also thinking of possibly heading back to the boat either early or else noonish for some a/c and lunch and then going back out - any thoughts?

Fort info - http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm

Perhaps, walk to Cristobal, tour a bit, come back for lunch and then take the trolley or a cab to Morro? Depends on how open the kids are to two forts in one day.... :cool:

Cam headed back to the ship while Derrell and I soaked up more sun.

DSC01432.jpg

We pulled the loungers up to the tree line under some shade. This was our view for a while. Ahhhh…..

DSC01435.jpg

Recommendation: If you’re going to walk into the tree line, not on a path, say, because you have to urgently use the rest room, WEAR SHOES! I walked barefoot into the tree line and got stabbed by several barbs in my feet. OUCH!

Derrell and I decided it was time to pack up but not before some more exploring. We checked out the new Pirate Ship bar.

DSC01438.jpg

This “ship” is called the Emma Louise from Cardiff, Wales.

DSC01439.jpg

I got a little “artistic” with some of my shots….

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

I think this picture of the cannon with the ship is one of the coolest cruise review pictures I've ever seen ! Really enjoying your report.

Archived