Liberty “Funship-Two-Point-'WHOA'!” Review; Eastern Caribbean; 31 March 2012; Pics

MisterMom

What a fun day, despite Freddy’s mischief. After some steam and sauna, it was time for sushi, but, of course, I did NOT sit at Alchemy.

DSC02269.jpg

Then, drinks at Alchemy. This is a Cucumber Sunrise. Absolut Vodka, Watermelon Nectar, Muddled Cucumber, Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice and a Splash of Orange Juice. Light and delicious.

DSC02272.jpg

Our friends Frank and Francie hadn’t used all their wine package coupons so they gave one to us for dinner. It was a pleasant surprise. However, Freddy would be up to his mischief again later….

Dinner….

DSC02276.jpg

Tiger shrimp….

DSC02281.jpg

Chateaubriand….

DSC02280.jpg

Peter from Jamaica shakin’ his groove thang….

DSC02283.jpg

Funny story. At least Gusti, our server, thought it was funny. I had been having some heartburn the past few days. At home, I typically drink a glass of milk for dinner which must help prevent my heartburn. I had not been drinking milk with dinner. So, poor Gusti had to run all over to get me some milk, for which I was truly appreciative. Sadly, I don’t think the sips of Freddy’s Margaritaville beverages I stole, Cucumber Sunrise from Alchemy, the delicious gift of wine from our friends AND milk mix too well….

DSC02277.jpg

Well, at that point, I was still feeling fine. Derrell excused himself as he was tired out. Cam and I finished dinner and had a good talk about putting the needs of others first when it doesn’t cause harm to oneself. I think he heard me!

Well, after dinner, I was determined to enjoy some nightlife. I was going to the comedy show and Just Rock afterwards. Well, I stumbled to the comedy show solo which was standing room only and the comedian, frankly, didn’t engage me so I left. There was some time to kill so, where do you go where everybody knows your name? Alchemy!!! It was quite coincidental as my Roll Call buddy, Robyn (17andacruiseaddict), showed up with her mom! I was a drunk mess, but Robyn tells me I was a good drinking buddy! We had a great conversation and I look forward to many more when our paths cross again!

DSC02285.jpg

Freddy convinced me to get another drink which pretty much pushed me over the edge. I stumbled back to the state room and put the trashcan next to the bed…. Just in case…. Hopefully, I’ll see you in the morning.

Uggh, the leaving the last port :(....Now the time has come in the review where I become inappropriately sad as I live vicariously through you for the next 90+ days until we sail on the Liberty (same itenerary). Very well, the then, let the downstroke begin...

I have to agree!

It was a ROUGH night. But I awake chipper and ready for our last day. Quick location check….

DSC02290.jpg

Oh my goodness? Is that tiny Half Moon Cay just south between those two larger islands??? Captain Bovo! Turn the ship!!!

DSC02291.jpg

Alas, it was not meant to be. Next time.

Well, we were pretty tired of sun and surf so it was just a walk around and chill out day to “rest up” for our 3:30 Martini Class at Alchemy! Adri was so kind as to give us a reminder card AND called the room twice to remind us. Like I was going to miss an Adri-led Martini Class!

DSC02517.jpg

Cameron had let us know there was to be a watch sale on board around 1:30 and would like a watch. “They’ll be really cheap!” Little did we know….

Well, I had no idea watch shopping was an “event” on a cruise ship. Derrell and I strolled by the shop and saw people lined up, practically out the door.

DSC02309.jpg

I went ahead and got in line to hold Cam’s spot. In front of the line are 4 or 5 tables set up with men’s and women’s watches paired with a wallet, cuff links, pen or some other accessory. When 1:30 rolled around, the vendors would let a dozen or so folks in for five minutes to shop. Then the next group and the next group. They made it a party atmosphere. We finally made it in and Cam went crazy looking for the “perfect” (read: cheap) watch.

DSC02312.jpg

The price tags on the boxes ranged between $69 and $89 but the watches were going for $20. To me, it looked like they should be going for $10. Anyway, this was important to Cam and if a $20 watch would bring him joy, I was all for it.

Cam found the watch he wanted, settled up at the register and we were out of the madness. He was quite proud of his bargain! Our watch adventure wasn't quite yet over, though. More later.

Do you know what time it is??? MARTINI CLASS TIME AT ALCHEMY! I had been looking forward to this since waaaaayyyy before the cruise even left port. Remember when I stopped by Alchemy to meet Adri on embarkation day? I may have scared her….

We arrived and each bar seat was set up with three mini-martini glasses, a glass of club soda (to cleanse the palate between tastings) and, what’s that? My very own orange peel?!?! I wonder what we get to do with that!!! (If you’ve been reading earlier Alchemy posts, you know what I’m looking forward to doing with that orange peel. Heh heh heh…..)

DSC02318.jpg

I was glad Derrell, who’s not a big drinker at all, was willing to share this experience with me.

DSC02322.jpg

Remember I wrote that Adri called us twice to remind us of class? One of our classmate’s wives had signed up but decided to stay in the room to rest up as she was performing in the Carnival Legends show that night as a guest singer! Well, that didn’t stop Adri from calling her room….

DSC02319.jpg

All the folks in the class had been fans of Alchemy so we all had developed that doctor/patient relationship with Adri. She knew all our secrets and kept most of them during class! It was a light-hearted, friendly, casual and hilarious class.

Adri started with the history of the martini – how it was named. She also described the technology behind various martini glasses. It was very informative. She would not stay still enough for me to capture a good picture of her!

DSC02323.jpg

There was about to be a mutiny if she didn’t start teaching us to mix drinks so we finally got lessons on shaking. I can’t wait to buy my supplies and practice shaking a good martini!

DSC02325.jpg

There are apparently safety lessons involved with a good shake. Adri was very patient with us.

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

Our first drink was one of my cruise faves…. The chipotle pineapple martini.

DSC02327.jpg

We then got to make a caramel apple martini. Note my shout out to my alma mater, UNC Chapel Hill!

DSC02328.jpg

This was the Curative Peach Cosmopolitan. Who has a lighter, an orange peel and can squeeze like his life depends on it? THIS GUY!

DSC02330.jpg

I enjoyed “flaming” my orange. Can’t wait to try it at home.

Adri told us about the fruit-infused vodkas they had at Alchemy. On the bar was the pineapple- and strawberry-infused vodkas. In the pantry was a raspberry-infused vodka. We got to sample the two latter ones. One would think that raspberry-infused vodka would be good but it was bitter. The strawberry-infused though was heavenly! It was quite smooth.

Well, all that alcohol-soaked fresh fruit can’t stay around forever. So, when appropriate, Adri and team pull out the fruit and replace with fresh. Or, sometimes, they have drunk Martini Class students who are willing to sample the spirit-infused fruit. I had read about this activity so chose to decline sampling. Here’s the video of my classmates….

th_20120406152559.jpg

I recommend you stay clear of the vodka-infused fruit! Shhhhh…. don’t tell your classmates about this so you get cool video and a laugh from watching their reactions!

Cyber-stalker that I am from reading on Cruise Critic, I bragged to everyone about Adri’s national bartender award from Bacardi. She even let us take pictures of her award.

DSC02332.jpg

She gave me grief about telling everyone, but I could tell she enjoyed the praise!

Rewind to embarkation day…. One of my first stops on day one was at Alchemy and Adri was there talking to some folks sitting at the bar. I just had to rave at how excited I was to meet her! I let her know I’ll be coming by frequently as I had read glowing reviews of her online. I also wanted to sample her award-winning drink, the Pink Victoria. I think she was a little worried as I can get a little “scary” when I’m excited. Well, as it turns out, one of the men at the bar with whom she was talking was a Carnival big-wig who was impressed she had such a following! Throughout the week, she realized I wasn’t a stalker, just a drunk, so we got along fine!

Back to class. Sadly, it was wrapping up. Daniel, one of the other bartenders, was making a “custom” drink for one of his fans. The artist at work….

DSC02335.jpg

DSC02336.jpg

And here he is with his muse….

DSC02340.jpg

The Alchemy team is just fantastic.

As the bar was opening for normal business, before things got too busy, I wanted to get a good pic with my new obsession, I mean, friend, Adri. I asked her if she would honor me with a photo and she was so sweet to say yes.

One with Andre’, my “neighbor” back here in Georgia….

DSC02337.jpg

And a picture I’ll treasure for a long time….

DSC02338_1_.jpg

Recommendation: TAKE THE ALCHEMY MARTINI CLASS AND HOPE TO THE CRUISE GODS THAT ADRI IS THERE!

Well, after dinner, I was determined to enjoy some nightlife. I was going to the comedy show and Just Rock afterwards. Well, I stumbled to the comedy show solo which was standing room only and the comedian, frankly, didn’t engage me so I left. There was some time to kill so, where do you go where everybody knows your name? Alchemy!!! It was quite coincidental as my Roll Call buddy, Robyn (17andacruiseaddict), showed up with her mom! I was a drunk mess, but Robyn tells me I was a good drinking buddy! We had a great conversation and I look forward to many more when our paths cross again!

DSC02285.jpg

It's me! It's me! Oh yeah! You are an awesome drinking buddy! I should have been there at alchemy our whole cruise! I wish we could meet up for drinks now :(

Cameron had let us know there was to be a watch sale on board around 1:30 and would like a watch. “They’ll be really cheap!” Little did we know….

Well, I had no idea watch shopping was an “event” on a cruise ship. Derrell and I strolled by the shop and saw people lined up, practically out the door.

DSC02309.jpg

I went ahead and got in line to hold Cam’s spot. In front of the line are 4 or 5 tables set up with men’s and women’s watches paired with a wallet, cuff links, pen or some other accessory. When 1:30 rolled around, the vendors would let a dozen or so folks in for five minutes to shop. Then the next group and the next group. They made it a party atmosphere. We finally made it in and Cam went crazy looking for the “perfect” (read: cheap) watch.

DSC02312.jpg

Haha that's my husband in the straw hat in the first pic, and my uncle in the yellow shirt next to Cam!

DH surprised me with a watch/necklace/earring set that he got for $20, and the watch is cheap, but the starfish necklace and earrings are very nice and worth the $20. The watch is going to end up costing a bit much because I need a new band for it, instead of the stiff leather band it came with.

They were also at the martini class with you, but not the fruit eaters in the video! :D

Haha that's my husband in the straw hat in the first pic, and my uncle in the yellow shirt next to Cam!

DH surprised me with a watch/necklace/earring set that he got for $20, and the watch is cheap, but the starfish necklace and earrings are very nice and worth the $20. The watch is going to end up costing a bit much because I need a new band for it, instead of the stiff leather band it came with.

They were also at the martini class with you, but not the fruit eaters in the video! :D

I get a kick out of others finding people they know in others' pics! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you got a cool gift from the shopping experience. Stay tuned for our "experience" with Cam's watch band. It's a rant.... :eek:

And congrats on your nuptials!!

Loving this review. We're doing this same itinerary in 130 days (but who's counting? :D). Was glad to see you did the Champagne Sailaway in St. Thomas since that's what we are probably doing too. Question on that...I don't snorkel so I'll probably take the Zodiac over to the beach. Were there any facilities on the beach or so we just set our towel on the sand and relax? Thanks in advance.

Oh...and I have Alchemy penciled in on my agenda for every night on the cruise now, and definitely the Martini class! :D

I get a kick out of others finding people they know in others' pics! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you got a cool gift from the shopping experience. Stay tuned for our "experience" with Cam's watch band. It's a rant.... :eek:

And congrats on your nuptials!!

I was hoping I'd see someone I knew!

Uh-oh! (Not that I'm surprised, the quality is a bit iffy)

And thank you :D

Since there is Sprint service here in San Juan, Freddy needs a second to check Facebook….

DSC01800.jpg

haha.. so funny !!! I love the way you wrote this review!! Awesome pictures too!!! Thank you so much for that. !!! I really enjoyed reading and seeing all your super cool photos :D

- Bea

Well...this review has now cost me $130. :D Since you said you were in port w/ another ship, I checked and we are too (Miracle instead of Destiny though) and they get in a couple hours before us. So....based on your review, I went ahead and grabbed us a cabana (said only 3 left...figured I'd better do it now). Interesting that the cabanas at GT are so much less than HMC. The GT ones look much nicer (nicer furniture, actually lock, have dedicated servers) yet GT is almost $100 less than HMC. I know you get snacks at HMC, but not sure it's $100 worth. :D

Well...this review has now cost me $130. :D Since you said you were in port w/ another ship, I checked and we are too (Miracle instead of Destiny though) and they get in a couple hours before us. So....based on your review, I went ahead and grabbed us a cabana (said only 3 left...figured I'd better do it now). Interesting that the cabanas at GT are so much less than HMC. The GT ones look much nicer (nicer furniture, actually lock, have dedicated servers) yet GT is almost $100 less than HMC. I know you get snacks at HMC, but not sure it's $100 worth. :D

I am on the fence with the cabana at GT...Tracey may have pushed me over the edge though! Darn you...

Loving this review. We're doing this same itinerary in 130 days (but who's counting? :D). Was glad to see you did the Champagne Sailaway in St. Thomas since that's what we are probably doing too. Question on that...I don't snorkel so I'll probably take the Zodiac over to the beach. Were there any facilities on the beach or so we just set our towel on the sand and relax? Thanks in advance.

Oh...and I have Alchemy penciled in on my agenda for every night on the cruise now, and definitely the Martini class! :D

Actually, no surprise to me that Tracey would be at the bar, or the martini class for that matter ;)

As the bar was opening for normal business, before things got too busy, I wanted to get a good pic with my new obsession, I mean, friend, Adri. I asked her if she would honor me with a photo and she was so sweet to say yes.

One with Andre’, my “neighbor” back here in Georgia….

DSC02337.jpg

And a picture I’ll treasure for a long time….

DSC02338_1_.jpg

Recommendation: TAKE THE ALCHEMY MARTINI CLASS AND HOPE TO THE CRUISE GODS THAT ADRI IS THERE!

We LOVED the Alchemy Classes! We did the mixology and the martini classes. Just wanted to throw it out there that Adri and Ioana are probably going to another ship later this year. Ioana was telling us that they would most likely be heading to the new 2.0 ships to help with the Alchemy mixologists.

We went to Honeymoon Beach (?) and it appeared to be a "bring your own towel/everything!" I didn't see any amenities or facilities.

DSC01683.jpg

haha.. so funny !!! I love the way you wrote this review!! Awesome pictures too!!! Thank you so much for that. !!! I really enjoyed reading and seeing all your super cool photos :D

- Bea

I LOVE your Allure review! Sailed on the Oasis last year and I'm dying to do the Allure.

Wait Chris...I think you're at GT the same day we are. Wanna split a cabana???

Get the Cabana!!!

We LOVED the Alchemy Classes! We did the mixology and the martini classes. Just wanted to throw it out there that Adri and Ioana are probably going to another ship later this year. Ioana was telling us that they would most likely be heading to the new 2.0 ships to help with the Alchemy mixologists.

BOOOO! well, at least I can cyber-stalk her to another ship and try that ship, too!

Archived