Wheelchair assistance at embarkation

lovey1103

I guess I'm a bit confused ... we just booked a 10 day cruise for November of 2013. The Deposit Confirmation I received from my TA includes the new smoking policy as well as a "Wheelchair Notification"... which states in part "If you require the use of a wheelchair onboard or ashore, you must bring your own, without exception, ship wheelchairs are reserved for emergency use ONLY" .... and then it goes on to address storing the wheelchair in the cabin etc etc etc...... Does this only apply "during" the cruise itself and not during embarkment or disembarkment?

Yes......

During the cruise that has been the case for awhile to bring your own.

Embarkation/Disembarkation there will be chairs available and crew to assist. ;)

Blazerjam, my friend who I have mentioned, needs assistance only during emabarkation because it will be difficult to stand for long periods of time, as we proceed thru the terminal to check in. Now if the lines are resonably short at the time we arrive, she could go on her own just more slowly then most of us stampeding in to board the ship leaving 5 hours later.;). I explained to her the terminal is like a large wherehouse. She can climb stairs, but does better going down then up. She walks around here at home without one. It all has something to do with problems with her feet, and there is no need to load that on everyone here. Anyplace we tender, I don't know that she will go ashore, will take that as it comes.

Cruisefreaks - we are going on the Emerald Princess....

Desert Cruizer -thank you .. my DH has the very same problems and I am thinking he will just need assistance like your friend. It's nice to know if the terminal is jam packed I may be able to get him some assistance. I haven't ruled out buying a "transport chair" in case he needs one during the cruise.

For the past 18 months or so you haven't been able to rely on getting a chair for the entire cruise albeit we have always been able to go to the PSD, sign a waiver and we always got one. However, in December on HAL we ran into the problem of not being able to get one and then in January we were getting conflicting information from Celebrity re the availability .... so we bought one on Amazon for about what the cost of a rental is and airlines fly them for free.:)

there is ANY chance of needing it during the cruise.

I got mine at Costco a few years back, travel wheelchair...about 129.99, insurance covered it for me. Looks closer to 169.99 now but really has been used by many people over the last few years...

It weights about 15 pounds and folds easily.

We are taking it on the CB for my MIL who does walk, but really may not be able to handle all the long hallways....we are also taking her rollater walker....and her cane...

The price of a scooter for just 4 days was ridiculous, but there will be seven of us to share pushing if needed. Also great to have for touring as a back up.

I am pretty sure we will be using it, but it would definitely be hard if it was needed and we didn't have it.

Bernadette

OK, I work in San Francisco at the pier. Here is the procedure we use.

1. when you arrive at the terminal there are reps curbside with radios, they will call for a wheelchair pusher. Generally they are there in 5-7 minutes.

2. the pusher will take you to the "special assistance" check-in area where you will be checked in.

3. the pusher will then take you to a waiting area very close to the check in area where you will wait for a ships crewmember to push you for the rest of the way, generally all the way to your stateroom.

Disembakation:

1. Both ships personnel and shoreside wheelchair pushers will be ON BOARD the ship. when your color is called they will push you to the baggage area and help find you luggage. If you need a porter they will get one for you, then push you to the buses or curbside for pick-up.

NOTE. You will not be able to stay in the chair and wait for your pickup as there are many people needing this service and only a limited number of wheelchairs, so, if you are having someone pick you up be sure to have them in the area close to the time your color is called.

Last year we purchased a "transport chair" for 99.00 for mom. She is 86 and in good health except knees will sometimes get too stiff for much walking, this is when we use it. It folds down small, is VERY easy to push and Very sturdy. We wheel her all over the islands with no problem. If she does not want to use it we don't use it. It really comes in handy though when you need it. Stores right up in front of airplane also. Last month on our cruise her knees were working pretty good. Lucky for me cause I blew my knee and could not walk at all on second to last day of cruise. I had to use her chair from that point home. I was so grateful to have had it! BTW, all princess staff help me so much. My cabin steward fetched ice whenever he could and checked in on me when my group went to dinner. Seriously, that chair is perfect for what you are talking about.

We also have two of these! We had one for my Mom (now deceased), and got another larger one for my husband when he had heel surgery. We have used them on two cruises, one for hubby and one for my MIL. We are now taking the smaller one with us for MIL again on our next cruise. We absolutely love these transport chairs, and keep it in the trunk of the car for my 93 yo Dad, and my MIL.

It's the best $99 x2 we ever spent, and the shipping is included. Got ours at 1800wheelchair.com. Having it with us on the ship (we put it in the box and just check it for free as checked luggage when we fly with them) is fantastic. It's wonderful for transporting her around the ship if there's a long walk, and also in the theater.

I have observed RCCL to run out of wheelchairs at embarkation and debarkation, so we just bring our own now if MIL is traveling with us. No worries that way!

Unless Princess is different than other lines, the procedure is very different in Galveston. When you tell them you need a W/C, they tell you to go through security (which can be a long procedure). Then you go to a rep. and tell them you need a W/C. They then take you to the front of the line to check in (which is helpful but you still don't get a W/C. After this you are told to sit in a certain area and wait. Since they have very few W/C, you may be waiting a while before you get on the ship. They start calling all the numbers way before a W/C arrives and you can get on. I don't know what people do if they are not able to walk very far. It is hard on me to walk that far and wait in line for security. I wish they had a system like some of these other ports apparently have. It would certainly be better.

Question about extra wheelchair. We will be taking a shower chair along for my son. He uses this chair in the shower and it also rolls over the toilet. Do folks who take a chair that may not be needed take it in a box with a luggage tag or wheel it up with a luggage tag or???? The shower chair tends to get some "odd" looks.

How do YOU handle it when you take your "transport chair"?

Thrak I don't know how it is at the Vancouver Cruise Terminal say Canada place, but if we need to go it alone, she told me she could, we just won't rush with everyone else. We both wouldn't want to be sitting around waiting on the WC to go aboard.

Mistchar if this is the case, we will be better off taking our time and not wrrying about the WC

Thrak I don't know how it is at the Vancouver Cruise Terminal say Canada place, but if we need to go it alone, she told me she could, we just won't rush with everyone else. We both wouldn't want to be sitting around waiting on the WC to go aboard.

Mistchar if this is the case, we will be better off taking our time and not wrrying about the WC

Thank you for your input but if I didn't need a W/C, I wouldn't request one. It is difficult for me because of the incline going up to the ship and it is quite a distance. If there were places to sit down on the way, that might be a possibility but since there isn't, I prefer not to collapse on the way to the ship. I hope this didn't sound rude. I don't mean it that way. Just stating the facts.

As a Vancouverite, at Canada Place, I can confirm that the best way to get a chair and a pusher is to find a seat for the person who needs it then find a Princess rep with a walkie-talkie who will call for a porter with a chair. Because you clear US customs at Canada Place before going to Alaska the waits can be a bit longer than the norm....and the seats are few and far between.

Question about extra wheelchair. We will be taking a shower chair along for my son. He uses this chair in the shower and it also rolls over the toilet. Do folks who take a chair that may not be needed take it in a box with a luggage tag or wheel it up with a luggage tag or???? The shower chair tends to get some "odd" looks.

How do YOU handle it when you take your "transport chair"?

Our rule of thumb is if we need the device BEFORE getting into our cabin, then we put a ship's luggage tag on it, but also keep it with us. If we can wait for it, and in your case the shower chair is not needed immediately, then it gets boxed, tagged, and delivered to our cabin.

We keep the ship's luggage tag on her walker and the transport chair throughout the cruise just in case it gets separated from us.

Mistshar's advice about Galveston is very helpful (thank you!), and we will be taking the transport chair out of the box and using it at the pier. There's no way my MIL can go through two lines to get a wheelchair.

Our rule of thumb is if we need the device BEFORE getting into our cabin, then we put a ship's luggage tag on it, but also keep it with us. If we can wait for it, and in your case the shower chair is not needed immediately, then it gets boxed, tagged, and delivered to our cabin.

We keep the ship's luggage tag on her walker and the transport chair throughout the cruise just in case it gets separated from us.

Mistshar's advice about Galveston is very helpful (thank you!), and we will be taking the transport chair out of the box and using it at the pier. There's no way my MIL can go through two lines to get a wheelchair.

Were you able to find a "special" or specific type of box or did you just have to come up with one on your own? I briefly googled for a wheelchair transport box (and variations on that theme) but all I find are devices to attach to a car to transport a wheelchair. I was trying to find a specific type of shipping or packing box that would work for this. Hopefully one with handle holes.

Were you able to find a "special" or specific type of box or did you just have to come up with one on your own? I briefly googled for a wheelchair transport box (and variations on that theme) but all I find are devices to attach to a car to transport a wheelchair. I was trying to find a specific type of shipping or packing box that would work for this. Hopefully one with handle holes.

We kept the box that the $99 transport chair was shipped to us in, and it's great for storing it when not used. We just tape up the top and send it through checked luggage.

The transport chair with small wheels instead of the large side wheelchair wheels, is so easy to use. The back collapses and it folds up to take up a very small amount of space when not being used. We love it.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/product/1860/drive-steel-transport-chair

They also have a larger size that we got for my husband after his foot surgery. It's a little more expensive.

You might try this, and use the links to the vendors:

http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Shipping-Box-for-Wheelchair/dp/B007M4CSPW

Wheelchairs aren't a problem. My son gets them from the VA. He's a disabled veteran classified as more than 100% disabled. (Don't EVEN ask me how that's possible...) He "should" be picking up a new push chair and new shower chair before our cruise. (He has a power chair as well but won't be bringing it on the cruise.) Hopefully they will be ready in time. Of course he'll have to travel from Chico to Palo Alto to pick them up. They won't have the box for them though and I'm kind of hoping to find some packaging so I can box up the shower chair rather than having to roll it in and give it to the stewards to deliver. It's a somewhat personal item to drag around on public display.

Carol, NP I didn't take your comments as rude.:) I wish to make this easiest as possible for my friend and since I have not been in this situation when DH & I cruise, I welcome all suggestions and what possibly is the best way to handle this once at the terminal. I would hate for her to be caught in a situation where she isn't able to sit down and we are in a long line moving slowly. I think about our leaving San Diego once, and if she were with us then, it would have been very hard on her. We were caught up in a switchback line and no place to sit down until we got passed the check point for our Pass Ports, then there were benches on the other side of the railings where people were sitting.

If we make it inside and I see a Rep, I will immediately ask him for a WC.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Cruisefreaks - we are going on the Emerald Princess....

Desert Cruizer -thank you .. my DH has the very same problems and I am thinking he will just need assistance like your friend. It's nice to know if the terminal is jam packed I may be able to get him some assistance. I haven't ruled out buying a "transport chair" in case he needs one during the cruise.

Your welcome.

Carol, NP I didn't take your comments as rude.:) I wish to make this easiest as possible for my friend and since I have not been in this situation when DH & I cruise, I welcome all suggestions and what possibly is the best way to handle this once at the terminal. I would hate for her to be caught in a situation where she isn't able to sit down and we are in a long line moving slowly. I think about our leaving San Diego once, and if she were with us then, it would have been very hard on her. We were caught up in a switchback line and no place to sit down until we got passed the check point for our Pass Ports, then there were benches on the other side of the railings where people were sitting.

If we make it inside and I see a Rep, I will immediately ask him for a WC.

Gay

Thank you for your comments. I hope everything works out great for you and your friend. Have a wonderful cruise!

Unless Princess is different than other lines, the procedure is very different in Galveston. When you tell them you need a W/C, they tell you to go through security (which can be a long procedure). Then you go to a rep. and tell them you need a W/C. They then take you to the front of the line to check in (which is helpful but you still don't get a W/C. After this you are told to sit in a certain area and wait. Since they have very few W/C, you may be waiting a while before you get on the ship. They start calling all the numbers way before a W/C arrives and you can get on. I don't know what people do if they are not able to walk very far. It is hard on me to walk that far and wait in line for security. I wish they had a system like some of these other ports apparently have. It would certainly be better.

You bring up an excellent and essential point! Every port in the world has a different policy.

That is why I say if there is any chance at all that you will need a chair, BRING IT WITH YOU!! :)

Carol, this will be a ladies weekt cruise, while our DH's babysit our kitties and puppies. I am happy to have her join me and experience her first cruise, a 7 day Coastal from Vancouver.:).

Gay

She must be so excited. I remember our first cruise and how excited we were. It hasn't changed much. We are still excited when we have a cruise planned. I hope she loves it and has a wonderful time.

She is very excited, when she learned I was going and at the time, solo, she asked if she could be my roomate. I told her what the cruise was costing and was concerned on whether she could afford her half, since she had gone on disability. She assured me she could. Whether she went of not I would be still paying for the total cruise, but now she is paying her half including hotel and air. I have gone over the precedure of boarding and will let her take in how beautiful these ships are. Her husband has cruised before with his previous wife and my friend has been talking about wanting to cruise, so this will be a nice way for her to join me.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

OK, I work in San Francisco at the pier. Here is the procedure we use.

1. when you arrive at the terminal there are reps curbside with radios, they will call for a wheelchair pusher. Generally they are there in 5-7 minutes.

2. the pusher will take you to the "special assistance" check-in area where you will be checked in.

3. the pusher will then take you to a waiting area very close to the check in area where you will wait for a ships crewmember to push you for the rest of the way, generally all the way to your stateroom.

Disembakation:

1. Both ships personnel and shoreside wheelchair pushers will be ON BOARD the ship. when your color is called they will push you to the baggage area and help find you luggage. If you need a porter they will get one for you, then push you to the buses or curbside for pick-up.

NOTE. You will not be able to stay in the chair and wait for your pickup as there are many people needing this service and only a limited number of wheelchairs, so, if you are having someone pick you up be sure to have them in the area close to the time your color is called.

DARN;) As a wheelchair pusher, who has worked with Ed. (Aaerobear) I can only say he beat me to the punch. And I so wanted to get credit for ano:)ther post