No visa required for India if staying on board :)

The story with visas is a very difficult call since some countries change their requirements every now and then or like the US TSA agents have ones that make up the rules as they go. That is why often the lines will decide to deny you boarding just in case they hit one of those and who could cancel their stop entirely because one or a handful of passengers don't have the required visa.

What I don't understand why would you spend thousands of Dollars on a cruise to interesting places only to not go there because of the few hundred dollars for the visa? Why risk the entire cruise since the lines have in their fine print that they may deny you embarkation or disembark you early if you don't have the required visa?

Hi Moeve :) We had no idea where we wanted to cruise to as my mum is elderly and cannot walk distances or uneven ground etc. She will be taking her walker with her. The TA suggested this cruise. As first time cruisers we have/had no idea what was involved. We looked into Goa and Cochin and all excursions from ship are all "active" and require walking distances and on uneven ground, so the Ta said dont get off and stay on board. Also said if we didnt have to bother with visas because we werent getting off plus it would save us $300.

We would never have known about needing the visas if it werent for this forum! then we started making enquiries and called RC who confirmed we didnt need a visa....etc

We also have not received any paper work or documents from our TA only a receipt to say our trip is paid for and just a link to RC check in so havent seen the fine print anywhere:confused:

We had some Aussies on our trip to Asia who not read the part about needing a visa for China. They had to stay onboard for our stop in Shanghai and they had to get off in Seoul and fly home 3 days before the end of our cruise in China because the authorities would not let them back in to fly home as planned.

I would get a new TA for one. Who would suggest doing a cruise where the excursions are simple not suited to you or your companion?! Make sure you have that about not needing a visa in writing before you get passed your cancellation period (I know you would already loose your deposit now). Get it in writing from RCCL before canelling the trip or getting a visa gets hugely costly or next to impossible.

Edited by Moeve

We had some Aussies on our trip to Asia who not read the part about needing a visa for China. They had to stay onboard for our stop in Shanghai and they had to get off in Seoul and fly home 3 days before the end of our cruise in China because the authorities would not let them back in to fly home as planned.

I would get a new TA for one. Who would suggest doing a cruise where the excursions are simple not suited to you or your companion?! Make sure you have that about not needing a visa in writing before you get passed your cancellation period (I know you would already loose your deposit now). Get it in writing from RCCL before canelling the trip or getting a visa gets hugely costly or next to impossible.

My rule of thumb is: when you are dealing with incredibly bureaucratic countries (China, India, Russia, Central Asia, parts of Africa), most Westerners will probably need a visa.

So we have an update....we have applied for our visas and just waiting for them to come back.

I did receive an email from the same person I spoke with on the phone confirming those who do not have a visa for India will remain on board the ship.......

"Sorry for the delay in responding to your email. I have copied the

information we have received regarding Indian Visa's below. As it states if

passengers do not have the correct visa they will be required to stay

onboard. So if you choose to not obtain a visa you will not be allowed off

the ship.

As you know, you are scheduled to visit India during your sailing.

The government of India requires that citizens of most countries have a

visa to enter the country.

Indian immigration authorities will not allow entry without a valid

visa.

Therefore, guests that have not secured proper visas will be required to

stay onboard during the ship’s port call to India.

Indian authorities also require three photocopies of your passport -

please bring these with you.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards"

:) Hi everyone, My TA told us back in february we wouldnt need visas if staying on board in India. We are travelling Dubai to singapore on May 15th. On another thread we were told we would need visas regardless or we will be deined boarding :eek: So I called RC in Australia and spoke with Amy and she said: "If you are travelling to India and remaining on board the ship you do not need a visa and will not be denied boarding at Dubai Amy said they had just received an email stating that.:)

That reduces our stress level by 100 lol and saves us $300!

And does that mean my TA is psychic :eek: lol

Hi Cruiser,

We will be on this cruise with you. We went to the Indian office here in Melbourne, spent 15 minutes Thursday morning applying for the visas and the following Wednesday spent another 15 minutes picking them up. We got our photos taken there as well so knew they would be OK.

I was expecting the process to be a nightmare after reading all the horror stories on these boards, but the forms were quite easy to fill out and I found the whole process pretty painless....but can understand that if you are not leaving the ship, then this would be annoying, but at least you know you are able to board the ship.

Have you checked out the following board?

Lots of interesting discussions here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1443006

Regards

Robyn

• 2 years later...
:) Hi everyone, My TA told us back in february we wouldnt need visas if staying on board in India. We are travelling Dubai to singapore on May 15th. On another thread we were told we would need visas regardless or we will be deined boarding :eek: So I called RC in Australia and spoke with Amy and she said: "If you are travelling to India and remaining on board the ship you do not need a visa and will not be denied boarding at Dubai Amy said they had just received an email stating that.:)

you definitely need an indian visa if you are a uk citizen even if you are staying onboard I have this in writing from cunard. I will never pay for a indian visa for the sake of one day staying onboard. just avoid the country and spend your money elsewhere

Edited by towrope

you do need an indian visa if you are a uk citizen even if you are staying onboard, which is crazy when you consider the cost and and time it takes to get one

Original thread is dated 2012.

Having said that it has taken me nearly that long to obtain a visa for India for a cruise later this year..... well not years..... but weeks for sure.... I feel as if I put on years in the process.... interesting to see I replied to the OP all those years ago....

Edited by NorbertsNiece