Spb night tour

Hi,

We are doing the two day SPB tour in St Petersburg and have also booked for the Night Fun Tour. Many from our group are worried that by the time we return from the day trip we won't have enough time or energy to enjoy the night tour. Some even say we won't even get time to eat! Has anyone done both tours together and how have they found it? Your advise would be very much appreciated.:confused:

We returned to our ship from a private tour on the first day at approx 5:00pm..I can say I was tired and would not have wanted to go back out for the evening..also knowing we had to be up early the next day to meet with our guide at 8:30am...Our ship had a Russian folk dancing group on approx 6:00pm and it was nice to enjoy their show..have dinner and get to bed early..Some tours don't even bring you back to the ship due to time and logistics but instead your day guide will hand you off to the evening guide...

We returned to our ship from a private tour on the first day at approx 5:00pm..I can say I was tired and would not have wanted to go back out for the evening..also knowing we had to be up early the next day to meet with our guide at 8:30am...Our ship had a Russian folk dancing group on approx 6:00pm and it was nice to enjoy their show..have dinner and get to bed early..Some tours don't even bring you back to the ship due to time and logistics but instead your day guide will hand you off to the evening guide...

Thanks for that. Appreciate the info.Some people say you may not even get back until 6pm and I believe the night tour starts at 7pm. It is hard to know what to do as being on the canal at night seems like it would be lovely.

You will have the energy, like getting a "second wind"! Believe me, you will be so glad you did this tour. You will also have time to eat. When you go to the dining room, inform your waiter that you have the night tour. He will get you out of there on time. You might have to skip a couple of courses, but you will have time to eat your entree and dessert. All I can say is they call it the "Fun Tour" for a reason. You have to go with it. It was one of the highlights of the cruise for us. Try to get a group together from your roll call.

Hi,

We are doing the two day SPB tour in St Petersburg and have also booked for the Night Fun Tour. Many from our group are worried that by the time we return from the day trip we won't have enough time or energy to enjoy the night tour. Some even say we won't even get time to eat! Has anyone done both tours together and how have they found it? Your advise would be very much appreciated.:confused:

Agree with got2cruise--You will find your second wind.On our first visit to St Petersburg we took in the Ballet and on our second visit we did the folk show.Both after a full day of touring and another full day scheduled for the next day.No problem with making dinner.We are so glad we did the night shows.FYI--we are very,very senior citizens.

You will enjoy St Petersburg

Thanks for that-seems like I may manage after all.

Hello - we are also doing the 2-day tour and evening fun tour with SPB Tours just like what you have booked. Although we haven't yet done this, our attitude is that you need to make the most of the time you have when you're somewhere you may never visit again. You'll have plenty of time to sleep when you get back home. rotfl.gif

I agree with you that the canal tour in the evening should be very nice and that was our main deciding factor to do the evening tour - along with experiencing SPB's "White Nights" on the return to the ship. Also, I asked Vika about the folklore entertainment that is part of the evening tour and she said it would last 30-40 minutes while we're on the boat. So, we feel we'll get a nice taste of Russian culture while also enjoying the canal vistas.

I'm also not sure when you are going, what cruise ship you are on and which direction you are sailing. If you are going counter-clockwise (i.e., Tallinn before SPB) as we are, then it will only be your 2nd port from Copenhagen and shouldn't be too worn out as yet. If you're going the other way and have a day at sea before hand, I'd just get a little extra rest then so you'll more likely get that "second wind" others are talking about.

Let us know when you're going to be in SPB and then share your experience by adding a post to this board. We'll be doing the same. Thanks.

You will have the energy, like getting a "second wind"! Believe me, you will be so glad you did this tour. You will also have time to eat. When you go to the dining room, inform your waiter that you have the night tour. He will get you out of there on time. You might have to skip a couple of courses, but you will have time to eat your entree and dessert. All I can say is they call it the "Fun Tour" for a reason. You have to go with it. It was one of the highlights of the cruise for us. Try to get a group together from your roll call.

G2C - thanks for sharing your experience and the tip to let your waiter know you have an evening event. We were thinking about just doing informal dining that night, so this now gives us another option to consider. I think you summed it up best by saying "they call it a Fun Tour for a reason" - and that's what we fully expect.

Also, another couple from our ship that decided to join us that night is celebrating their 35th anniversary and said Vika is planning something extra to celebrate their special day. Plus, it's my wife's birthday so it should be something memorable for her as well.

G2C - thanks for sharing your experience and the tip to let your waiter know you have an evening event. We were thinking about just doing informal dining that night, so this now gives us another option to consider. I think you summed it up best by saying "they call it a Fun Tour for a reason" - and that's what we fully expect.

Also, another couple from our ship that decided to join us that night is celebrating their 35th anniversary and said Vika is planning something extra to celebrate their special day. Plus, it's my wife's birthday so it should be something memorable for her as well.

Thanks again for all the advise. Will let you know how we get on. We sail 27 June on a 9 day trip on the Norwegian Sun. Will do as you say and eat informally and as we have a sea day prior will not have too late a night if it can be helped!

Agree with got2cruise--You will find your second wind.On our first visit to St Petersburg we took in the Ballet and on our second visit we did the folk show.Both after a full day of touring and another full day scheduled for the next day.No problem with making dinner.We are so glad we did the night shows.FYI--we are very,very senior citizens.

You will enjoy St Petersburg

I am so glad, that senior citizens has commented on the tour at night. We are a family of 5 on this cruise. My Mom who is 80 is so excited about doing everything on this cruise...and she wants to go on the night "fun" cruise with the rest of us. I worry that she may be too tired after touring St. Petersburg.

Thanks, Carol

I am so glad, that senior citizens has commented on the tour at night. We are a family of 5 on this cruise. My Mom who is 80 is so excited about doing everything on this cruise...and she wants to go on the night "fun" cruise with the rest of us. I worry that she may be too tired after touring St. Petersburg.

Thanks, Carol

Well if your mum is up to it then that has convinced me surely a middle aged couch potato can do this!

Sorry I am a little late to the party on this one...

Our first Baltic cruise, we did a Ballet excursion on the night between...Theater was hot and stuffy and I diodn't enjoy it (though, my wife and daughters, into ballet, did...)

This last Baltic, I originally intended to just go back to the ship and relax...but someone talked me into the SPB Fun Tour...and I am HAPPY they did!! I really enjoyed the canal boat ride and seeing another side of St. Petersburg...We just used the buffet that night...I've had lots of ship dinners, but the night tour is an experience you don't duplicate often...You've made a good choice...

Thanks for that. Appreciate the info.Some people say you may not even get back until 6pm and I believe the night tour starts at 7pm. It is hard to know what to do as being on the canal at night seems like it would be lovely.

We are on your same cruise but the one right before, the June 18 NCL Sun sailing.

One thing to think about is that the "evening canal cruise" won't really feel like an evening cruise. The sun will be shining like it is mid day. It is a strange feeling. We were there in late May, 12 years ago, and came out of a ballet at 11:00PM to bright sunlight. I thought about this fact but we are still doing the canal cruise anyway because it sounds like fun. We are using TJ Travel. We aren't going to go back to the ship at all. I don't want to "stop the flow" of the day but again, we have kids and it is better to just stay out with them. Just something to consider. I didn't find much of a price different to just stay the whole day.

We are on your same cruise but the one right before, the June 18 NCL Sun sailing.

One thing to think about is that the "evening canal cruise" won't really feel like an evening cruise. The sun will be shining like it is mid day. It is a strange feeling. We were there in late May, 12 years ago, and came out of a ballet at 11:00PM to bright sunlight. I thought about this fact but we are still doing the canal cruise anyway because it sounds like fun. We are using TJ Travel. We aren't going to go back to the ship at all. I don't want to "stop the flow" of the day but again, we have kids and it is better to just stay out with them. Just something to consider. I didn't find much of a price different to just stay the whole day.

Thanks for the info.

So tell me what do you do after the day trip and before the night tour? We have a two day tour booked with SPB-come home to freshen up and eat and out again at 7ish. They are two different tours though but same company? Had no idea it would be daylight so late.

Thanks for the info.

So tell me what do you do after the day trip and before the night tour? We have a two day tour booked with SPB-come home to freshen up and eat and out again at 7ish. They are two different tours though but same company? Had no idea it would be daylight so late.

On June 30, sunrise is 4:41 am and sunset is 11:23 pm, per timeanddate.com...that's 18 hours and 42 minutes. have fun.

We used TJ Travel (great choice) and my understanding also was if we opted to do a night tour we would have been handed over to another guide for the evening and not returned to the ship in between the two tours..Enjoy !

I copied and pasted our itinerary below. TJ has been so patient with me and it has been tweaked a bunch of times to get it just right. Maybe it can be helpful to others.

We are doing orphanage visits in between. Three of my kids were adopted from St. Pete so we are going to their baby house and another one on the 2nd day. This may be an option for anyone but I don't know for sure. If you want a very moving experience, you may want to ask about this. We are going to also see if we can get a list of groceries they may need and shop for these items (I did this once before.) The baby orphanages (ages 0 to 4) have a very rigid schedule but their play time is from about 4:30 to 6:00, so that is what we are doing until the canal ride. Again, the baby houses can be very strict in letting in visitors but there are SO many orphanages in St. Petersburg so you tour company may know one that will allow visitors. They may have that "special connection" with someone they know. Playing with these beautiful children, even for just a short time, will change the way you see the world. It did for me.

About the daylight - If you have a cabin with a window on a Baltic cruise, I would get one of those eye mask. We have an interior cabin for this reason. It never really gets dark at all, only dusk, then the sun rises again.

Day 1

9:00 meeting with your guide near the ship

9:00-10.00 city orientation drive

10.00-10.30 hydrofoil to Petergof

10.30-12.00 guided tour the Lower Fountain park

12.00 - 14.00 - tour of Peterhof Palace

14-14.30 - hydrofoil back to St. Petersburg

14.30 - 16:00 - late lunch

16.30 – 18.00 visit to orphanage

18.30 - the public boat ride in English is at 7pm, so we can plan it at this time - 7-8pm and you will be back to the ship at around 9

21.00 - return to ship after boat ride on canal

Day 2

9.00 meeting with your guide. Metro ride, Farmers' market visit

10.00-11.00 guided tour of the Spilt Blood church

11.30-14.00 Mariinsky theatre Vaganova Graduation perforamce - Girls with mom

11.30 - 14.00 Artillery Museum (downt he street from theater)- boys with dad

14.00-15.00 - lunch

15.00-16.00 - St Issac's Catherdal

16.30-17.30 a visit to orphanage

18.00 return to the ship.

I copied and pasted our itinerary below. TJ has been so patient with me and it has been tweaked a bunch of times to get it just right. Maybe it can be helpful to others.

We are doing orphanage visits in between. Three of my kids were adopted from St. Pete so we are going to their baby house and another one on the 2nd day. This may be an option for anyone but I don't know for sure. If you want a very moving experience, you may want to ask about this. We are going to also see if we can get a list of groceries they may need and shop for these items (I did this once before.) The baby orphanages (ages 0 to 4) have a very rigid schedule but their play time is from about 4:30 to 6:00, so that is what we are doing until the canal ride. Again, the baby houses can be very strict in letting in visitors but there are SO many orphanages in St. Petersburg so you tour company may know one that will allow visitors. They may have that "special connection" with someone they know. Playing with these beautiful children, even for just a short time, will change the way you see the world. It did for me.

About the daylight - If you have a cabin with a window on a Baltic cruise, I would get one of those eye mask. We have an interior cabin for this reason. It never really gets dark at all, only dusk, then the sun rises again.

Day 1

9:00 meeting with your guide near the ship

9:00-10.00 city orientation drive

10.00-10.30 hydrofoil to Petergof

10.30-12.00 guided tour the Lower Fountain park

12.00 - 14.00 - tour of Peterhof Palace

14-14.30 - hydrofoil back to St. Petersburg

14.30 - 16:00 - late lunch

16.30 – 18.00 visit to orphanage

18.30 - the public boat ride in English is at 7pm, so we can plan it at this time - 7-8pm and you will be back to the ship at around 9

21.00 - return to ship after boat ride on canal

Day 2

9.00 meeting with your guide. Metro ride, Farmers' market visit

10.00-11.00 guided tour of the Spilt Blood church

11.30-14.00 Mariinsky theatre Vaganova Graduation perforamce - Girls with mom

11.30 - 14.00 Artillery Museum (downt he street from theater)- boys with dad

14.00-15.00 - lunch

15.00-16.00 - St Issac's Catherdal

16.30-17.30 a visit to orphanage

18.00 return to the ship.

Sounds very moving and wonderful your children get the opportunity to see where they came from. Thanks for the tip about the eye mask!

Archived