Inviting Crew Member to Cabin?

Hulagirl

While we have had staff members join us in our suite to view previously taken group photographs on the computer screen, the prerequisite was and we are sure will be that he/she will be accompanied by a fellow staff member. The understanding is that should the visit be approved, no matter the circumstances, a witness will be present. Logical and in today's world wise.

Desiro: We met him on the Ruby at Christmas in 2009. Such a fun person to talk to. His finance is the nicest also.

There would be the two of them and she is management. Totally understand any liability issues for him or her. This way everyone is covered, plus we could have a nice talk.

Has anyone ever gotten authorization to invite a crew member to your cabin? We know the wine steward in Vines and would like to invite him and his fiance to our cabin for a glass of wine after their work time. Went to the Purser's desk and talked to a very unhelpful person who supposedly called the Food and Beverage person, but we are pretty sure he didn't call him. It was such a quick phone call that it just seemed odd. Anyway, he said no it wasn't something that could be done.

So has anyone been able to do this? Any info would be helpful.

I've been told crew members are not allowed to fraternize and/or allow in passenger areas when they are not working. They can be immediately terminated. I read several years ago that a women was sexually assaulted by a waiter on the Island Princess in 2010. So you can see why the cruise line discourage any type of social interaction with passengers in their off time whether or you are friends with them or not. The cruise line can NOT verify your relationship as either being just good friends or a sexual encounter no matter how good your intention might be. If you want to read something terrifying just Google "Cruise ship Sexual Assaults" for a listing and you'll see why cruise line discourage any type of passenger/crew interaction.

Once on the Regal Princess we invited the Staff Captain to join us for dinner in the MDR. Much to our surprise he accepted and joined us:). It did cause some strange looks in the MDR.

On previous P&O cruises we have had the privilege of having the regular Captain join us but I think that is more of a tradition on the British ships. We were actually called in our cabin and informed that the Captain would be joining us for dinner.

At no time have we invited crew to our cabin but now wonder just how that would work. As others have said, I don't think that would be a common thing?

Looking at your earlier cruises, with the Matson line. It brought back memories when I was 8 years old. I was aboard the Matsona, the sister ship to the Lurline.

Princess company policy is no crew/officer is allowed to be in passengers' cabins unless for official work purposes. But they can get the permission from the head of Department, with this case First Purser F&B, and PSD. Or they will be terminated if they are caught by the security. I'm sure you don't want them to sneak in your cabin, so why don't you talk with PSD?

YES, we do. We had a housekeeper that came three days a week. When she came at 7:30 am, we all had a cup of coffee and talked for 15 minutes. At 9am, she joined us for a bagel and coffee. At noon she joined us for lunch, which I usually made. And of course there was an afternoon break. Several times a week she even stayed around for a cocktail with us. She was a super woman and we treated her as part of our family. When we have workers at the house - I always fix snacks in the morning and afternoon and usually grill something for lunch for them. Also keep a cooler outside full of drinks and little snacks. Last summer we had a roofing crew, builders and a landscaping crew working one week. I cooked all day everyday for those guys and some even stayed around for a beer at the end of the day. I had fun experimenting with new recipes for them to try.

We treat everyone as equals and have run into crew members in bars on different islands. We always buy them a drink. We enjoy talking to them and hearing about their families. Many times they are more iinteresting than some of the passengers that just want to brag about all the places they have been.

That is so very cool!!! I'm sure people fight over coming to work at your house! We had a young couple stop by our home after a snowstorm last year and asked if they could shovel the driveway. They charged $50 but our driveway is so big my husband paid them $75 when all was said and done. I also made them hot chocolate in the middle of it. They really appreciated it!! N

Princess company policy is no crew/officer is allowed to be in passengers' cabins unless for official work purposes. But they can get the permission from the head of Department, with this case First Purser F&B, and PSD. Or they will be terminated if they are caught by the security. I'm sure you don't want them to sneak in your cabin, so why don't you talk with PSD?

That would be spot on. ;)

That is so very cool!!! I'm sure people fight over coming to work at your house! We had a young couple stop by our home after a snowstorm last year and asked if they could shovel the driveway. They charged $50 but our driveway is so big my husband paid them $75 when all was said and done. I also made them hot chocolate in the middle of it. They really appreciated it!! N

Thanks

You sound alot like us. The landscaping crews where here alot last summer and most do not speak English. I wish I had a picture of several of their faces when I brought out my version of eggmcmuffins after they were here a couple hours. I volunteer at out local library and have seen a couple of them come in to pick up their kids - so neat when they recognize me and have a big smile on their faces. Never have a problem with their kids!

Looking at your earlier cruises, with the Matson line. It brought back memories when I was 8 years old. I was aboard the Matsona, the sister ship to the Lurline.

Don't forget the Monterey, another sister ship:) I will never forget my Dad running down the pier in SF as he had gone to park the car and missed the sailing time. In those days, they were able to put him aboard the pilot boat and brought him out to the ship.

That's why I try and book a cabin adjacent to, or across from a

stairwell. And, give my waiter friend a semi-legitimate reason

to need to come to my cabin.

(I'm not going to post the subterfuge here, as why risk a good thing?)

We know the rules and the problems that have arisen on other ships. This is not the issue here and not was asking about. What I needed to know was if anyone had gotten authorization to be able to do this. There is a grey line here that if done correctly, things can be done. Just have to go about it the right way.

Yes, this couple wants to come to our cabin, so that is also not an issue here. Like Compozer, we treat people as equals too. Over the years we have become very good friends with some of the staff and officers on the ships. We e-mail and also Facebook. Again, this is not the issue. On the Tahitian Princess in 2006 we were invited to Emilio Mazzi's cabin by his wife and himself. It was done then, and we knew they had to get authorization through Princess Headquarters to invite us to their cabin, but it was done. Had a wonderful time with them then.

So today we went to the Most Traveled Luncheon. Well, it was almost like it was meant to be because the Food and Beverage Manager was at our table. I talked to him afterwards to ask about this and like he said, he has absolutely no problem with it. Since we are inviting both people it would be fine. He is also going to speak to the General Hotel Manager too and then call me later. But he felt there would be no problem. So I will wait for the call.

Truly, we have cruised with Princess many, many times and do know the rules. Thus, this is why we sought out authorization for this and knew we needed to. Please don't tell me the rules as I do know them. Wasn't born yesterday!

Hello Hulagirl, hope it all worked out and they get or got to visit you in your suite. What a treat. Did not mean to offend you if I did, I value your opinion always. If we meet crew we will always ask, all that can happen is they can't. It is nice to be able to share.

Hello Hulagirl, hope it all worked out and they get or got to visit you in your suite. What a treat. Did not mean to offend you if I did, I value your opinion always. If we meet crew we will always ask, all that can happen is they can't. It is nice to be able to share.

No you did not offend at all. Your response was very appreciated.

Also I want to thank everyone else who gave positive and helpful responses. It helped me figure out who to contact.

YES, we do. We had a housekeeper that came three days a week. When she came at 7:30 am, we all had a cup of coffee and talked for 15 minutes. At 9am, she joined us for a bagel and coffee. At noon she joined us for lunch, which I usually made. And of course there was an afternoon break. Several times a week she even stayed around for a cocktail with us. She was a super woman and we treated her as part of our family. When we have workers at the house - I always fix snacks in the morning and afternoon and usually grill something for lunch for them. Also keep a cooler outside full of drinks and little snacks. Last summer we had a roofing crew, builders and a landscaping crew working one week. I cooked all day everyday for those guys and some even stayed around for a beer at the end of the day. I had fun experimenting with new recipes for them to try.

We treat everyone as equals and have run into crew members in bars on different islands. We always buy them a drink. We enjoy talking to them and hearing about their families. Many times they are more iinteresting than some of the passengers that just want to brag about all the places they have been.

I like the way you think. More people should take lesson in being generous. Yours actions make them feel special and go along way in helping your own self-esteem. I'm thankful for what Ive got and if I can share it I will.

Oooh, good to know I had the right people! Have to admit it was an educated guess :)

We know the rules and the problems that have arisen on other ships. This is not the issue here and not was asking about. What I needed to know was if anyone had gotten authorization to be able to do this. There is a grey line here that if done correctly, things can be done. Just have to go about it the right way.

Yes, this couple wants to come to our cabin, so that is also not an issue here. Like Compozer, we treat people as equals too. Over the years we have become very good friends with some of the staff and officers on the ships. We e-mail and also Facebook. Again, this is not the issue. On the Tahitian Princess in 2006 we were invited to Emilio Mazzi's cabin by his wife and himself. It was done then, and we knew they had to get authorization through Princess Headquarters to invite us to their cabin, but it was done. Had a wonderful time with them then.

So today we went to the Most Traveled Luncheon. Well, it was almost like it was meant to be because the Food and Beverage Manager was at our table. I talked to him afterwards to ask about this and like he said, he has absolutely no problem with it. Since we are inviting both people it would be fine. He is also going to speak to the General Hotel Manager too and then call me later. But he felt there would be no problem. So I will wait for the call.

Truly, we have cruised with Princess many, many times and do know the rules. Thus, this is why we sought out authorization for this and knew we needed to. Please don't tell me the rules as I do know them. Wasn't born yesterday!

do they even want to be invited? Are they aware that you are even asking the Purser this question? Do you..the OP..think that by making inquiries that you may be getting them in trouble?

Yes, they do want to come to our cabin for drinks and just talk. He told us we need the authorization for this and no I would never want to get them in trouble. We really like these people so would never want to make it a problem for them. This was not going to be a surprise or anything off the wall, just like having a friend over for a drink.

A few years back, we had a suite cabin, invited the chef, an assistant, plus the ship hostess, future booking staff, and a couple of folks from security to our cabin. Never checked with anyone. We had cocktails, the chef even brought some goodies, we had a great time. Never thought about asking anyones permission.

A few years back, we had a suite cabin, invited the chef, an assistant, plus the ship hostess, future booking staff, and a couple of folks from security to our cabin. Never checked with anyone. We had cocktails, the chef even brought some goodies, we had a great time. Never thought about asking anyones permission.

Would be interested in knowing what cruise line that was.

Hulagirl,

So glad to hear you were able to get authorization to invite your friends to your cabin. What great luck that you were seated at the exact table with the one you needed to talk to. Looks like it was meant to be. Sounds like the F&B manager was very receptive as well. Just goes to show that these things can be done, if they're gone about in the correct way and through proper channels.

We had a nice time on our HAL cruise. Loved Costa Maya. I had mixed feelings about it after visiting Roatan (not a fan of the cruise line created ports) but we got out of the fake port area and visited Majahual, which was very authentic and charming. Reminded us both of Cozumel many years ago. Will email you soon.

Would a crew member really think it was a big deal to be invited for a glass of wine and make small talk.:confused: It could just feel like more work to some of them.

Every staff member I know is always honored when invited for drinks. When our son was acting music director on a couple Princess ships, it was a real treat. For one thing, after seeing the same people (co-workers) every day, much as you may like them, it's such a treat to interact with other people.

OMG - U got it licked. U will B having your photo taken with the Captain. Git him alone at the Most Traveled Pax Luncheon (look for a propitious time) and 'splain it to him. Mention that U have taken the Grand Suite.

not sure what this means.....i still would not put the steward in the awkward position of having to explain the terms of his employment...if you want to ask the captain, sure why not but i would not advertise if a change of policy was made in a single case or exeptions would end sooner rather than later...the whole crew/passenger cabin thing makes my skin crawl as a fear for both, even the simplest misunderstanding or mention could mean ----- for someone, the authorizer, the steward, the passengers etc on and on.....and rumours travel like wildfire on a ship and in any business setting.

Archived