Shopping prices in ports

NoobCruise

I'm curious what peoples experiences are in various ports with shopping and negotiating prices? We're looking into a caribbean cruise but haven't decided whether to do eastern, southern or western. In the foreign ports, do you find when coming off the cruise ships that prices are fixed or can you negotiate a lower price?

I ask because we stayed at an AI in Cozumel a few years go and found that prices were very different depending on which day you went to town and how many cruise ships were in port. The resort told us to stay away from shopping on certain days because more cruise ships would be in town and prices would be higher. They stressed to us to be sure we told the shop keepers we were staying on the island at the AI to get the lower prices. We did go in to town on a cruise ship day and found they would tell us one price but when we showed them our wrist bands from the AI, they would immediately smile and lower the price.

Does this happen in most cruise ports?

I do a "lot" of shopping in the eastern caribbean..St Maarten & St Thomas..the key word is "negotiate"..and be prepared to walk away :D

Only thing I have ever bought on an island was beer, and I have never been able to negotiate a better price.;)

Also, never been able to walk away.

Only thing I have ever bought on an island was beer, and I have never been able to negotiate a better price.;)

Also, never been able to walk away.

lol now there's the one item that price REALLY depends on where you go. Anything within the first few block near a cruise ship is going to be high, close to US prices (at least in Mexico). Get a few blocks into town and they drop big time, like only pay a buck or $2 for a shot or a margarita lol It pays to walk a little bit and skip the big name places like Senior Frogs lol

yeah, we noticed even when they dropped the price, it wasn't much of a deal and not much special about the goods. Not like when I was a teen in the 80s. We'd drive down to Baja and get great outfits for a couple of bucks.

Years ago a trip to St. Thomas would result in the return with one or two Seiko watches at the least. Bargains on gold and other jewelry made the day spent shopping fun for my wife and I.

Now with merchants like Kohls and others having a seeming constant sale and coupons even the prices on the ship are no better than here at home in Texas.

The same applies to electronics and cameras. Best Buy (although they are failing) and online vendors with good reputations for returns are a better bargain for up front price and service after the sale.

I also agree with the suggestions to negotiate. How many times do you hear the merchant ask you "you come here on the ship?" to gather that you came with real tourist spending money. Is it really their business if I came on a ship or the redneck Martians dropped me and Dewaye here after kidnapping us from a fishing shack in the Ozarks? (I know, but a long week of business travel has me brain fried)

On a recent RCCL trip I printed off prices from online vendors and went to the shops aboard the ship on a lazy afternoon at sea and they met me in the middle for pricing on a watch.

See you at sea.

On any major items have an idea what the the pricing is at home. I was looking for a certain model camera and found I could get it cheaper here at home. On the other hand I wanted a Citizen Blue Angel Skyhawk watch and found one in St Marteen for $50 less than the best price at home. Be a careful shopper.

Let the buyer beware - other than saving on tax, with very few exceptions there's not much you can buy in the Caribbean that you can't get at home or online for the same or better price. Re watches, cameras, electronics and other items that come with a guarantee, those guarantees are often "gray market" and not valid in the US.

Archived