What are Tiles and how do you get them?

califgary

They're souvenirs given to all Mariners ... anyone on their 2nd or later HAL cruise. Go HERE and then click Tiles on the left side. They used to be delivered to your cabin, but for the last couple of years they've been given out at the Mariner's Brunch.

Prior to 2006 they had ship images or Dutch scenes on them. The new 2012 ones go back to having ship images. Yay!!

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32902339&postcount=87

Once you are a mariner, you are invited to the mariner 'brunch' and each person receives a souvenir tile.:D A lot of us like to collect them. some use them as coasters - some do their bathrooms or kitchens and others just like to collect them:D

The tiles are 4"x 4" Delft blue designed, ceramic tiles, backed with cork. They are gifts from HAL to previous guests and vary in design. In the past, the tiles represented the ship you were sailing on; the last we received - 3 yrs ago - were copies of old HAL posters advertising the line.

I like to use a permanent marker and put the date of sailing and ship's name on the back now, so I know when I acquired them. Use them as hot plates on the counter or table or incorporate them into a frame or a tiled backsplash or hand-crafted table top.

Ah thats why I dont know about them. Im a 3 Star Mariner but we've never gone to the brunch! Thanks.

If you don't go to the brunch and they are not delivered to your cabin, then see the front desk. They will see that you get them:D

Or you can email the mariners' society if you have been on a recent cruise, tell them you didn't get your tiles and they will send them to you:)

Ah thats why I dont know about them. Im a 3 Star Mariner but we've never gone to the brunch! Thanks.

As a 3 star Mariner -- even though you have not gone to the brunch -- you should have been getting the tiles.

Some cabin stewards are notified about those not attending the brunch and do see that they are delivered to the cabin.

Most people who don't go to the brunch and don't get them delivered to the cabin go to the front desk to get them. We just stop by the Neptune Lounge and remind them that we opted not to go to the brunch and to please see that we get our times.

A couple of times the ships have run out of tiles on cruises and we had to call the Mariner Society and they were sent to us.

Mariner Society Number:

1-800-547-9139

Thanks for the info - we've never gotten any tiles and have made it all the way to being 3 Star Mariners. No one has ever mentioned this to us on a cruise - I emailed the Mariner Society about this - lets see what they say! Now that I know about this I will make sure to stop by the front office next time and ask...thanks to all on this info!

Thanks for the info - we've never gotten any tiles and have made it all the way to being 3 Star Mariners. No one has ever mentioned this to us on a cruise - I emailed the Mariner Society about this - lets see what they say! Now that I know about this I will make sure to stop by the front office next time and ask...thanks to all on this info!

The front desk on a ship can only handle tiles for that ship.

If you want tiles from your other cruises -- call the Mariner Society and tell them that you have never received any tiles.

They are on your table at the Mariner's Brunch.
Or sometimes they're on a table near the door and they are handed to you as you walk out.

If you want tiles from your other cruises -- call the Mariner Society and tell them that you have never received any tiles.
I doubt very much if they would have any old tiles (after they finally deplete the 2010 series stuff) so all he'd be able to get is multiple copies of whatever they have now.

They're souvenirs given to all Mariners ... anyone on their 2nd or later HAL cruise. Go HERE and then click Tiles on the left side. They used to be delivered to your cabin, but for the last couple of years they've been given out at the Mariner's Brunch.

Prior to 2006 they had ship images or Dutch scenes on them. The new 2012 ones go back to having ship images. Yay!!

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32902339&postcount=87

On my recent 16-Day Caribbean cruise, onboard the Noordam, I did not attend the Mariner's Brunch! I asked my stateroom steward if I could have two tiles delivered to my room after I told him that I would not be attending the Mariner's Brunch & he said that they do not do that! :confused: So, I approached the Front Office, to request the same thing & two tiles were delivered to my stateroom (mailbox)! ;)

Yeah that is why you have never recieved a tile but you can go to the front desk and ask for one. They are usually more then happy to get one for you.

Archived