didn't read the fine print

used the future cruise option in late Jan. on the oasis...both dh and i put 100$ down...just booked a 12 day transatlantic for 4-13...it did only cost us the 200$ for down payment...thought that we would EACH get obc(150$)for the cruise....no !only 1 per cabin.

I thought wow,too good to be true for 300$ obc and it was. so, beware,read the fine print.

used the future cruise option in late Jan. on the oasis...both dh and i put 100$ down...just booked a 12 day transatlantic for 4-13...it did only cost us the 200$ for down payment...thought that we would EACH get obc(150$)for the cruise....no !only 1 per cabin.

I thought wow,too good to be true for 300$ obc and it was. so, beware,read the fine print.

OBC has always been per cabin just the C&A Balcony Discount.

OBC has always been per cabin just the C&A Balcony Discount.

For those that ask or take the time to read, would know it's a per cabin OBC.

There have been times that I have not read everything, and thought one thing, but found out....sometimes the hard way, that what I thought was right.......was wrong!:):rolleyes:

Rick

For those that ask or take the time to read, would know it's a per cabin OBC.

There have been times that I have not read everything, and thought one thing, but found out....sometimes the hard way, that what I thought was right.......was wrong!:):rolleyes:

Rick

Maybe you have to be a seasoned RCI cruiser to know the policies?;)

We used it in July on FOS and booked a E. Med cruise. Fortunately, we knew it was an OBC per cabin, but we also get OBC from our TA and OBC with RCI credit card so we are sitting good for being able to pay the bar tab (LOL).

Maybe you have to be a seasoned RCI cruiser to know the policies?;)

No, you really only need to be able to read and take the time to read documents/sites before you buy anything. Too many people don't and then get upset when the information was right there for them to obtain. We all need to take responsibility for our actions/inactions and accept the consequences.

I just booked a crusie for 8-2013 and the vacation planner was telling me about this. So how does it work? you purchase a voucher/certificate and then when you use it you only have to put half of the deposit down and you get onboard credit ?? How long do you have to use it /does it expire?? Say I purchased 1 for DH and 1 for me but then when ever we crusie again we take our 2 daughters?? how would that work?

Thanks. And sorry to sound so dumb but I am still learning.

No, you really only need to be able to read and take the time to read documents/sites before you buy anything. Too many people don't and then get upset when the information was right there for them to obtain. We all need to take responsibility for our actions/inactions and accept the consequences.

Agree, I was trying to be tactful.:o:D

I just booked a crusie for 8-2013 and the vacation planner was telling me about this. So how does it work? you purchase a voucher/certificate and then when you use it you only have to put half of the deposit down and you get onboard credit ?? How long do you have to use it /does it expire?? Say I purchased 1 for DH and 1 for me but then when ever we crusie again we take our 2 daughters?? how would that work?

When booking on board there are 2 types of bookings:

1. Booking a Future Cruise where you are picking a specific itinerary/sailing date. You get the reduced deposit of $100pp, which is refundable if you cancel prior to final payment.

2. Creating a NextCruise booking is where you are "not" picking a specific sailing date. With this type of booking you also get a reduced deposit of $100pp but it is non-refundable (though this is debatable). A booking number is assigned that only becomes active once you convert to a specific itinerary/sailing date. There is no further money due at the time of conversion until final payment. A NextCruise does not expire. You also can get two Certificates for Family and Friends with a NextCruise booking.

Both types of bookings will get you an OBC and C&A balcony discount or the ability to use a C&A Savings Certificate if one becomes available for your cruise.

The only time you do not get a reduced deposit is when you book a GS cabin or higher, then the deposit is double what it normally would be.

With the above bookings you can combine OBC from Visa Points and OBC received from a TA or as a gift from family/friends with any two benefits from RCI.

I can sympathise with the OP for believing the OBC was per person and I can understand feeling disappointed once the reality was made clear.

I've only used the Next Cruise booking once but it was nice to only have to put down a single $100 deposit. Even though an additional person was added to the reservation at the time of final payment, the original $100 was the only deposit I had to pay.

Add to that the OBC per cabin and I was thrilled with the program and am glad RCI has it in place.

Having read the fine print, here are a couple more items that might be of interest to people buying Next Cruise Credits for the first time:

- Yes, you only need to buy ONE cruise credit for yourself and your spouse. You're only going to get one OBC credit anyway.

- UNLESS you decide to bring your children and put them in a separate cabin . . . or UNLESS you decide to make your next cruise a back-to-back. In those situations, you'd be able to use both OBC credits.

- BUYING two credits doesn't mean you must USE two credits. You might buy two (it's not that much money) in case you end up bringing friends or family members along, and IF you end up sailing with just your spouse, use one credit . . . and save one credit for your next-next cruise. They're good indefinitely.

- You cannot buy a Next Cruise Credit with your current cruise's OBC. You can get "double points" on your RC Visa by using it to purchase a Next Cruise Credit.

- If you decide later that you hate Royal Caribbean and want your money back, you can get it back. No, they won't refund it, but you can book a cruse and then cancel it right away. You'll get your deposit back, which will be your $100. You'll never get the OBC, of course, but that was always going to be the "free money".

- Note that the reduced deposit doesn't save you money on the total cost of your cruise. It just saves you money on booking day. For example, let's say your cruise cost $1000. If you pay only a $100 deposit, you're going to owe $900 later. If you have no cruise credit and you pay a normal deposit of $250 (isn't that normal?), you're going to owe $750 later. My SIL thought that they were lowering the total cost of the cruise, and she was very disappointed to realize that the cost was just shifted to a later date. The reduced deposit doesn't actually gain you anything -- the OBC is the real prize in this deal.

The bottom line is that the big winner with Next Cruise Credits is Royal Caribbean. By having you purchase a $100 credit, you tend to think, "I'll just book with them -- I won't compare their prices and itineraries with other cruise lines." And you tend not to consider non-cruise vacations. The only "plus" you're really getting with the credit is the OBC, which doesn't cost them much of anything in the long run -- $100 of drinks or merchandise probably costs them $20 at the most. It's a brilliant marketing scheme on their part: For about $20, they're getting to hold your money for some time, and then they're guaranteeing that you'll come back and spend thousands with them.

I'm not saying don't buy them. If you're sure that you'll sail with Royal again, then the OBC is well worth it; you sure aren't going to get that return on your money at the bank. I'm just saying, Recognize the scheme for what it is. Be sure you're making the best financial decisions for yourself, not Royal Caribbean! Read that fine print and make a wise decision.

One other little hint: If you're going to buy one, do it early in your cruise. On the last day, people'll be waiting in line to plunk down $100 for a Next Cruise Credit. Early in the cruise you can walk straight in and talk to a Loyalty Ambassador about a Next Cruise Credit. On the last day, you'll have to make an appointment and come back hours later, cutting into your vacation time. Why waste time for a task that you can accomplish literally in 15-20 minutes?

Having read the fine print, here are a couple more items that might be of interest to people buying Next Cruise Credits for the first time:

- Yes, you only need to buy ONE cruise credit for yourself and your spouse. You're only going to get one OBC credit anyway.

- UNLESS you decide to bring your children and put them in a separate cabin . . . or UNLESS you decide to make your next cruise a back-to-back. In those situations, you'd be able to use both OBC credits.

- Buying two credits doesn't mean you must USE two credits. You might buy two (it's not that much money) in case you end up bringing friends or family members along, and IF you end up sailing with just your spouse, save one credit for your next-next cruise. They're good indefinitely.

- Note that the reduced deposit doesn't save you money on the total cost of your cruise. It just saves you money on booking day. For example, let's say your cruise cost $1000. If you pay only a $100 deposit, you're going to owe $900 later. If you have no cruise credit and you pay a normal deposit of $250 (isn't that normal?), you're going to owe $750 later. My SIL thought that they were lowering the total cost of the cruise, and she was very disappointed to realize that the cost was just shifted to a later date.

The bottom line is that the big winner with Next Cruise Credits is Royal Caribbean. By having you purchase a $100 credit, you tend to think, "I'll just book with them -- I won't compare their prices and itineraries with other cruise lines." And you tend not to consider non-cruise vacations. The only "plus" you're really getting with the credit is the OBC, which doesn't cost them much of anything in the long run -- $100 of drinks or merchandise probably costs them $20 at the most. It's a brilliant marketing scheme on their part: For about $20, they're getting to hold your money for some time, and then they're guaranteeing that you'll come back and spend thousands with them.

I'm not saying don't buy them. If you're sure that you'll sail with Royal again, then the OBC is well worth it; you sure aren't going to get that return on your money at the bank. I'm just saying, Recognize the scheme for what it is. Be sure you're making the best financial decisions for yourself, not Royal Caribbean! Read that fine print and make a wise decision.

I'm confused with your reference to "credits". :confused: Remember that OBC is determined by length of cruise and can range from $25 to $200.

Booking an unspecified cruise or NextCruise is very common on Celebrity and Princess, not sure about NCL or HAL. So, I don't believe that there is any scheming on RCI's part.

Thank you. That is what I though but I was not sure I undersood correctly. I think we will purchase that on our next cruise and that will give us a small upperhand when we go again!

You're welcome. It's always good to have one or two of these NC bookings available just in case the itinerary you are looking for becomes available and you're at home and not on a ship.

Remember, you only have to put one person's name on the NC when it's created. Once it's converted you can add another name at the same reduced deposit of $100.

Say I purchased 1 for DH and 1 for me but then when ever we crusie again we take our 2 daughters?? how would that work?

- BUYING two credits doesn't mean you must USE two credits. You might buy two (it's not that much money) in case you end up bringing friends or family members along, and IF you end up sailing with just your spouse, use one credit . . . and save one credit for your next-next cruise. They're good indefinitely.

If you purchase a NCC (w/o booking a specific cruise onboard) you also get 2 certificates for friends and family to use on the same cruise you eventually book. So if you buy and NCC then you and DH can use it for another cruise. You can use one of the family certificates for your dtrs (if they book a separate room) plus they would also get OBC. If you are all in one room, you only need one NCC (and only get one OBC--OBC is per cabin.

You can buy an NCC (to use on a second cruise) and hubby can buy an NCC (to use on a 3rd cruise). Each NCC is good for booking 1 room (and then you get the friends & family certs you can use for other rooms on the same sailig)

Does that make sense?

I'm confused with your reference to "credits". :confused: Remember that OBC is determined by length of cruise and can range from $25 to $200.

Booking an unspecified cruise or NextCruise is very common on Celebrity and Princess, not sure about NCL or HAL. So, I don't believe that there is any scheming on RCI's part.

Patti,

HAL's "Future Cruise Deposit" works in a very similar pattern as the others that you mentioned -- however they can only be used on cruises of 7 to 36 days duration, and are good for four years from purchase.

I thought I'd let you know in case you were condiering "jumping ship" :D

Ray in NH

Patti,

HAL's "Future Cruise Deposit" works in a very similar pattern as the others that you mentioned -- however they can only be used on cruises of 7 to 36 days duration, and are good for four years from purchase.

I thought I'd let you know in case you were condiering "jumping ship" :D

Ray in NH

Thanks for the explanation Ray. Having only sailed HAL twice, I wasn't up to date on their policies.

You're welcome. It's always good to have one or two of these NC bookings available just in case the itinerary you are looking for becomes available and you're at home and not on a ship.

Especially at this time of the year when RCI always dawdles with releasing their next year's itineraries. It's nice to have one handy if you want to book a specific cabin when the cruise is released, and you're not onboard at the time. We are on FOS in three weeks, and we have a favorite cabin. If RCI releases the schedule before we board, having an NCC lets me call C&A and lock up the cabin we want. That's how we've been able to book 1100 on Jewel for three straight cruises - NCC's in hand on opening day:D

I was referring to a "credit" as a Next Cruise Credit, the pre-paid voucher with no specified date.

The On Board Credit -- confusing, perhaps, because Royal uses the term "credit" again. Their terms, not mine. The Next Cruise Credit provides you with On Board Credit, which is money you can spend onboard.

It's TOTALLY a marketing scheme, a way to get you to mentally commit to using their cruise line again. You're less likely to compare their prices, less likely to choose Disneyland . . . because you've already paid something towards your next cruise. It can work in the customer's favor, of course, but it's money in the bank to Royal Caribbean.

If you purchase a NCC (w/o booking a specific cruise onboard) you also get 2 certificates for friends and family to use on the same cruise you eventually book. So if you buy and NCC then you and DH can use it for another cruise. You can use one of the family certificates for your dtrs (if they book a separate room) plus they would also get OBC. If you are all in one room, you only need one NCC (and only get one OBC--OBC is per cabin.

You can buy an NCC (to use on a second cruise) and hubby can buy an NCC (to use on a 3rd cruise). Each NCC is good for booking 1 room (and then you get the friends & family certs you can use for other rooms on the same sailig)

Does that make sense?

I'd forgotten about those friends and family certificates! Again, a brilliant business move on Royal's part. Instead of just selling YOU a room, they're putting you to work as travel agents, getting you to convince your friends and family to take this particular cruise. The OBC is a good incentive, and it costs them almost nothing.

Can you purchase a Next Cruise in someone else's name? I have friends going on a Celebrity Cruise in a few weeks & would like to have them get a Celebrity Next Cruise Cert. for me...but not sure if it's possible...

Archived