Anchorage to Seward Options

tonyt

We are going from Anchorage to Seward. We have 2 options:

1.Take the shuttle bus, which gets us into Seward in time to take the 7.5 hour Major Marine Fjords tour or

2. Take the train, which means we must settle for the 5 hour tour.

Is the scenery so much better on the train than that on the bus to justify settling for the 5 hour tour?

We are doing a similar trip, and based on what I have read, the train ride from Anchorage to Seward has one of the nicest views. The tracks also don't follow the roads, so you will want to take the train. In areas where the train follows the road, I have read that you should drive so you can stop when you want.

We plan to take the train... Now the choice between the Gold class and the Adventure class, is one you will get mixed opinions. We don't know when we will return, so we're doing the Gold class.

Good luck!

Did you book this on line yourself?

We need to do the same. I've booked our cruise, but now the details. SO rather then look it up I was hoping you'd give me some insite.

What's the difference between Gold and Adventure?

We would need to do this on Thursday and stay in Seward over night?

Or are you planning to take the train the day of sailing, Friday?

Pat

We are doing a similar trip, and based on what I have read, the train ride from Anchorage to Seward has one of the nicest views. The tracks also don't follow the roads, so you will want to take the train. In areas where the train follows the road, I have read that you should drive so you can stop when you want.

We plan to take the train... Now the choice between the Gold class and the Adventure class, is one you will get mixed opinions. We don't know when we will return, so we're doing the Gold class.

Good luck!

The train arrives in Seward at 11:05. There are Kenai cruises at 11:30am, timed to coincide with the train's arrival and to return before your ship departs.

http://www.majormarine.com/alaska-day-cruises/kenai-fjords-fullday-national-park-cruise/

http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-nationalpark.html

I guess I should have said 6 hour tour not 5.

Do you have an opinion on train vs bus?

Based upon what we read on these boards, we also have choosen to take the train, gold class. It fives us reserved seats in the dome with 360 degree visability anf better dining options.

Based upon what we read on these boards, we also have choosen to take the train, gold class. It gives us reserved seats in the dome with 360 degree visability and better dining options.

I guess I should have said 6 hour tour not 5.

Do you have an opinion on train vs bus?

I have only driven a car or RV to Seward ... maybe half a dozen times. I understand the bus is quite scenic so if your choice is between those 2 I'd go with the train.

As for the cruise .. don't get too hung up on 5 vs 6 hrs. Be more concerned about the route than the speed of the boat. Just be sure that you're on a glacier tour, not a Bay tour.

I have only driven a car or RV to Seward ... maybe half a dozen times. I understand the bus is quite scenic so if your choice is between those 2 I'd go with the train.

As for the cruise .. don't get too hung up on 5 vs 6 hrs. Be more concerned about the route than the speed of the boat. Just be sure that you're on a glacier tour, not a Bay tour.

THe bus is no more scenic than your drive to Seward. There is only one road to Seward and the buses follow that same road.

I have driven to Seward many times and have taken the train round trip.

Both are scenic. I think the train has an advantage because you can get up and move around a lot more in the train than you can a bus.

If you are simply going from Anchorage to Seward, drive. If you want to really enjoy the experience as fully as possible, take the train.

I actually have taken both the train and driven multiple times on the Seward Highway. With a SINGLE trip, you are going to have to miss touring options. Yes, the train is more scenici compared to the Seward Highway. The alternative to include Both, would be to book with another Kenai fjords boat tour, and gets a similar routing that hooks up with the railroad, like listed above.

IF there is only the two listed choices for this poster, then likely getting some varied wildlife included in an Alaska visit may be the priority, with that choice being the transit by road.

THe bus is no more scenic than your drive to Seward. There is only one road to Seward and the buses follow that same road.

Yikes. Thanks for catching my error, AKman .:o I don't know why I said the bus is more scenic but then I said 'take the TRAIN'. That made no sense....not enough caffeine I guess. People always rave about the train to Seward.

Maybe I'll get around to it one day, but I really prefer to drive so I can stop and enjoy or explore.

OK, I think I'm sold on the train but then the question is do we go gold or adventurer. I hope the seats on both are nicer then airplanes? If your on at 6:30 that means you don't really even need lunch, your in Seward by 11:30 so pocket some snacks, buy a few drinks. You can get up and move around either class?

Yikes. Thanks for catching my error, AKman .:o I don't know why I said the bus is more scenic but then I said 'take the TRAIN'. That made no sense....not enough caffeine I guess. People always rave about the train to Seward.

Maybe I'll get around to it one day, but I really prefer to drive so I can stop and enjoy or explore.

First of all.I'm not going to drive. Don't like driving and too expensive with drop off fees. I am going to Whittier the next day and plan to take the PWS tour there.

I can make the 7.5 hour tour if I take the bus. I am trying to weigh whether the increased scenery from the train offsets what I would see in the additional 1.5 hour Fjords tour.

First of all.I'm not going to drive. Don't like driving and too expensive with drop off fees. I am going to Whittier the next day and plan to take the PWS tour there.

I can make the 7.5 hour tour if I take the bus. I am trying to weigh whether the increased scenery from the train offsets what I would see in the additional 1.5 hour Fjords tour.

I already mentioned, that you could do both, if you change your tour operator. IF you are only open to these two choices, then flip a coin.

We are going from Anchorage to Seward. We have 2 options:

1.Take the shuttle bus, which gets us into Seward in time to take the 7.5 hour Major Marine Fjords tour or

2. Take the train, which means we must settle for the 5 hour tour.

Is the scenery so much better on the train than that on the bus to justify settling for the 5 hour tour?

Hello, We're travelling from Dublin to Chicago on Sep 6th, then to Denver, then to Anchorage, where we stay at the Marriot. On then to Seaward on the 7th where we board Radience of the seas for the 7 night cruise. How far is it from Anchorage to Seaward? I'm worried about the time changes + catching connecting flights, although we did book through an agent.

Hello, We're travelling from Dublin to Chicago on Sep 6th, then to Denver, then to Anchorage, where we stay at the Marriot. On then to Seaward on the 7th where we board Radience of the seas for the 7 night cruise. How far is it from Anchorage to Seaward? I'm worried about the time changes + catching connecting flights, although we did book through an agent.

It is Seward. By road Anchorage/Seward is 3 hours. I am also on this sailing. If an option, I would start your flying several days prior. You have given yourself little if any option for delays or cancelation with your flights. And also no time in Alaska for any touring. At the least Seward is worth time for sightseeing.

I already mentioned, that you could do both, if you change your tour operator. IF you are only open to these two choices, then flip a coin.

I am open to other tour operators. Which one will allow me to do both?

I think I'm sold on the train but then the question is do we go gold or adventurer.hjk

I always go in the Adventure class, and get there just fine. :) I use coupon discounts when I can. I have taken this train many times, and don't find the add cost rail car, worth it for me. For others, it is. You will have to find out where your priority is?

tonyt, Ask the vendors for details about the routing for the 5 and 6 hr cruises. They MIGHT be the same route but one tour is on a hi-speed catamaran. If the glacier experience is the priority for the Kenai cruise, find out if each tour goes to Bear and/or Aialik Glaciers .

tonyt, Ask the vendors for details about the routing for the 5 and 6 hr cruises. They MIGHT be the same route but one tour is on a hi-speed catamaran. If the glacier experience is the priority for the Kenai cruise, find out if each tour goes to Bear and/or Aialik Glaciers .

Bear glacier?? this isn't gone to by any of the boat tours, it's a sail by, and way out, since there is a shallow break way in front of it. Have you done any of these cruises?

Both companies have maps, it clearly show the routes are very similar.

Bear glacier?? this isn't gone to by any of the boat tours, it's a sail by, and way out, since there is a shallow break way in front of it. Have you done any of these cruises?

Both companies have maps, it clearly show the routes are very similar.

Yes, I have taken the cruise. I've been to Seward multiple times. Thanks for asking. Bear Glacier was from a kayak trip.

And yes, the maps clearly show the cruise routes, but since the OP is obviously struggling with this issue, a phone call is best way to put his mind at ease, hence the suggestion to call the vendor.

Archived