Westerdam dry dock now happening

sugarcharlie

Does anyone know what is being done to the Westerdam during the current dry dock in Freeport? It is a scheduled dry dock so the carpets, paint work and rail varnish is the usual things, but I wondered if anything mechanical or upgrades to facilities were planned.

Having just recently finished a Eurodam cruise and being scheduled for the Westerdam next month I would love to see upgrades to the Internet connections that were being tested on the Eurodam added. If there is room on the Westy a Tamarind would be great as well! That was one fine dining experience.

All of my searches for this have just come up with scheduled work and nothing specific. I know that even though it is only ten days of dry dock, they can do some amazing work in that short of a period.

Does anyone know what is being done to the Westerdam during the current dry dock in Freeport? It is a scheduled dry dock so the carpets, paint work and rail varnish is the usual things, but I wondered if anything mechanical or upgrades to facilities were planned.

Having just recently finished a Eurodam cruise and being scheduled for the Westerdam next month I would love to see upgrades to the Internet connections that were being tested on the Eurodam added. If there is room on the Westy a Tamarind would be great as well! That was one fine dining experience.

All of my searches for this have just come up with scheduled work and nothing specific. I know that even though it is only ten days of dry dock, they can do some amazing work in that short of a period.

I'm excited they're getting her all spiffed up for my first cruise on her ;)

A Tamarind would be nice but I doubt it. New carpeting probably and the upkeeps you mentioned. I am sure there will be engine maintenance. Hopefully HAL has learned it's lesson with the Veendam and nothing too, too damaging will be done.:o

A Tamarind would be nice but I doubt it. New carpeting probably and the upkeeps you mentioned. I am sure there will be engine maintenance. Hopefully HAL has learned it's lesson with the Veendam and nothing too, too damaging will be done.:o

There's been so much chatter about the Veendam that I'm looking forward to see how bad it is in May! Out of curiousity, I need to take a look at the retreat especially. In early May, we won't be out there anyway, but I can't imagine sailing on her in the heat of summer.

There's been so much chatter about the Veendam that I'm looking forward to see how bad it is in May! Out of curiousity, I need to take a look at the retreat especially. In early May, we won't be out there anyway, but I can't imagine sailing on her in the heat of summer.

I'll be on in a week and I'm anxious to see it too.

In a drydock they pull the ship out of the water to look for damage underneath and to paint and make sure everything down under is in good shape. On top of that they do all the cosmetic things. I do not know where they would put a Tarimand and Silk Den. They would have to put another floor oan the ship.

Actually, minor painting & rail varnishing is done during cruise itineraries! Such was the case on my recent Noordam cruise! You just have to be reclining on the Promenade Deck, peacefully, after lunch, to inhale the fumes to confirm those projects are being done! Annoying, but necessary, I guess! :(

In a drydock they pull the ship out of the water to look for damage underneath and to paint and make sure everything down under is in good shape. On top of that they do all the cosmetic things. I do not know where they would put a Tarimand and Silk Den. They would have to put another floor oan the ship.

And, we know what happened when they did that to the Veendam to add cabins and the Retreat instead of the Sea View Pool!

And, we know what happened when they did that to the Veendam to add cabins and the Retreat instead of the Sea View Pool!

They also did the same thing on the Rotterdam. Forunately they avoided the "Veendam Mistake" when they did the Statendam, Ryndam and Maasdam.

We were told on one cruise that the Tamarind can not be added to the other ships as she requires her own kitchen. And those ships can not handle the extra weight of the kitchen and restaurant.

While on our recent Maasdam cruise we got a ltter indicating the times that the crew would be doing the "white" painting on the port side verandahs.

We were told on one cruise that the Tamarind can not be added to the other ships as she requires her own kitchen. And those ships can not handle the extra weight of the kitchen and restaurant.

While on our recent Maasdam cruise we got a ltter indicating the times that the crew would be doing the "white" painting on the port side verandahs.

That makes sense...otherwise, considering the popularity of the Tamarind, I'm sure it would have been added to some of the fleet by now.

I will be on the W in Oct for a month.....and I would wish for a self serve laundry!!

I know I know....but I wish!!

Why not join our Roll Call --- we have some nice folks already as well as some tour info.

Look for: Westerdam - Hawaii/Tahiti --- Sept. 29, 30 and Oct. 4, 2012.

Archived