Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

As someone who's worked on ships for years, the bridge crew broke maritime law by not assisting, and I hope they are charged with manslaughter for this tragedy. In any case, I hope communities like this give Princess hell for how they handled this.

Anytime a ship comes across another ship in distress, they MUST give aid. This is disgusting.

It seems we have all missed the trial. This poster (miraflores ) obviously knows exactly what went on in the bridge that day. Perhaps they should get in contact with the relevant authorities to tell them all the facts of what really happened.

I didn't realize that working on ships for years gave someone the supernatural powers to know what went on in this situation...how absurd! :mad:

It's another example of a lack of openness to all of the facts before judging & sentencing by jumping to conclusions! :rolleyes:

why do you assume that the captain never not give aid? there is more to this story until facts are proven we all have opinions. some of us w/o poms poms

Hee hee...I'm sure if Captain Perrin was given viable information about a ship in distress, he would have acted accordingly. I don't think an entire bridge crew would sit around and decide to leave a ship in danger behind. Those who are postulating some kind of conspiracy theory have a little too much time on their hands.

And after looking at Shogun's picture, I agree that the survivors could not have identified the ship by name as the NPR report suggests...maybe as a big white ship with a logo, but certainly not by name.

why do you assume that the captain never not give aid? there is more to this story until facts are proven we all have opinions. some of us w/o poms poms

We have known Capt Perrin for years. He is a first rate seaman and his loyalty to and command of maritime law is of the highest standard. If he knew that someone needed help, he would give it. He would never pass a boat in distress - never. Yes, the facts will come out and in the meantime I'm proud to pom pom for Capt Perrin until cows lay eggs.

If the bird watchers could only see the boat with binoculars, how did the surviving boater identify the Star without them?

Hi All

So the guy saved knew the name of the ship, you need to be very close to a ship to read its name,the more the story goes on the stranger it gets.

yours shogun

Hmmmmm...if the ship was that far away, how could the survivor have seen the name of the ship? Just asking...

As the story gets re-told the facts get mighty twisted. If you look at the Spanish video posted on the Don Winner website, he (Winner) shows the survivor the picture of the cruise ship, identifies it to him as the Star Princess, and then asks the young man if that is the cruise ship he saw. The kid nods yes. It is not only a leading question, but at no time does the kid identify the ship himself by name.

Maybe it was the Star Princess he saw, maybe it wasn't. I still have not seen anyone explain how this 10 ft. boat, which traveled "nearly 600 miles" in 26 days, drifted 268 miles from Feb. 24 to March 10, about 18 miles per day and then suddenly sped up for the next 11 days and drifted at a rate of over 30 miles per day until it was found a further 332 miles away. Perhaps currents can do that.

The birdwatchers agreed that the boat they saw and took pictures of looked larger than a 10 ft. boat. The photos they posted do not show anyone in the act of waving. The nets they say were piled on top of the boat do not seem visible in the photos.

Just too many inconsistencies that need to be addressed.

My husband was on the ship at the time... I disembarked in Valparaiso He knew nothing about this until reading about it in the press this morning.

We met Captain Perrin several times on the ship and he gave a talk to the passengers about his job and career and I am heartsick over all this. He came across as incredibly professional, passionate about his job and being at sea, he was friendly, approachable, a fantastic ambassador for the ship and Princess. It is hard for me to believe he would deliberately ignore a vessel in distress.

I am really uncomfortable reading all the press reports that are already going after the captain before all the facts are known. He's not a celebrity, used to having his name and picture in the papers, he's a human being who was doing his job and MAY have made a mistake. Most people who make mistakes don't get tarred and feathered in the press for it and get convicted before a trial has been held.

I hope that after the facts all emerge and the full story is known that Captain Perrin will be exonerated. I liked him very much and fully support him and feel very sorry he has been caught up in a media frenzy built around attacking the cruise ship industry in general.

And some are willing to trivialize this discussion about this tragedy as having anything to do with loyalty to a cruise line...how absurd & totally out of line to say such a ridiculous thing! :mad:

It seems that in today's society, most believe the "Media Trial" before all of the facts are in.. :rolleyes:

And to say that loyalty to anything clouds ones judgment & objectivity when suggesting to wait for those facts before rushing to judgment like so many on social media. :rolleyes:

This really ticks me off the way so many have the Captain convicted already. There seems to be a lot of holes in this story, just like the Travyon/Zimmerman case. Why do so many assume what they read in a article give them all the facts. Yes you can have opinions, but gossip can and does hurt a lot of people. All of you should not be the judges until we all know the facts, period.:mad::mad::mad:

This is all fine and good, however, the Feds are investigating the Trayvon/Zimmerman thing. It appears that Princess is going to investigate Princess. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the salient "facts" to come rolling out anytime soon.

Hi All

Would you trust anything in a newspaper with this head line

Another Costa calamity: Concordia's sister cruise liner 'ignored' passenger pleas to help stranded fishing boat... on which two of its three crew died

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131563/Carnival-Star-Princess-ignored-passenger-pleas-help-stranded-fishing-boat.html#ixzz1sW4x3qF9

yours shogun

Below is an article from 2009 regarding the Star Princess. Notice the comments about the ships crew and Captain. Who was the Star Princess Captain? Ed Perrin! We know because we were onboard. He was even on the dock supervising the offloading of supplies.

Princess ships deliver tsunami relief in Samoa

When Star Princess and Sun Princess called in Apia, Samoa and Pago Pago, American Samoa this past weekend, the ships brought along some much needed relief supplies and more than $10,000 in donations for the region that was recently hit with a powerful tsunami.

The ships off-loaded pallets of bottled water, sugar, flour, linens and clothing donated by passengers and crew, plus treats of candy and chocolate for the children. In addition, in Pago Pago, both ships welcomed Red Cross relief workers onboard for some relief of their own, with hot showers, use of the ships’ laundries, phone calls home and lunch.

The ship captains conveyed the heartfelt sympathy and support of Princess crew and passengers for the people of Samoa during this difficult time, and informed local officials that the Princess Cruises Community Foundation is donating $10,000 to the Red Cross for relief efforts in Samoa and American Samoa.

The ships also conducted their own fundraising for the relief efforts, including donations from their Crew Club funds, contributions received from passengers and crew, and money raised from auctions of the ships’ navigational charts used during the cruises.

In Apia, the Honorable Misa Telfoni, the minister of tourism and deputy prime minister, was touched by the generosity of Princess Cruises. He made particular mention of the Princess crew and their donation which he described as “random acts of kindness and love” which would greatly assist in the recovery and renewed growth of the area.

Photos of the ship’s relief efforts are available on Flickr.

Hard to believe the same man turned his back on those fishermen on purpose.

This is all fine and good, however, the Feds are investigating the Trayvon/Zimmerman thing. It appears that Princess is going to investigate Princess. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the salient "facts" to come rolling out anytime soon.

You may be correct - but that doesn't mean there was any wrong doing.

Hi All

Would you trust anything in a newspaper with this head line

Another Costa calamity: Concordia's sister cruise liner 'ignored' passenger pleas to help stranded fishing boat... on which two of its three crew died

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131563/Carnival-Star-Princess-ignored-passenger-pleas-help-stranded-fishing-boat.html#ixzz1sW4x3qF9

yours shogun

There are very few objective news sources not willing to sensationalize the news to generate viewers. The headline & the Concordia photo have nothing to do with this situation & it causes me to loose credibility in their news story. Too much sensationalized tabloid-style 'news' stories these days.

If you go to http://www.gma.yahoo.com, there's a link to a story about this that includes a video taken by the birders.

I think what happened is a case of miscommunication. Somewhere, somehow, the report and timing don't coincide. The birders did what I would consider the appropriate action. It's what happened next that IMHO is where the stories diverge and the miscommunication occurred. The birders and the video from the link above show no other fishing or other boats. The Captain is reported to say that there were boats around (as did some of the people on the ship on this thread) and he contacted one of them. Both can't be correct for the same time period. I can't imagine Captain Perrin not responding when notified but I can speculate that the "officer" who said he would report the birder's sighting either didn't do so or told someone else who failed to notify the bridge immediately. I think we're going to see another case of human misjudgment and failure. :(

As for whether or not the fisherman recognized the ship, there were few or no other large cruise ships in that region at that time. We were on a repositioning cruise and few lines have itineraries going anywhere near Ecuador. Expedition ships but not big cruise ships.

We have known Capt Perrin for years. He is a first rate seaman and his loyalty to and command of maritime law is of the highest standard. If he knew that someone needed help, he would give it. He would never pass a boat in distress - never. Yes, the facts will come out and in the meantime I'm proud to pom pom for Capt Perrin until cows lay eggs.

I must admit that this sums up my thoughts exactly!!!!!

Princess Cruises is conducting an internal investigation after the captain of one of its ships reportedly ignored a passenger's report of a distress signal and continued on course, rather than coming to the rescue of a stranded Panamanian fishing vessel.

Two of the fishing boat's three crew members later died of dehydration, one day after the encounter with the cruise ship.

If this is true I am very disappointed with Princess if this story is in fact true...

Is making it to the beach on time more important than two lives?

I have friends who were rescued by a Carnival cruise ship twenty or so years ago when their sailboat sank in the Anegada Passage. Thank god that captain did the right thing.

http://gma.yahoo.com/princess-cruises-investigate-why-captain-ignored-distress-call-233100964--abc-news-topstories.html

If you go to http://www.gma.yahoo.com, there's a link to a story about this that includes a video taken by the birders.

I think what happened is a case of miscommunication. Somewhere, somehow, the report and timing don't coincide. The birders did what I would consider the appropriate action. It's what happened next that IMHO is where the stories diverge and the miscommunication occurred. The birders and the video from the link above show no other fishing or other boats. The Captain is reported to say that there were boats around (as did some of the people on the ship on this thread) and he contacted one of them. Both can't be correct for the same time period. I can't imagine Captain Perrin not responding when notified but I can speculate that the "officer" who said he would report the birder's sighting either didn't do so or told someone else who failed to notify the bridge immediately. I think we're going to see another case of human misjudgment and failure. :(

As for whether or not the fisherman recognized the ship, there were few or no other large cruise ships in that region at that time. We were on a repositioning cruise and few lines have itineraries going anywhere near Ecuador. Expedition ships but not big cruise ships.

I agree with you about it possibly being a miscommunication issue & have speculated the same thing along with others as a 'probable' cause. Fortunately most of us are willing to wait for the investigation to be completed unlike those who jump to conclusions & are willing to judge & punish based on assumptions.

I think it is because they get a thrill out of it, and makes them feel superior.

Right.. :rolleyes:

This is the Princess Chat Board, and a Princess ship[ is in the news...

If you don't want to discuss it don't. Don't go dish people who are interested in learning more about what happened that day on the Star.

Right.. :rolleyes:

This is the Princess Chat Board, and a Princess ship[ is in the news...

If you don't want to discuss it don't. Don't go dish people who are interested in learning more about what happened that day on the Star.

I am discussing it and not 'dishing' any one. I responded to a post asking why people post negative things.

People will only learn things about what happened on the star when the FACTS are published.

I am discussing it and not 'dishing' any one. I responded to a post asking why people post negative things.

People will only learn things about what happened on the star when the FACTS are published.

Dave, it's one of the reasons why chat boards exist

So you only want people to discuss it after the investigation? Hope you haven't posted anything about the Costa mess... oh wait you did!!! :D

You said pretty much the same thing there as here...:p

SwissDave

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

although a tragic event, and human nature dictates we need someone to blame I really wish people would lay off the speculation until the truth is known. Then they can have their free for all blaming sessions with armchair Captains telling everyone what they would have done.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31962581#post31962581

Archived