solo cruising on Princess, your experience/suggestions

vmom

Would anyone who posted on this thread be interested in doing a solo group cruise on Princess? I'd be more than willing to organize it. I can pretty much cruise at any time as long as I have internet access. Let me know by responding on the thread. :)

Would anyone who posted on this thread be interested in doing a solo group cruise on Princess? I'd be more than willing to organize it. I can pretty much cruise at any time as long as I have internet access. Let me know by responding on the thread. :)

I'd be interested in a group solo cruise to somewhere, somewhen.:-))

Would anyone who posted on this thread be interested in doing a solo group cruise on Princess? I'd be more than willing to organize it. I can pretty much cruise at any time as long as I have internet access. Let me know by responding on the thread.:)

I would but like any cruise it would depend on itinerary, cost and dates. :)

Thank you everyone who shared info on this thread. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going solo on my first Princess cruise in a few weeks and I'm actually more nervous about this one then I am about my European cruise :) I suppose it's because I'm not that familiar with Princess. I feel better now after reading your stories.

I kind of have my vacation time booked up for a while, but I would consider it if things fell into place. I probably couldn't go until 2013.

I kind of have my vacation time booked up for a while, but I would consider it if things fell into place. I probably couldn't go until 2013.

I would but like any cruise it would depend on itinerary, cost and dates. :)

I'd be interested in a group solo cruise to somewhere, somewhen.:-))

Ok, this is a good start. Since we are almost half way thru 2012, 2013 is a great option.

1.How many days could you all get away for?

2.Do you like sun and beach, exotic places, repositioning?

3. Anyone partial to a particular ship?

I just booked a window suite on the Caribbean transatlantic (15 days) for next April at a ridiculously low price. I'm not sure if I'll be solo or my friend will come but repositioning cruises are a great value if anyone's interested in that. Let me know your thoughts!!

I'd be interested, even though I'm on the "other" solo cruise thread (and I don't know why a previous poster had probelms with the thread; there have been posts every day, including the past few).

To answer the questions:

1) 7-10 days, no longer - I still work.

2) I'd prefer to stay with stateside departures, preferably east coast or southern. Intercontinental airfares would kill me.

3) Since I have yet to be on my first Princess cruise (coming up in August), I have no preference about ship.

Thanks!

Ok, this is a good start. Since we are almost half way thru 2012, 2013 is a great option.

1.How many days could you all get away for?

2.Do you like sun and beach, exotic places, repositioning?

3. Anyone partial to a particular ship?

I just booked a window suite on the Caribbean transatlantic (15 days) for next April at a ridiculously low price. I'm not sure if I'll be solo or my friend will come but repositioning cruises are a great value if anyone's interested in that. Let me know your thoughts!!

My personal preference would be Princess and a minimum of 10 days; again "somewhere & somewhen". I agree with another poster about the price of international flights. I have a b2b Caribbean cruise booked for January '13.

[quote name='vmom']Thanks. Is there usually a time period prior to booking that the amount goes to 200% vs 150%. Also, I did not know that outsides may also be 150%. Is this true only on some cruises?[/quote]

150% is restricted to oceanview and inside categories. Minis and up are virtually always 200%.

I've been following this thread and would also be interested in a solo cruise. I'm going on my second solo cruise this November. My first solo cruise was in the early 1980s so this one coming up feels like my first time. This will be my first cruise on Princess so I have no ship preference. However, I would love to try the Ruby since that's my birthstone. :) 10 days works best for me but I would do 7 or 14. I also like stateside departures. I've always wanted to do New England. Caribbean or Alaska would work too.

Paula

[quote name='LucyDiamond']I've been following this thread and would also be interested in a solo cruise. I'm going on my second solo cruise this November. My first solo cruise was in the early 1980s so this one coming up feels like my first time. This will be my first cruise on Princess so I have no ship preference. However, I would love to try the Ruby since that's my birthstone. :) 10 days works best for me but I would do 7 or 14. I also like stateside departures. I've always wanted to do New England. Caribbean or Alaska would work too.

Paula[/QUOTE]

The Ruby is a fantastic ship. I just sailed on her and Princess for that matter for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it

[quote name='Bugsy4271']The Ruby is a fantastic ship. I just sailed on her and Princess for that matter for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it[/QUOTE]
I've seen her in port and she looks like a fantastic ship. I read your review and thought it was a great review.

Someone mentioned two cruise credits for a solo. Is that referring to OBC gained by using future cruise credits, or are you saying that a solo earns two cruise credits toward Elite status?

And I agree that the roll call forums are a great place to meet future cruisemates. I've never sailed solo but I have met some of the nicest people online here in the months leading up to the cruise. Almost like having an old friend on the ship by the time the cruise begins.

[quote name='bjboothman']Someone mentioned two cruise credits for a solo. Is that referring to OBC gained by using future cruise credits, or are you saying that a solo earns two cruise credits toward Elite status?[/QUOTE]The two cruise credits are Captains Circle credits towards the next level, i.e., Platinum or Elite. They are unrelated to OBC.

[quote name='bjboothman']Someone mentioned two cruise credits for a solo. Is that referring to OBC gained by using future cruise credits, or are you saying that a solo earns two cruise credits toward Elite status?

And I agree that the roll call forums are a great place to meet future cruisemates. I've never sailed solo but I have met some of the nicest people online here in the months leading up to the cruise. Almost like having an old friend on the ship by the time the cruise begins.[/QUOTE]

As a solo traveler I got two credits towards Elite status

I done many cruises solo (male/48) and let me tell you you should never allow your relationship status determine whether to cruise or not. Many singles/solos go on cruises each year and have a great time. It really comes down to having a positive attitude and taking risk which is very hard for some people to do. The key I've found is to book traditional dining so you have the same nice people to dine with each night, get involved with your sailing's roll call, book the ship organized shore tours and get out of your cabin and participation in some of the ship's on-board activities. You will normally meet people and make friends with ease. Don't be embarrassed to let people know your sailing solo and if you can join them. Most people are most accommodating. Yes, you will have some time by yourself. This is normal so bring something to keep yourself occupied like a book, Ipod/Ipad, magazines, etc. Cruises are social places and as long as you smile and are friendly you'll meet people and have a great time. It's worked for me everything...30+ cruise and counting.

[quote name='Strumpetskaya'][FONT="Lucida Console"]99% of my cruising has been solo and I've loved it. It's easy to meet others and I've made some dear friends along the way. I would caution that in the days of traditional dining it was much easier.
Now that independent dining has become standard on most cruise lines, very few people choose the traditional dining route. The last time I opted for the set dining, I ended up at a table for 8 by myself! You can always try it and see if you have any other table mates, but if you end up in a similar situation, I'd recommend that you use the dining room for breakfast and lunch and ask to be seated with others. You are likely to connect with someone who would love to join you for dinner. The buffet is another alternative, but why deny yourself the service of the dining room. As a last resort, you can always bring a book to the dinner table.

Aside from meals, meeting others at the public events is easy if you make the effort. And DEFINITELY check the roll call boards![/FONT][/QUOTE]

As a long time devotee of Cruise Critic, although I have only cruised twice myself, in reading posts and reviews by many others I must disagree that few choose the traditional dining route. Traditional seems to be the one that is always waitlisted, and that folks are trying to get into. I did anytime once, and much prefer traditional.

Archived