Azipod failures

Spender Nui

RCCI and Rolls-Royce announced the settlement of the ' azipod' lawsuit in January 2010. It is probably not ironic that the problems stopped shortly after.

I think it can be safely assumed that part of that settlement was replacement of all the existing M class azipods with a new version. That new version has been installed on all the S class ships and as far as I know there have been no issues in what is now nearly 4 years of use.

Of course now if the problems start showing up again there are going to be a lot of people upset with you!

M class ships are equiped with the mermaid pods by rolls royce. As with almost any Rolls product, the quality was originally absolute crap due to rushed design.

Azi is a different manufacturer and i think s class is azi equipped.

M class ships are equiped with the mermaid pods by rolls royce. As with almost any Rolls product, the quality was originally absolute crap due to rushed design.

The true Azipod is manufactured by ABB, but has become the ubiquitous term for the type of propulsion. Celebrity M class and S class ships all have Mermaids manufactured by R-R.

The true Azipod is manufactured by ABB, but has become the ubiquitous term for the type of propulsion. Celebrity M class and S class ships all have Mermaids manufactured by R-R.

I am surprised that the S class uses the RR units, I think the RCL switched to ABB for the Voyager class.

I am surprised that the S class uses the RR units, I think the RCL switched to ABB for the Voyager class.

No Kidding !! In the S class for sure the Parent RCL did not stay with the Mermaids after their M class experience.

From http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/celebritysolsticecru/

The vessel, which is capable of cruising at the speed of 24kt, is installed with four Wartsila diesel engines, two 20.5MW Azipod azimuth thrusters, and pod propulsion systems. The overall engine output of the ship is 67,200kW and propulsion power is 41,000kW

You are both correct. I stand corrected!

We were on a brand new Brilliance of the Seas for our honeymoon in 2002. An Azipod failed in the middle of the St Lawrence Sea north of Nova Scotia. We were adrift for about 4 hours, and had to finish the cruise on only one azipod at about half speed. Missed a port. Yes, the Azipods were a disaster. :mad:

• 8 months later...

I have recently written over at the abandoned Wikipedia article slot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod about some of the recent developments regarding Azipod. I'm hoping the main points of the article will "stick" there.

One must remember that most of the problems seen be the patrons of the cruise industry actually concern not the Azipod, but the competing brand, the now discontinued Rolls-Royce Mermaid pods. The Azipod has become something of a generic name.

I have recently written over at the abandoned Wikipedia article slot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod about some of the recent developments regarding Azipod. I'm hoping the main points of the article will "stick" there.

One must remember that most of the problems seen be the patrons of the cruise industry actually concern not the Azipod, but the competing brand, the now discontinued Rolls-Royce Mermaid pods. The Azipod has become something of a generic name.

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing it! :)

Archived