Emergency contact

Freebythesea

Ok you experienced cruisers I need some advice. I would like to leave an emergency contact # for my son who is going to be in charge of the homestead while we are gone :eek:. He's 29 so I am not worried about any parties (like when he was 18) but he is taking care of the things and if there is an emergency I would like to be available for him. We will be keeping out cell phones off to avoind any roving charges.

We are on the Veendam for a week to Bermuda

What do you do:confused:.

Thanks,

Hmm... never thought about it that much. I do know, my DH would go crazy if either of our kids (19 & 24) couldn't reach us when necessary. They are wise enough to know not to call unless there's an emergency.

So we always keep our mobiles on. Otherwise it wouldn't be a relaxing trip, I can guarantee you :D BUT our roaming options are OFF. As are our Data access options like gps and such. We never phone out, and depending on who's calling we just don't answer. (NO voicemail!!). Naturally when one of our kids does call, we do answer :D

When in port, first thing we do is find a wifi spot (I love starbucks!) and check in with them through the net... Up till now our phone bills were quite okay. Nothing crazy.:)

Communication At Sea

Telephone: Direct ship-to-shore telephones are provided to each guest stateroom. You may easily place a call to friends, relatives or business associates during your cruise, reception permitting. Similarly, friends and family in the US and Canada may contact Holland America Line ships by direct dialing the following number:

1-866-HAL-SHIP (1-866-425-7447)

From outside the US: 1-732-335-3278

A credit card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The rate is US$16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time specified. Please have the ship name (ms Prinsendam, for example), your party's anme and stateroom number.

Callers at home may also contact each ship directly by dialing the International Access Number (011 from the US), Ocean Code (870) and Ship Number.

Ocean Code: 870

Ship Numbers:

ms Amsterdam: 324-437-011

ms Eurodam: 764-857-176

ms Maasdam: 764-611-948

ms Noordam: 324-602-821

ms Oosterdam: 324-541-710

ms Prinsendam: 324-412-610

ms Rotterdam: 764-663-213

ms Ryndam: 764-092-063

ms Statendam: 764-343-692

ms Veendam: 764-567-077

ms Volendam: 324-596-816

ms Westerdam: 324-412-810

ms Zaandam: 324-644-212

ms Zuiderdam: 324-530-410

ms Nieuw Amsterdam: 765-054-280

For example: Someone calling from the US to the ms Amsterdam would dial 011-870-324-437-011.

Ouch! I didn't know the rate had gone up so much. When I leave a ship's emergency number with people, I always remind them that it's expensive and they might not want to use it to chit-chat.

I've heard horror stories of roaming charges when people didn't know the phone was busy using GPS and so forth.

I have a very cheap pay-as-you-go cell (I call it a "stupid phone") that doesn't let me roam. So a number of years ago I got an unlocked phone and an international pay-as-you-go sim card. I've used it all over the UK and Europe--it even worked in Spitsbergen! It's usually 50 cents a minute. When I used it in Bermuda, I was shocked at how expensive the minutes were. I think it was a few dollars per minute.

Hmm... never thought about it that much. I do know, my DH would go crazy if either of our kids (19 & 24) couldn't reach us when necessary. They are wise enough to know not to call unless there's an emergency.

So we always keep our mobiles on. Otherwise it wouldn't be a relaxing trip, I can guarantee you :D BUT our roaming options are OFF. As are our Data access options like gps and such. We never phone out, and depending on who's calling we just don't answer. (NO voicemail!!). Naturally when one of our kids does call, we do answer :D

When in port, first thing we do is find a wifi spot (I love starbucks!) and check in with them through the net... Up till now our phone bills were quite okay. Nothing crazy.:)

I wonder if I can turn off my roaming and my gps options :confused:. We both have pay as you go phones. I will find out. I wonder if there is a Starbucks in Bermuda:confused:. I will also find out. That was very helpful.

Communication At Sea

Telephone: Direct ship-to-shore telephones are provided to each guest stateroom. You may easily place a call to friends, relatives or business associates during your cruise, reception permitting. Similarly, friends and family in the US and Canada may contact Holland America Line ships by direct dialing the following number:

1-866-HAL-SHIP (1-866-425-7447)

From outside the US: 1-732-335-3278

A credit card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The rate is US$16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time specified. Please have the ship name (ms Prinsendam, for example), your party's anme and stateroom number.

Callers at home may also contact each ship directly by dialing the International Access Number (011 from the US), Ocean Code (870) and Ship Number.

Ocean Code: 870

Ship Numbers:

ms Amsterdam: 324-437-011

ms Eurodam: 764-857-176

ms Maasdam: 764-611-948

ms Noordam: 324-602-821

ms Oosterdam: 324-541-710

ms Prinsendam: 324-412-610

ms Rotterdam: 764-663-213

ms Ryndam: 764-092-063

ms Statendam: 764-343-692

ms Veendam: 764-567-077

ms Volendam: 324-596-816

ms Westerdam: 324-412-810

ms Zaandam: 324-644-212

ms Zuiderdam: 324-530-410

ms Nieuw Amsterdam: 765-054-280

For example: Someone calling from the US to the ms Amsterdam would dial 011-870-324-437-011.

Thanks, I did see that too. In an emergency 16.00 isn't anything but figuring out all those numbers can be!

Ouch! I didn't know the rate had gone up so much. When I leave a ship's emergency number with people, I always remind them that it's expensive and they might not want to use it to chit-chat.

I've heard horror stories of roaming charges when people didn't know the phone was busy using GPS and so forth.

I have a very cheap pay-as-you-go cell (I call it a "stupid phone") that doesn't let me roam. So a number of years ago I got an unlocked phone and an international pay-as-you-go sim card. I've used it all over the UK and Europe--it even worked in Spitsbergen! It's usually 50 cents a minute. When I used it in Bermuda, I was shocked at how expensive the minutes were. I think it was a few dollars per minute.

I have the same type of phone but I don't know if it doesn't let me roam. I will have to find out. What is an "unlocked" phone:confused:

I have the same type of phone but I don't know if it doesn't let me roam. I will have to find out. What is an "unlocked" phone:confused:

In the US, when you buy a phone and a plan, the phone is somehow linked to your provider. Suppose your phone is from ATT and you decide to use another provider, say Verizon. When you put the sim card from Verizon into your ATT phone, your phone won't recognize that sim card because ATT has "locked" the phone to them. That keeps you loyal to them and their plan. (To be fair, they give the phones at great prices or free when you buy a plan) There are codes to unlock a phone, but I've never tried to do that.

From what I've seen, in the UK and Europe, pay-as-you-go is more common, and phones there are not locked to a provider. the downside is the phones tend to be more expensive.

Check with your cell service. Some companies have better roaming options than others. Because my cell isn't a smartphone with lots of apps running in the background, all I ever pay for is the time I'm actually making a call.

I wonder if I can turn off my roaming and my gps options :confused:. We both have pay as you go phones. I will find out. I wonder if there is a Starbucks in Bermuda:confused:. I will also find out. That was very helpful.

I don't think Bermuda has a Starbucks. Unless things have changed, they don't allow fast-food or other such chains. There is (or was) a little KFC in Hamilton that managed to sneak in, but otherwise restaurants and coffee shops are local businesses.

Go to the Bermuda port of call board and ask about wifi. I'm sure someone there will know. Several people who live in Bermuda post over there.

Enjoy your cruise to Bermuda!!

Ok you experienced cruisers I need some advice. I would like to leave an emergency contact # for my son who is going to be in charge of the homestead while we are gone :eek:. He's 29 so I am not worried about any parties (like when he was 18) but he is taking care of the things and if there is an emergency I would like to be available for him. We will be keeping out cell phones off to avoind any roving charges.

We are on the Veendam for a week to Bermuda

What do you do:confused:.

Thanks,

I'm sorry, leave your cell phone on. I have gotten several emergency calls from my pet sitter, she need to tell me about one of my animals. Contacting any other way on a cruise ship is 'pardon me' a joke. Keep that cell phone on. You won't have roving charges unless you use it. If your not going to keep your cell on, why are you taking it?

I'm sorry, leave your cell phone on. I have gotten several emergency calls from my pet sitter, she need to tell me about one of my animals. Contacting any other way on a cruise ship is 'pardon me' a joke. Keep that cell phone on. You won't have roving charges unless you use it. If your not going to keep your cell on, why are you taking it?

Are you sure having the phone on without calling anyone will not incur roving charges? if the phone has apps like GPS, it's checking position all the time, and that means the phone is doing something, even if you're not having a conversation. I've seen threads where people told of very high roaming costs because they kept their cellphones on.

We always keep our mobiles on. Otherwise it wouldn't be a relaxing trip, I can guarantee you :D BUT our roaming options are OFF. As are our Data access options like gps and such OFF. We never phone out, and depending on who's calling we just don't answer. (NO voicemail!!). Naturally when one of our kids does call, we do answer :D

Find your settings (read your manual, it does help :D ) or call your provider at home. They should be able to advise you on your settings. Mostly they've got it somewhere on their websites too. And indeed, don't use any apps, unless you're in a Starbucks, McDonalds, Library or any other place with free wifi.

Daily email ought to be early enough notification of an emergency. What can you do to help between NY and Bermuda anyway? Make sure your son knows how to turn off the water if a pipe breaks and relax. All the terrible or tragic things that can happen can't be fixed with earlier notification. Enjoy your cruise.

Are you sure having the phone on without calling anyone will not incur roving charges? if the phone has apps like GPS, it's checking position all the time, and that means the phone is doing something, even if you're not having a conversation. I've seen threads where people told of very high roaming costs because they kept their cellphones on.

You can turn off data roaming and leave on phone calls so that you can receive calls, but you'll be protected from data charges.

We typically leave our phones off unless we're in a port that is covered by my plan (like New England ports or St. Thomas or PR), but we do check emails on the ship.

Leaving the cruise ship number is a good idea, even if you leave your cell phone on. What if an emergency happened on a sea day or at night?

Archived