Orlando to Port Canaveral-are there tolls?

stargate fan

There are tolls between MCO and Port Canaveral. As I recall a total of $1.50 or $1.75. We brought quarters with us this year as last year we had to go through the "need change" lane and it had a wait.

Can't help you with whether your EZ pass will work, but they do have a pass system. Have you tried looking online at the Florida Highway Department or something?

We are renting a car to get from MCO to Port Canaveral, then after the cruise from the port to Lakeland. Does anyone know if there are tolls on the way? If so, can we pay with $$ or should we bring our own EZPass?

Thanks.

It is my understanding that EZPass will only work on I-95, not on any of the other toll roads in Florida. They have "Sun Pass" and some others I can't recall. We rented a vehicle in Tampa (Hertz) and made the trek to Cocoa Beach after a January 2012 cruise. That vehicle had a large sticker on the dash that indicated we could travel through the express lanes. We then received a bill for about $10 thirty days later on the card that we reserved the vehicle on.

There are tolls between MCO and Port Canaveral. As I recall a total of $1.50 or $1.75. We brought quarters with us this year as last year we had to go through the "need change" lane and it had a wait.

Can't help you with whether your EZ pass will work, but they do have a pass system. Have you tried looking online at the Florida Highway Department or something?

Good idea about checking the highway system online. Thanks.

We are renting a car to get from MCO to Port Canaveral, then after the cruise from the port to Lakeland. Does anyone know if there are tolls on the way? If so, can we pay with $$ or should we bring our own EZPass?

Thanks.

It is going to be $1.50 in tolls (two $.75 tolls between the airport and PC) Your EZPass is useless here as we only use SunPass and E-Pass. So ask for a transponder when you rent the car or bring $$$

currently from MCO to PC via SR-528 you encounter two tolls of 75 cents each. This is a recent change, just a month old or so. Previously there was one toll of $1.50

The toll can be paid cash BUT KEEP TO THE RIGHT - to the left are the electronic lanes and they LOOK LIKE a regular set of lanes with an exit to the right . . . watch signs closely! {as noted it is not unusual for there to be a queue of 10 vehicles or more to pay cash. The wait is only a few minutes but can seem much longer}

CAUTION - how rental companies handle electronic tolls varies WIDELY which means from a few dollars for a BooBoo to $25 plussss (that's per missed toll)

read here https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

and yes, sadly, the Florida e-pass is different from those up north . . .

currently from MCO to PC via SR-528 you encounter two tolls of 75 cents each. This is a recent change, just a month old or so. Previously there was one toll of $1.50

The toll can be paid cash BUT KEEP TO THE RIGHT - to the left are the electronic lanes and they LOOK LIKE a regular set of lanes with an exit to the right . . . watch signs closely! {as noted it is not unusual for there to be a queue of 10 vehicles or more to pay cash. The wait is only a few minutes but can seem much longer}

CAUTION - how rental companies handle electronic tolls varies WIDELY which means from a few dollars for a BooBoo to $25 plussss (that's per missed toll)

read here https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

and yes, sadly, the Florida e-pass is different from those up north . . .

Thanks, this helps a lot! We now have quarters in my wallet.

When returning from trip and heading to Lakeland you will go through the two tolls East of the Orlando airport and then two more ( maybe three ) on the West side heading towards Orlando to catch I-4......Can't remeber how much those tolls are.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...news|text|Home

Drivers on the Beachline using cash will pay 50 cents more between Brevard County and Orlando International Airport, starting July 1, according the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority.

The charge will go up from 75 cents to $1 at each of the two plazas between Brevard and the airport, including the Dallas Mainline Plaza that opened last month.

Drivers with electronic transponders will continue to pay 75 cents at the Dallas plaza and 87 cents at the Beachline Main Plaza, an increase of 12 cents.

I have an EZ Pass and it will not work in Florida. Most FL rental car companies will "rent" you a Sun Pass but it's not worth the extra cost for the small amount in tolls. I bring a zip lock bag with about $5 in quarters and head for the cash or exact change lanes.

Like the previous poster said, avoid the Sun Pass only lanes. Rental car companies charge a big rip off fee for missed tolls.

Lou

The direct route on the Beachline (528 - toll road) which goes direct from the airport (north exit) to the cruise port, will take you about 45 minutes to an hour.

The "scenic" route (no tolls) - north on Semoran (436) to Hwy 50 to 520 to I-95 to 528 will take at least 90 minutes and will feature traveling through such garden spots as Bithlo.

Take some singles and drive the direct route.

There are toll booths with toll takers (actual people) - so bills are fine.

The direct route on the Beachline (528 - toll road) which goes direct from the airport (north exit) to the cruise port, will take you about 45 minutes to an hour.

The "scenic" route (no tolls) - north on Semoran (436) to Hwy 50 to 520 to I-95 to 528 will take at least 90 minutes and will feature traveling through such garden spots as Bithlo.

Take some singles and drive the direct route.

There are toll booths with toll takers (actual people) - so bills are fine.

But if you take quarters the line you will wait in won't be nearly as long.

Archived