Concordia to be re-floated

CENTEX CRUISER

They should make some sort of documentary about the refloating. It's gonna be like a person returning from the grave when that thing floats again. Is it being sent to a salvage yard? Or is it repairable? I would imagine it will be completely destroyed as most people would probably never wanna sail on her after that.

They should make some sort of documentary about the refloating. It's gonna be like a person returning from the grave when that thing floats again. Is it being sent to a salvage yard? Or is it repairable? I would imagine it will be completely destroyed as most people would probably never wanna sail on her after that.

Maybe James Cameron will make a 3-D movie about it.:rolleyes:

There is no doubt that a documentary will be made. There is most likely a long line of potential producers hoping to win the bid to do so. And I would expect not only an American/English producer, but an Italian producer as well, and possible in other languages. This has been a huge story, and I would expect Carnival/Costa to use this as a source of badly needed revenue by selling the rights for said documentaries for a very high price.

As to no one wanting to sail on her again, a name change would hide the fact of it's original notoriety to most potential cruisers, who typically aren't as passionate about cruising to become members of sites such as CruiseCritic or follow the news as closely as we do. It has been done before.

But the ship wasn't the problem (though it's a problem now) - the captain was.

I'm willing to let the Captain have his trial before I agree but yes, there's no reason to think he's anything but to blame.

However, what he did was on THAT ship and few will ever forget that. With so many ships to choose from, why would anyone book that ship?

Costa, as a cruise line, seems to be having trouble filling their cabins.

We were docked with two in Antigua last week and those ships were far from full. It wasn't only me who took careful note of how empty Atlantica and Luminosa appeared.

They have to be struggling to survive, IMO, and more publicity and conversation about Concordia is not going to do them any good.

Is there anyone here who would sail that ship under any flag for any cruise company?

They can't seriously think any cruise line would buy it after restoration, IMO.

But the ship wasn't the problem (though it's a problem now) - the captain was.

At the risk of sounding superstitious, it seems like COSTA has had more than its' share of bad luck. Even if the Concordia is fully restored, new name & flag or not, I'd be really nervous about sailing on it. True, it was the captain's fault, but is the ship now jinxed? Maybe instead of towing it back to port, it should be taken out to sea and sunk.

There are still some bodies that have not been recovered.

Hopefully, if/when they refloat the ship, those poor souls can be found and returned to their families before it is sunk or restored or anything else is done to that ship.

Aside from preserving the beautiful Italian coast and doing no more damage to the environment, finding those remains are all I care they do with that hunk of steel.

JMO.....

Is there anyone here who would sail that ship under any flag for any cruise company? :eek:

They can't seriously think any cruise line would buy it after restoration, IMO.

People have short memories and this is already old news that many in the public have already forgotten about.

At the risk of sounding superstitious, it seems like COSTA has had more than its' share of bad luck. Even if the Concordia is fully restored, new name & flag or not, I'd be really nervous about sailing on it. True, it was the captain's fault, but is the ship now jinxed? Maybe instead of towing it back to port, it should be taken out to sea and sunk.

There is no such thing as being "jinxed". That is medieval superstitions in play. I for one would not hesitate to sail on her again, even with the same name. In my opinion, she is a beautiful ship and she performed as well as can be expected considering that she didn't steer herself into the rock, the captain did. I'll admit that there are some people who let superstitions drive their lives and will avoid it if it is reborn, even with a different name for a different line. I, however, am not superstitious, so if they repair it and it sails again, it would not deter me from sailing on her again if she is doing an itinerary I want to experience. To me this ship is just a mechanical machine, not a supernatural spirit that can't be trusted.

As to sailing on a ship if Captain Schettino were her master, that I would never do because I can no longer trust the man. And it doesn't take superstition to get to that conclusion.

And there is nothing superstitious causing the recent problems at Costa. It is simply due to the failure of corporate management.

Re - a documentary

Last week's NOVA called "Why Ships Sink" had some info on the Concordia. They had some simulations of what happened as she scraped along the rocks, but the most interesting were videos taken by divers showing a strip of the hull torn off and pleated, as if it were no stronger than aluminum foil.

The video is here for those who might be interested: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/why-ships-sink.html.

how many remember thet MONARCH was similarly driven into a well known reef and would have sunk (according to the engineers and investigation) had the Master not beached the ship? Of course this one had no loss of life and the "abandon ship" process was handled smoothly . .

Today MONARCH is very popular and recent news that she'd been sold has brought a flurry of folks trying to get one more ride

http://marinecasualty.com/documents/monarch.pdf

Memories are short unless someone keeps reminding us over and over ala TITANIC . . .

My thinking is they have decided refloating the ship and towing it out is only for environmental reasons for the area where the ship is. If they thought they could cut it up in place without serious environmental concerns, they would. I just can't imagine the insides of that ship being usuable again after sitting in that salt water for a year.

I wouldn't have any superstitions about sailing this ship if they did deem it worthy of a refit (I did sail the Sapphire Princess, which some people were also superstitious about), although Costa itself doesn't really interest me.

how many remember thet MONARCH was similarly driven into a well known reef and would have sunk (according to the engineers and investigation) had the Master not beached the ship? Of course this one had no loss of life and the "abandon ship" process was handled smoothly . .

Today MONARCH is very popular and recent news that she'd been sold has brought a flurry of folks trying to get one more ride

http://marinecasualty.com/documents/monarch.pdf

Memories are short unless someone keeps reminding us over and over ala TITANIC . . .

The Monarch did not lay on its side, semi-submerged, for several months and have dozens of deaths aboard.

Bad example.

People have short memories and this is already old news that many in the public have already forgotten about.

This is true. A new name with a new line, and most people will never know. Only those of us in the know, which are a vast minority, would know the history.

Heck, the fact it sank and received so much media may actually draw business to the ship.

Big difference between sailing on a ship that had an accident and one that has been a final resting place for poor souls. It would almost be an insult to refurbish that ship and use it for profit.

I respectfully disagree. There are two bodies unaccounted for. It they are in the ship, they will be found eventually, removed and a proper burial will be done, just like all the bodies that have been found. If they are not on the ship - the last six bodies were found on the sea bed between the ship and the shore - then their final resting places are elsewhere off the ship.

If we took out of service every ship where someone died, then we'd have to book a cruise on a row boat. Every cruise ship has most likely had at least one death aboard. It's a matter of statistics. When you get 2 to 3 thousand people on board for up to two weeks, it is not unexpected that one of those people may have a heart attack or other fatal incident. From 1999 to 2007, Medical Examiner Offices near Miami ports recorded 130 deaths aboard cruise ships that use these ports. Reference: http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-02-13/correal-deathonboard.html . For that reason, every modern cruise ship has a space that can function as a morgue on board. It's a fact of life.

The woman who lived alone next door died in her kitchen fifteen years ago. It was three days before her daughter found her. Should that house have been left empty or torn down. Absolutely not! The people who live there now are fully aware of the circumstances of her death. Doesn't bother them at all.

It isn't because people died on the ship..... it is because they died needlessly, PROBABLY the result of careless navigation by a cowboy captain, or so it seems, though I again stress, I'll reserve judgment until he has his trial.

People die of natural causes all the time on ships, in hotels, restaurants and just about anywhere else you can name.

It is because it was a horrific way for innocent vacationing people to die that many of us will not sail that ship no matter where or owned by whatever entity.

I don't think I'm particularly superstitious but it creeps me out more than a little those bodies remained in the ship for months without being located and recovered. I would have a hard time 'partying' with that knowledge planted somewhere in the back of my mind.

JMO......

Archived