SantaFeFan

Who do you typically cruise with  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you typically cruise with

• Alone
    • Spouse, partner or friend
    • Family
    • Other friends or couples

We're soon going on our next cruise. We will be with another couple we have cruised with before. I am curious as to if we are the typical cruisers. Who do you cruise with on most of your cruises - alone; spouse, partner, or friend; family; or other friends or couples.

All of our cruises have included our immediate family (DD, DS, DH and myself). One cruise included extended family (DM, DSF, 2 DB's) and two cruise included a friends family (family of 4 with kids same ages as ours).

The next cruise we are researching will includ DH and myself and DH's 2 DB's and their spouses. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary and they will both be celebrating their 30th anniversaries (they are twins).

We're soon going on our next cruise. We will be with another couple we have cruised with before. I am curious as to if we are the typical cruisers. Who do you cruise with on most of your cruises - alone; spouse, partner, or friend; family; or other friends or couples.

Our first cruise in November 2008, was my 75th birthday celebration, we were 11 family & friends, since then, there has only been DW and myself, not counting the numerous friends we’ve made along the way, on our next and 20th cruise, third to Alaska, we’ll be joined by long time and dear childhood friends, from Denmark.

Cato

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier round trip.

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22nd cruise - Caribbean Princess, 7 days, 29 SEP - 06 OCT 2012, Canada/New England

23 & 24th cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

We cruise w/ good friends that we have known as a couple for over 40 yrs and he and I have been buddies since we were 12. Were each other's best man. The two of us are a day apart in age and have a trip on Nieuw Amsterdam booked for this Dec as we are turning 65, 2 and 3 days before sailing. Everyone gets along great and we have enough sense to not always be joined at the hip. Ladies will head out on their own or the guys.

Works great for us. On the other hand, we have a couple from college days and while we are great friends, we can only tolerate his type A behavior for 2 or 3 days at a time, so have had the good sense not to take an extended trip w/ them.

I sail mostly with my husband. We try to take a longer cruise every year around our anniversary. I dream of having our other married friends join us someday. Every time we plan something as a group, the plans fall apart. Oh well, someday :)

Last year we cruised with a couple from a cruising forum, whom we'd met at the naming ceremony of P&O's Azura. We met for a few meals, and joined the choir together, but didn't live in each other's pockets....we may do this again later this year.

Jo.

With the exception of alone, I could check all the choices. I have cruised with just me and my husband, with my family, with family and friends.

A few family and friends we now prefer to leave at home, but most of them are great.

We've been on four cruises so far, three with another couple we enjoy vacationing with. All have been wonderful, and it's nice to have another couple to share experiences with. The one cruise my wife and I took without them was a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We had a great time on that one as well, with ample time together celebrating that we hadn't strangled each other yet. :D

But being a guy, it's nice getting away with a buddy and doing guy things while the ladies are doing girl things. On St. Martin the girls went shopping (boring!) and the boys went to Maho Beach to watch the planes skim across the heads of the beach goers, something that for some odd reason the girls had no interest in. :confused: We always end up spending some of our time split up like this, and it has worked well for us. We have yet another cruise coming up with them.

Solo. I've tried and tried over the years to link up w potential cabinmates on a similar cruise website; with one exception, they've fallen through well before the sail date. (One woman, who was married, seemed to be hoping for a shipboard romance!) Closer to home, I always invite various friends and relations to come along, but there's always something preventing them-- they can't afford even a budget vacation, or they can't get away from a work or family commitment, or they do have some time and money but have it tied up in some other habit, like leaving home in winter and going someplace EVEN COLDER so they can ski, or they're convinced they'd find it somehow boring and claustrophobic, even though they've never cruised before, and even though they're fascinated by my stories and photos when I return. Or some combination of the above.

So I cruise along by myself, enjoying the company of new friends made onboard and made on the "Roll Call" boards...and I hunt bargains. I like Holland America, not only because of the high quality of their product, but also because they don't charge me 200% of the per-person shared-cabin fare.

I would have responded to the poll, but I've experienced every choice, except alone. DH and I have cruised together; we've had 1 son with us; we've had all 3 adult children with us and their spouses; and we've also cruised with friends.

We love time by ourselves, but we also cherish the carefree time that can be spent with family and friends on a cruise. When we cruise with others, we always bill it as a "nobody's joined at the hip" cruise so everyone is free to have a good holiday without feeling obligated to spend time with the others.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Our first few cruises included me, DW, DS, and DD. The past few cruises we have taken a two of DD and DS friends each. DW and I get a cabin, DS gets a cabin, DD gets a cabin. Their parents pay and they are really good friends of my kids and DW and I both know their parents really well. For our upcoming cruise on the Breeze, it will just be DW, DS and I. DD is in college will be spending thanksgiving with my SIL on Long Island. :(

Archived