booking name doesn't match passport

NoobCruise

I've read several different posts now of people being denied boarding because their name on their paper work doesn't match. I've already sent an email to HAL with this question, but they may take a day or 2 to answer. I thought I'd get opinions here, since this info may be important to others as a reminder to check their paper work.

My husband is a Junior. His birth certificate says Jr and his passport says Jr. However, he doesn't use it in his daily life. His drivers license does not have it and his military id card does not have it. My husband booked our Alaskan cruise without the Jr, but the passport has it. He has never had problems flying to other countries. Would this be a problem to cruise? We have plenty of time and will get it changed anyway. I'm just wondering how big of a problem it would have been if we hadn't noticed it since we're only going to Alaska though we'll be stopping it Canada?

I wouldn't call HAL and expect a perfect explanation - They don't make the rules.

I would contact US Customs and Immigration - or simply change the ticket to match what's on the passport.

I've read several different posts now of people being denied boarding because their name on their paper work doesn't match. I've already sent an email to HAL with this question, but they may take a day or 2 to answer. I thought I'd get opinions here, since this info may be important to others as a reminder to check their paper work.

My husband is a Junior. His birth certificate says Jr and his passport says Jr. However, he doesn't use it in his daily life. His drivers license does not have it and his military id card does not have it. My husband booked our Alaskan cruise without the Jr, but the passport has it. He has never had problems flying to other countries. Would this be a problem to cruise? We have plenty of time and will get it changed anyway. I'm just wondering how big of a problem it would have been if we hadn't noticed it since we're only going to Alaska though we'll be stopping it Canada?

My husband is a Sr since his son has the same first and middle name so is a Jr. Husband's passport has Sr, driver's license has Sr. He has never used Sr on any of his airplane ticketing or cruise ship bookings and he's never had a problem.

Why even consider taking the chance? Just change the name on your ticket to match what's on the passport, then you'll have no problems or worries. It just takes a phone call, and reprint your new ticket.

This issue was recently raised on another thread, and it prompted me to look at my booking for a 2013 cruise. The booking invoice did not have my middle name, which is shown on my passport. I called the booking agent and was told that it is not necessary at the booking stage to have the complete name as shown on the passport. We are 3-star Mariners and our complete name has never shown up on the HAL website or on our booking confirmations. Never a problem, however. If I recollect correctly, I think when we check in online, our full name is given.

Quick update, I emailed HAL last night and just got an email back. They went ahead and added the suffix to our booking. I checked online to be sure, and yes, it's correct now. That was easy enough and a fast response from HAL :)

Is it correct that middle name does not have to be on booking? Passport shows first, middle & last name but booking just list first & last name

I treat a cruise booking exactly as i do an airline booking - the name matches my passport exactly. Better to be safe than sorry - especially when you hit some of the more intricate ports that may have tougher immigration rules.

I always give my full middle name when booking a cruise, but I don't think it's ever appeared. Usually, just my middle initial. My passport has my full middle name. I've never had a problem.

As for Jr. and Sr., actually - once the Sr. has died Jr. should drop the suffix. So, I'm not so sure that is really a problem. But, you solved any potential problem, which is always good!

I treat a cruise booking exactly as i do an airline booking - the name matches my passport exactly. Better to be safe than sorry - especially when you hit some of the more intricate ports that may have tougher immigration rules.

We do the same.

I always give my full middle name when booking a cruise, but I don't think it's ever appeared. Usually, just my middle initial. My passport has my full middle name. I've never had a problem.

!

My middle name is 9 letters long. My last name is 8 letters long. So most cruise and airline documents simply use my middle initial instead of my middle name since otherwise the name is too long for their documents.

So far that hasn't caused a problem even though my passport has my middle name on it.

Archived