Question regarding weather on California Coastals

patterson3

Haven't done a coastal per se but did an Alaskan out of San Francisco last July, from the part of the coast on north it certainly wasn't pool weather by my standards, but there was always some people in the pools...

It depends on the weather and where you're sailing. I live very near the coast and the difference in air temperature from perhaps 30 miles inland can be 40-degrees. The other day, it was close to 100-degrees inland and maybe 60 at the shore due to the very cold water. The California Current runs parallel to the coast out of the Gulf of Alaska and is very cold. I'm going to guess that if it's nice and sunny, it'll be warm enough to use the pool; otherwise, probably not.

Pam is right. Temps vary year to year and can be very different depending on coastal location. Southern Calif. generally is warmer in April than Northern Calif. It's really a crap shoot. Take a suit and enjoy your cruise.

Last week on the California Coast you could have fried eggs on the sand. This week not so much! There's always a coolness in our california coastal evenings and even more on the water itself, especially at night.

And, the Golden Gate bridge can be a hit or a miss when it comes to the darn fog.

Last time we cruised, in late March, it rained while in San Francisco....but, nothing can take my breath away faster than the GG Bridge while cruising underneath her!!!! Magnificent!!!!

Usually off the California coast the hot tub would be more comfortable than an outdoor pool! However, I have seen some people brave it.

On my Alaska cruise last summer out of S.F., there was one older gentleman who did laps in the main pool every morning at 7am...and it was cold out! He was nuts :p

Archived