Hotels suggestions for New Orleans

OceanDreams

Fellow CC members I need you help please. We are going to be cruising in August from New Orleans and need some advice on the best Hotel in New Orleans. Is it better to stay close to the port or in the French Quarter area or Garden Area or the Downtown area. I am not familiar at all with New Orleans so any information you can share is great. The price is will be around $100.00 to $150.00.

Thanks in advance.

OceanDreams

Fellow CC members I need you help please. We are going to be cruising in August from New Orleans and need some advice on the best Hotel in New Orleans. Is it better to stay close to the port or in the French Quarter area or Garden Area or the Downtown area. I am not familiar at all with New Orleans so any information you can share is great. The price is will be around $100.00 to $150.00.

Thanks in advance.

OceanDreams

Price will affect where you stay more than anything else. Fortunately, your price range looks as if it will get you anything except perhaps the most up-scale French Quarter hotels - unless there's a big event going on in the city when you're there.

French Quarter: Pro: best location for the most popular tourist spot. Walk to anything. Con: Noisy, busy, rooms generally smaller, amenities fewer, prices higher. Location, location, location.

Downtown area: Pro: bigger hotels, bigger rooms, more choices, hotels have more amenities, not really too far from almost anything if you choose carefully. Con: large conventions book these hotels, they can fill up fast.

Garden District: Pro: fewer tourists, nice boutique-y hotels, but older and smaller again. Con: much farther from the "usual" tourist attractions, although you have a streetcar available to get downtown, which is fun. Fewer hotels to choose from, so availability may be an issue.

Hope that helps. You didn't mention if you're staying pre- or post-cruise, but some of the downtown hotels near the port also have cruise parking packages, if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much....it is very helpful.

We will be flying in New Orleans, but we haven't decided if it will be 1 or 2 days before we cruise .... but we do know that it will be 1 day after our cruise.

Which of the areas are closest to the port?

OceanDreams

• 2 weeks later...

There are several hotels in the "Warehouse" district that are probably the closest to the port. The street name is Convention Center Blvd. or just google "warehouse district hotels new orleans".

Have a great time!:D

There are several hotels in the "Warehouse" district that are probably the closest to the port. The street name is Convention Center Blvd. or just google "warehouse district hotels new orleans".

Have a great time!:D

Thank you so much!

OceanDreams

International House Hotel

221 Camp Street New Orleans, LA 70130

(800) 633-5770

We have stayed there two times and will do so again when we're next in NO. It is north of Canal Street, and as soon as Camp crosses Canal it becomes Chartes Street in the French Quarter. International is a boutique hotel, very friendly, clean and the laundry costs are cheap!! It's about four blocks from the Convention Center and easy walking distance to Jackson Square.

We were just in New Orleans three weeks ago and stayed at the Westin for $100 a night - found on Hotels.com. right on the Mississippi and close to the port of call I believe and within walking distance of the French Quarter.

We are a big fan of Drury (along with a lot of people on this board that suggested it to us).

If you want to see a detailed review of the Drury, here is mine : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30652757&postcount=2

Second half of review with a link to more pictures at the bottom of the review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30652839&postcount=3

I just book the Marriott French Quarter for $75 on priceline name your own price. This is a great location and a 4* hotel. Now to figure out where to park....

This is our favorite hotel in French Quarter

Great location!

Place D'Armes French Quarter

625 St Ann Street, New Orleans

The Place d'Armes is located on Jackson Square and just steps from St Louis Cathedral, Cafe du Monde, and the Mississippi River. Complimentary Continental Breakfast.

Must second this suggestion. Great location, parking lot next door, not far from cruise terminal. ;)

Do any of the hotels close to the terminal, such as the Hilton Garden Inn, allow you to leave a vehicle there while on the cruise?

Marriott Convention Center has one that's where we are staying and leaving our car, for our November cruise.

woody

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising out of NOLA in September and finding affordable hotels has not been easy. We had booked at the Quality Inn & Suites in Gretna (which offers a cruise and park rate of $130 and offers a free shuttle both ways) but I really wanted to be downtown for sightseeing.

I stumbled across lastminutetravel.com on a post on this site and found some amazing deals on NOLA hotels. They are similar to hotwire, where you accept a price not knowing the name of the hotel, only the star rating, area of town, and amenities. It was pretty easy to figure out which hotels were which by looking at the pictures and if you call they will give you the name. We booked rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center for $58 a night!!! The regular price for that hotel is $160 a night. We were also looking at Springhill Suites for $68 on lmt. I would suggest giving them a try.

Finding a deal like that made it possible for us to afford staying downtown and not across the river. Yes, we are going to have to deal with parking, but I can afford that if I am not having to deal with an overpriced hotel :)

Hope this helps,

Michelle

We are paying 166.99 and my dd and sil got there's for 99.00,our room is two beds and there is a queen.you have to go online to book when I called the guy at the reservation number did not know anything about park and cruise package.

woody

We are cruising out of NOLA in September and finding affordable hotels has not been easy. We had booked at the Quality Inn & Suites in Gretna (which offers a cruise and park rate of $130 and offers a free shuttle both ways) but I really wanted to be downtown for sightseeing.

I stumbled across lastminutetravel.com on a post on this site and found some amazing deals on NOLA hotels. They are similar to hotwire, where you accept a price not knowing the name of the hotel, only the star rating, area of town, and amenities. It was pretty easy to figure out which hotels were which by looking at the pictures and if you call they will give you the name. We booked rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center for $58 a night!!! The regular price for that hotel is $160 a night. We were also looking at Springhill Suites for $68 on lmt. I would suggest giving them a try.

Finding a deal like that made it possible for us to afford staying downtown and not across the river. Yes, we are going to have to deal with parking, but I can afford that if I am not having to deal with an overpriced hotel :)

Hope this helps,

Michelle

So these deals dont allow you to leave your vehicle while on the cruise?

josh33...the deals I booked on lmt were just room deals and not for parking. I did call the hotel (Hilton Garden Inn and Suites Convention Center) and asked if they offered a deal on parking if you didn't book the park & cruise rate. They told me that you could leave your car at the hotel and the cost would be $30 for the 1st day and $10 for each day you are on the cruise. Not a bad deal, but I think that we are going to use New Orleans Cruise Ship Parking or Fulton St Parking. They will shuttle you back and forth to the port.

Large number of people on the CC boards like Drury. We have stayed at the Drury twice and really like it, easy walk to alot of things:)

Yup, we have stayed there too and really liked it! The only reason we arean't staying there this time is beause they are renovating and no longer offer the cruise parking deal that they used to.

if you aren't driving, then that won't matter to you :)

Do any of the hotels close to the terminal, such as the Hilton Garden Inn, allow you to leave a vehicle there while on the cruise?

We have booked the Holiday Inn on Royal (in the french quarter) for our upcoming August cruise. They have a cruise and park deal for $149.99 you get one night stay and 8 days parking. :)

Maison St. Charles Comfort Inn & Suites (St. Charles Avenue) on the East edge of the Garden District but not far from Downtown, Warehouse District, French Quarter or the port. Much quieter than French Quarter for sure. Street car runs right in front of it. Emeril Lagasse's restaurant, Delmonico, is just across the street, Wendy's restaurant next door, and many other places in between to choose from. We really enjoyed our stay there.

josh33...the deals I booked on lmt were just room deals and not for parking. I did call the hotel (Hilton Garden Inn and Suites Convention Center) and asked if they offered a deal on parking if you didn't book the park & cruise rate. They told me that you could leave your car at the hotel and the cost would be $30 for the 1st day and $10 for each day you are on the cruise. Not a bad deal, but I think that we are going to use New Orleans Cruise Ship Parking or Fulton St Parking. They will shuttle you back and forth to the port.

Got it... Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

For our cruise this past March (2012) we stayed at the Maison St. Charles Quality Inn and Suites on St. Charles Avenue (east end of the Garden District). We have stayed on the edge of the French Quarter for past trips and were very pleased with the Maison St. Charles (will definitely stay there again). The area is quieter, very lovely, walkable to many eating spots, etc. Street car stops right in front of the hotel which can connect you to all of the popular areas at very little cost - and a great way to see the sites !! Also, it was only about 10 minutes by cab to the port.

Archived