Kindle downloads aboard ship?

casavaha

I received the messages when I bought books using the 3G service, too. Never purchased periodicals.

I was able to buy books (for free- other than the cost of the book, if any) everywhere my cell phone got a signal - and they download as quick as they do at home - in seconds.

Yes. That's exactly the same as I posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For goodness sake the Internet is so slow on any ship at sea or in port. It would cost you a fortune to download anything. At 75 per minute or even if you purchase internet time in a package. I would never think of using the ships WiFi for a kindle. Better, perhaps in the ports but then you would have to pay for connection at the Internet Cafes. It might be cheaper.

Download as many books and you can. Can you not use a flash stick and have a few books on the stick then just down load into your kindle. I am just asking. I am not technically certain that this can be done at all. But since I love to read on my cruises I can understand everyone wanting books or news.

While on the Caribbean Princess in March, the latest issue of Bon Appetit arrived on my Nook Tablet. Since I could not figure out a way to stop the download and do it later, I just let it go ahead. This is a big magazine with loads of pictures and it downloaded in just a few minutes.

I'm sure you've heard this already but if you log onto the wifi, be sure you log off when you're done.

• 1 month later...

I just got a kindle 3g touch. Can I download Cruise Critic boards on there or do I have to go to the computer for that? Also anybody have experience with the games you can download to Kindle -- fake slots keep my pocketbook much fatter than Princess slots do!

I have a Kindle Fire. I am checking the free books on Amazon daily to see if there are new ones that interest me and downloading now. My trip is in 6 weeks and I should have plenty new reads (and games maybe)by then so I won't have to fool with the fickle ship internet. Just the browsing to see what I want would take forever. I do intent to get an internet package but only to check e-mail and banking.

I have the 3G+Wifi keyboard kindle. To download from the ships wifi, you may have to pop into the "experimental" browser to sign on, but it works like a charm.

A benefit of the 3G keyboard model is that 3G web access through the experimental browser is free worldwide, and available in over 100 countries. It makes a great emergency browser if you have to look up something while you're in port and your other devices don't play nicely (or cheaply) with the local cell provider.

I had heard rumored that this access was not guaranteed for the newer 3G models, but would love to be corrected on that!

I have a Kindle Fire. I am checking the free books on Amazon daily to see if there are new ones that interest me and downloading now. My trip is in 6 weeks and I should have plenty new reads (and games maybe)by then so I won't have to fool with the fickle ship internet. Just the browsing to see what I want would take forever. I do intent to get an internet package but only to check e-mail and banking.

I got my Kindle Fire right before our Diamond Princess cruise in May. I checked Amazon for free books too. I also learned how to get ebooks from my library. Put a lot of the ebooks on my wish list and the day before I left downloaded 7 books. Can keep them for 21 days. After the 21 days, I was able to download another 7 from my wish list using the ship's internet. The process went fairly quickly. During the cruise, I was told about "Books on the Knob" that has free or "good deals" everyday. Go to their website and sign up and you will receive a daily email listing free books for your Kindle. I even downloaded some of these while on the ship. Also, did you know that Amazon.com has a free android app (game) each day that you can download.

We were just on the Caribbean Princess for a British Isles cruise. My sister had a new Kindle Fire and she had a lot of trouble using it for email or the Internet. Reading books already on it was fine. We finally went to the Internet cafe and asked the man in charge about the Kindle Fire. Before we even finished the questions he said the Kindle Fire won't work with their Internet. Something about it downloading too fast. Now maybe he just didn't want to fool with it, but that's what he said.

Before we even finished the questions he said the Kindle Fire won't work with their Internet. Something about it downloading too fast. Now maybe he just didn't want to fool with it, but that's what he said.

In other words, Princess Internet too slow.

I knew it would be hard on my Kindle. I had already figured I would go to the internet cafe for e-mailing and banking. I like a big screen and keyboard for that. Easier on the eyes and the keys are bigger. I don't know how so many people can do all that on little phones. I can make the type bigger for reading on my Kindle. I'm getting too old.:o

about the Kindle Fire. Before we even finished the questions he said the Kindle Fire won't work with their Internet. Something about it downloading too fast. Now maybe he just didn't want to fool with it, but that's what he said.

We were on the Diamond Princess 35 days and I had no problem connecting to the ship's internet and downloading books or apps (games) to my Kindle Fire. My only problem was making sure that I was disconnected from the internet. Didn't use the Kindle Fire to send emails or search the web. Used my laptop for that.

[quote name='casavaha']I just purchased a kindle and was wondering if anyone downloaded content aboard
ship. I have a few newspaper subscriptions and was hoping they would download each day.

Greg[/quote]

In addition to the comments others have posted, I should add that I have found it much easier (not to mention cheaper) to download newspapers on land, when in port. When on the ship, I pretty much had to go to or near the Internet cafe at a non-busy time in order to get enough speed to get the newspaper downloaded in any reasonable amount of time (even though I had WiFi access in my cabin). That said, I did and do download the newspaper every day wherever I travel--nice to have.

Oh, another tip, take off the automatic download so you can do the download manually wherever and whenever you wish to do it.

Archived