"deadliest catch" crab boat tour - Ketchikan

lily23star

We did this tour a couple of years ago. We were the first cruise ship of the year, so there weren't a lot of people signed up, which made it a small, intimate group. It was fantastic!! We had so much fun and learned a lot. It is not hokey. Go--you won't be sorry.

We have done this tour twice and will be doing it again this year. We really enjoy hearing the real-life stories of the crew and seeing the eagles flying in masses near the boat. Some marine life will be shown and you will have an opportunity to hold it if you wish. Near the end of the tour, people will line up for photo opportunities with the crew --- your camera will be given to a young lady and she will take your picture for you --- a nice memento of the tour.

Karen

We did it last year and really enjoyed it as well. Derrick, who took over for Phil on the Cornelia Marie, was even on our tour. It was so exciting to get to meet him. You should do it. Especially if you are a fan of the show.

You should know, they were not feeding the eagles last year like they used to. So don't count on that. I had read about it and didn't tell my DH so he would be surprised. Turns out I was the one surprised when they didn't do it. It had something to do with a new ferry pier on the island.

We're also big DC fans, and this was the first excursion we booked, immediately after booking the cruise itself. We went in late May last year. Derrick Ray met us at our ship, and walked with us over to the Aleutian Ballad. Great stories, lots of fun. Super friendly, personable crew - it's one excursion I would book again my next trip up.

If you have people in your group that haven't seen the show, in the galley/shop, they have the clips of the Aleutian Ballad getting hit with the rogue wave. Pretty impressive to watch the footage while you're standing on that same ship, just below the wheelhouse where it was filmed.

I'm also a huge fan of the show and thought the tour was pretty well done. It is pretty amazing to hear teh stories from guys that have actually lived thru the real experience.

They are all really nice guys.

You should know, they were not feeding the eagles last year like they used to. So don't count on that. I had read about it and didn't tell my DH so he would be surprised. Turns out I was the one surprised when they didn't do it. It had something to do with a new ferry pier on the island.

Last year we also were surprised when the feeding did not take place. So, before I booked again this year I called the tour company to get an update on the construction project. I was told the aspect that affected the feeding of the eagles was complete and we should be seeing the feeding again this year.

If anyone has any doubts, I would suggest calling or e-mailing the tour company.

Karen

Truly Fantastic! I have done it several times and send all my family & friends on it. I loved seeing the wildlife up close & hearing all the stories. The scenery was gorgeous as well. It's well worth the $$. This writeup was written when they were feeding the eagles - it was spectacular!

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bering-sea-crab-fishermans-tour.html

Truly Fantastic! I have done it several times and send all my family & friends on it. I loved seeing the wildlife up close & hearing all the stories. The scenery was gorgeous as well. It's well worth the $$. This writeup was written when they were feeding the eagles - it was spectacular!

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bering-sea-crab-fishermans-tour.html

Thanks for all the great reviews of this tour. I booked it this evening.

I suggest booking directly with the tour operator:

http://56degreesnorth.com/default.asp?pageid=16

It was around $40 cheaper than the vendor that experienceketchikan.com takes you to.

I leave for Alaska June 2nd. I've already made my reservation for the crab boat excursion. I'm also a fan of the DC, I guess anyone who makes a reservation for that tour would be a fan of the show.

We loved this excursion. We did book directly with Holland America because the price was exactly the same as on the tour site. Capt. Derrick was on the pier as we got off our ship and directed us down to the Aleutian Ballad. There were 10 of us in our family on this trip, from 72 to 12 years of age. We had an amazing time. The photo they took of us ended up being our Christmas card.

Has anyone done the Deadliest Catch crab boat tour? We are big fans of that show, but I just wondered if the tour was worth the money, or if it was rather hokey. Thanks! We will be in Ketchikan on June. 10, I think.

Just remember that Ketchikan is further from the actual crab area (Dutch Harbor) than New York is from New Orleans. This is not the real thing, it's done for tourists

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=PAAM-KTN%0D%0ALGA-MSY&MS=wls&DU=mi

Yes, it is done for tourists and is in close in waters. They actually fish in Alaskan Native waters as the Alaska DNR would have nothing of them "fishing"/"crabbing" out of season. They still drop crab pots and pull up pots. They show you the different types of crabs that they fish for and we actually got to handle many types of crab. They talk about managing the fisheries and Derrick answered any and all questions about the show. All of the hosts on the boat have fished the Bering Sea.

Think of going on a tour at Jack Daniels, which is in a dry county. Take the JD tour and you get a glass of lemonade....not a sample of JD. The tour is "just for the tourists".

We went to Alaska 3 years ago in Sept 2009 & the husband STILL talks about his trip on the Aleutian Ballad - he had such a great time. :) And yes, he's a HUGE fan of Deadliest Catch.

We're going back to AK this Sept & he hasn't made up his mind yet whether or not he wants to repeat this excursion or try something different. ($1 says he goes back ;)).

We have done at least 7 cruises to Alaska, and although we have seen and done a lot of things, we certainly have not seen it all.

However, the Alaskan crab boat excursion on the Aleutian Ballad is one of the best and most enjoyable excursions we have ever done. The crew is very friendly and approachable.

If you watch or have ever watched "Deadliest Catch" this excursion will get you as close to a crab boat as most of us will ever want to get. And, you get to ask the questions you have been wanting to ask. The Captain even let me spend some time in the wheelhouse. The eagle feeding was awesome!

Susan - I see you're going on the Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary. Tell your DH to look carefully in the harbor at both Homer and Kodiak. We saw the Time Bandit in Homer in June of 2010 and I even got my photo taken w/one of the crew members in front of the boat. It was awesome for this DC fan! There is a Time Bandit store on the Spit, and I met Andy and Jonathan's Mom there this past August - spent a good 20 minutes just chatting with her. She LOVES her boys! Unfortunately, the Time Bandit wasn't in port this past August, she said they were down in Ketchikan helping w/the salmon run (so also check there when in port). In Kodiak in 2010, the Cornelia Marie was in port - even though our ditzy cab driver denied it was there:rolleyes:....sigh....so we missed it. But others on our Roll Call got some great close-up shots of it. So the boats ARE out there, keep your eyes peeled and you may get lucky!

Hi

I was in Homer last year and none of the deadiest boats were in port. I was on the Amsterdam. I am going back again this year I be there on July7.

I wrote to the deadiest cast web site and the boat will not be in port that day. They will be out fishing

MAry

Thats a shame, Mary - because it was truly a thrill to see the Time Bandit up close and personal, and get my picture in front of it - with a crew member no less! It is now proudly on my screen saver on my work computer, and I dream about my trip back in 2013. Lucky you to be going back again - enjoy yourself!

We did this June 2010 and it was fantastic. We enjoyed every aspect of it including the holding of the animals, eagle feeding and more. Probably won't do it this year as there is so much else to see in Alaska but we do agree it was our most memorable excursion yet.

Archived