first ever cruise . island escape

trap5

Must admit I was a little bit worried about banging noises that some have complained about. I've booked 7548 on Emerald, does anyone know if that should be OK please.

We had a cabin in that area last year but on other side....it was fine and as RR says ideally situated for the pub ...but you don't hear it in the cabin...

We found we needed to get to the show lounge at least half an hour before it starts to get a decent seat.....but we did sit at the back on a couple of occasions and it wasn't too bad.

We went to Deck 11 to watch the Deck parties (looking down on all the fun).....

If you want a shadey quiet spot, we always managed to find a sunbed under the lifeboats on Deck 9 forward lift up (forward lifts the quickest) and just out of the door......bar waiters visited regularly !!

Thanks both for the tips. Certainly will get into the show lounge early, I love it, 13 nights on Dream last year and never missed one. People I spoke to who'd been on the larger and what they regarded as more 'up-market' cruise ships said the entertainment was better by far.

And I'll definitely look for the shady spot as it will be very hot, also the deck 11 tip I'd never have thought about that and we've got two sailaways.

Just the homework to do about making the most of the destinations now although we've been to some of them already so we'll make the most of it while everyone else is ashore.

My only criticism of the Island Escape :eek:

Them bloody photographers get everywhere....:rolleyes: get off the ship they are there go for dinner they are there..go to the theatre they are there

on the sun bed...you've guessed it they are there If you bought a photo every time!! probably cost you £200 :confused:

Can't remember if they were in the loo or not :D

This reminds me of our first cruise. Didn't know about CC and couldn't stand the thought of Stuffy cruises. Along came IE. We went in ( probably ) the first year and loved it, can't remember anything bad. Next tried Island Star, loved that too, then they (FC/RCI ) got rid of it. Next came 6 Ocean Village cruises on 1 & 2 to the med and Caribean. Loved those as well and then P&O closed that one down. Next was NCL. That was good, loved that as well. Then time to bite the bullet and try RCI, loved Independance of the Seas. Easily pleased ?, probably. Loved ALL the cruises including the Nile. So quite a good range to make a comment on.

Go on your IE Cruise and expect an informal and good quality cruise. Some ships will be a bit glitzier, some more formal and some a lot more stuffy. At the right price/itinerary we would go back on IE in a heart beat. Have a great cruise.

Well I've just found this forum,,what's taken me so long!! I'm going on my first cruise on the I.E. as well on 7th aug,,thats now only just over a week away and I'm getting very very excited :) I booked all our shore excursions on the Thomson website after much umming and ahhing about what to do. Glad I have now as I can just relax and know that husband and I can just get on the coach and get off in Rome or wherever. We were going to make our own way about but then a few people pointed out that if you have gone off indepndently and are late the ship won't wait but if there is a coachload of you it will,,took that into consideration and went for the easy option for this particular trip. Can't wait,,I am ignoring the bad reviews I have read shortly after booking it because all you lovely people have been so helpful and said good things about it..so We are going and we are damn well going to have fun and enjoy it. This sounds just my cup of tea,,I love Benidorm personally,,the nightlife and cabarets etc so this ship's entertainment will suit me down to the ground,,and husband dear will get his sightseeing and culture fix during the day!

One question ...have booked an outside cabin on either deck 5 or 6,,do the windows open? Is that a silly question??? Sorry if it is. :o

It would be nice sometimes if the windows did open...but as RR says they don't!! You do have air conditioning in the cabin which we were very grateful for on our recent cruise as the temperature outside never went below 30 degs for the whole two weeks!!

We were on Deck 6 and would choose that again ....:)

It would be nice sometimes if the windows did open...but as RR says they don't!! You do have air conditioning in the cabin which we were very grateful for on our recent cruise as the temperature outside never went below 30 degs for the whole two weeks!!

We were on Deck 6 and would choose that again ....:)

Thanks for that Jenny Wren, we're also on deck 6 (cabin 6060) in April, so it's good to hear that you would choose it again...sounds ok :)

Yes Deck 6 is a good one to choose...same deck as Island Restaurant just along the corridor...one deck down to Reception...two decks up to Promenade deck if you want to go outside, not too many stairs!!

One thing to avoid is the midships lifts which take ages to arrive...just walk forward when you come out of the cabin and there are more lifts there which are hardly used!!

If you want a quiet shady spot go up in these lifts and out of the door onto deck and there are some loungers under the lifeboats there!! :)

Archived